or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Olympus 6020- Opinions please- REVIEW 6/21

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Now that my LCD is busted on my Lumix, my local camera shop enthusiastically suggested this New Olympus 6020 camera

 

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1496&page=specs

 

freeze-proof down to 14 degrees (keep in mind if it's in a pocket, even below 0 should be ok. (As a note, my Lumix froze on me a few times)

 

shock proof - can be dropped 5 feet-

 

Water proof

 

this site has a lot of good details, note- tap feature so you don't have to take glvoes off to operate, water proof lens- lens won't get water spots.

 

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/02/02/the-olympus-stylus-tough-8010-6020-are-begging-for-pain-and-suffering/#comments

 

Let me know your thoughts

 

 


Edited by Finndog - 6/14/10 at 10:56am
post #2 of 13

Nothing worse than having to learn a new camera all over again. Why not another Panny, you loved the other one?

post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 

what's to learn? It's a point and shoot. this camera is smaller, lighter, waterproof, shock proof and better in cold. It has some nice features like ability to take pics without having to take off gloves and treated lens to protect from water marks.  Also shoots in 720 hd (not the lumix compressed verion) and has the direct HDMI out to monitor/tv. What's not to like? The Lumix is a great camera for sure but it froze on me several times and broke without being dropped. Seems like a camera built and intended to be used by outdoor/athletic folks makes sense.

post #4 of 13

Come on Phil, we all know that Finn just wants something "new"!  He'll sell it off to one of us at a steep discount in a few months if he doesn't like it.

 

Mike
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

Nothing worse than having to learn a new camera all over again. Why not another Panny, you loved the other one?

post #5 of 13

Finn,

 

Found a more detailed review here: http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets/review-olympus-stylus-tough-6020-digital-camera-20100420/

 

As usual for point and shoots, mostly good stuff and, with all the time you spend on the mountain, the freeze proof is a nice feature.

 

Personally, I'm always frustrated with the amount of time it takes from turn on to first shot. Then, subsequent shots have time delays. That's the nature of the beast and the camera that really fixes this will be a best seller. From the review, I think the Olympus will be a little slower than your Panasonic.

 

Price is reasonable, I say give it a go. As MikeC says, if you don't like it, a fellow Bear will buy it. For sure, we need pics from upcoming trip to Chile!!!

post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 


And you are complaining?    Mike, watch for summer gear sale coming up....

 

Actually, I am really bummed that the LCD broke. It's a really nice camera and only a year old. BTW- Panasonic charges a flat, 200 fee for all repairs.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post

Come on Phil, we all know that Finn just wants something "new"!  He'll sell it off to one of us at a steep discount in a few months if he doesn't like it.

 

Mike
 


 
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 


Thaks Mike, I went to the site and read the review. I fond the comments from users very interesting as it seems they had some very good info the actaul reveiwer missed. The slowness can be greatly improved with an easy setting on the camera. One reviewer uses it much like we do, but for mtn bkiing and finds it a graet camera for it's use. Kind of like skis?  Nice fat board on a powder day rocks but no so good on boiler-plate. I didn't buy it yet but I think after reading this reveiw and the comments, I will.  Oh and yes, I will certainly be taking a lot of pics for the summer stokes!  64 days to go...
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Proof View Post

Finn,

 

Found a more detailed review here: http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets/review-olympus-stylus-tough-6020-digital-camera-20100420/

 

As usual for point and shoots, mostly good stuff and, with all the time you spend on the mountain, the freeze proof is a nice feature.

 

Personally, I'm always frustrated with the amount of time it takes from turn on to first shot. Then, subsequent shots have time delays. That's the nature of the beast and the camera that really fixes this will be a best seller. From the review, I think the Olympus will be a little slower than your Panasonic.

 

Price is reasonable, I say give it a go. As MikeC says, if you don't like it, a fellow Bear will buy it. For sure, we need pics from upcoming trip to Chile!!!

post #8 of 13

Me complain?  Never!

