or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Free Race Camp, 2011 - Page 14

post #391 of 543



oops,  I'll have it to you tomorrow......

Quote:
Originally Posted by vail snopro View Post

Noodler- That is correct. We want to have to groups organized (for the most part) prior to everyone arrival, but understand there may be some tweaking to balance everything out.

 

The following is a list of those we have received the registration forms from-

 

REVISED LIST AS OF 1/15/11

 

klkaye

mefree30

ay_nyc

chase

skibum357

rafael1010

michelleld

agent 5

liquid feet

rick hahn

comprex

segbrown

garyskr

uboom

snowfan

noodler

mike_m 

papoose

guroo

ittybittymle 

 

 

Still waiting to hear from -

 

skier31

jenise jensen

herminator

rcahill

skier j

vsirin

ski collie 1

bob glover

mr vertical

lone wolf210

bumpfreaq

crystal allen

 

 

Come on! We need to know for sure who is in and out! The snow is fantastic, so get your form in to us!

post #392 of 543

Jenise Jensen is not attending.  Thanks.

post #393 of 543

I sent the data form by email this morning. 

post #394 of 543

I sent my data as well via email. Thank you.

post #395 of 543

As of 1/17/11, this is the current list-

 

 

 

The following is a list of those we have received the registration forms from-

 

REVISED LIST AS OF 1/17/11

 

klkaye

mefree30

ay_nyc

chase

skibum357

rafael1010

michelleld

agent 5

liquid feet

rick hahn

comprex

segbrown

garyskr

uboom

snowfan

noodler

mike_m 

papoose

guroo

ittybittymle 

skier31

skier j

bumpfreaq

 

 

 

Still waiting to hear from -

 

herminator

rcahill

vsirin

ski collie 1

mr vertical

lone wolf210

crystal allen 

post #396 of 543

just sent my form via email

Jake

post #397 of 543

The following is a list of those we have received the registration forms from-

 

REVISED LIST AS OF 1/18/11

 

klkaye

mefree30

at_nyc

chase

skibum357

rafael1010

michelleld

agent 5

liquid feet

rick hahn

comprex

segbrown

garyskr

uboom

snowfan

noodler

mike_m 

papoose

guroo

ittybittymle 

skier31

skier j

bumpfreaq

lonewolf210

 

 

 

Still waiting to hear from -

 

herminator

vsirin

ski collie 1

mr vertical

crystal allen  

post #398 of 543

thought I'd share this awesome article since we will NO DOUBT be discussing biomechanics and movement at camp!

 

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/18/health/nutrition/18best.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

post #399 of 543

I am fliying out of NZ Sunday 23 rd. Jan so will need imeeting arrangements ( time and place) before then.

Looking forward to meeting you all. 

post #400 of 543
Thread Starter 

We're only a week away from camp.  Just a reminder to come with skis that are freshly tuned and waxed.  Edges should be smooth and sharp, and the bases well saturated with wax.  All the coaches will have scrapers/brushes/stones etc for prepping your skis at the start area, but we won't be able to do much for you if your bases are dry, and your edges are trashed.  Also, bring some additional wax with you for day 2.  

post #401 of 543

Since we're about a week away I'd like to dredge up the "what ski should I use?" discussion again.

 

For the Breck NASTAR course what would be the ideal sidecut radius?

 

I have two