 

Summer sale?  Looking forward to it.  Actually, I'll be putting some stuff up soon as well.  Arc Scorpion and a couple of pairs of ski pants at a minimum.

 

Have a great time on your Southern Hemisphere trip!

 

Mike
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post


And you are complaining?    Mike, watch for summer gear sale coming up....

 

Actually, I am really bummed that the LCD broke. It's a really nice camera and only a year old. BTW- Panasonic charges a flat, 200 fee for all repairs.
 


 
post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 

Mike size and color please? 

post #10 of 13

I'm assuming you mean the Scorpion, Large in Woodsmoke (dark brown).  Perfect condition.  Just don't ski in it enough to justify keeping it.

 

Mike
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

Mike size and color please? 

post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 

Sorry Mike, medium pants. BUT that's a really nice pant and the woodsmoke color is sweet!

post #12 of 13

Let me clarify.  Arc Scorpion is a Jacket, not pants, in large and woodsmoke color.  Pants I have to sell are a pair of brown insulated Oakely bibs and a pair of bright green shell pants from Bonfire.  Both pairs of pant are also larges.

 

Mike
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

Sorry Mike, medium pants. BUT that's a really nice pant and the woodsmoke color is sweet!

post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 

I picked the 6020 up this weekend.  http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1496#/colorChoices

 

  BackOlympus Tough-6020 Waterproof 14-megapixel digital camera with HD video recording

 

 

Good camera for outdoor sports. water and shock proof and wont freeze down to 14. Decent performance, fits easily into pockets, thinner than a pack of cigarettes, a bit larger. Lite weight. good functionality, no nonsense one-handed performance. Good LCD brightness, 720hd. no exposed buttons or levers/dials.  NOTE: when camera is off, the lens is covered.

 

LIKES:

design: size, weight are good.  Also, its designed for sports and using outdoors. It has great ergonomics, no protruding parts, on/off button, shutter button are on top and easy to use but slightly resessed as to not be pushed easily.   zoom buttons are on backside, not a slide lever, it's just a litle different but no levers to break.  Also, to change funtions of camera, there's nothing that slides or rotates. This is good as once you set the camera, it won't get changed around in your pocket or pack.  The lumix dial was always getting moved.

 

image stabilization

 

waterproof, shock resistant, won't freeze down to 14 which is OK since it's in your pocket.

 

LCD is penty large and very bright, not as prone to washout on sunny days

 

Typical point and click operation but it's clean and simple to navigate and change settings.  For each setting, like Intelligent auto, you can preset the sub settings for pic resolution, settings for snow, underwater, high speed burst capapbility and so on. Very easy.

 

Burst function- the 6020 has a very cool burst function, you can set it for burst capability (it will drop resolution to 3megs) but you can control the  amount of the frames it shoots, so instead of prssing it down and it fires off 6 or 8 pics, you can hold the aperature (not sure of the right term or spelling) down for as many frames as you want it to take!  very cool. Not as quick as the Lumix but enough.

 

All ports are covered by a water tight hatch. - nothing is exposed

 

Internal 1gig memory- you won't useit but I have forgotten to put my card back in the camera a couple of times, at least you have something in case of emergency

 

720 HD, one button recording. I tested it, it works very well, You can zoom in/out while recording. I know some cams that you can't do this with

 

direct HDMI out to TV.

 

 

Dislikes:  It's a little slow. It's not deadly slow but it could be faster.

 

Zoom, 5x but hey, it's a tradeoff. its good enough, not to "bob" standards...... 

 

overall? I have to use it more but in the limited time I have played with it, I really like it. No it's not going to be a pro camera but it's more than adequate for taking pics for TR's and shooting some vids. Nice to have the outdoors oriented features and to not have to worry about getting damaged in pack or jacket on a fall and it does come in cool colors too!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: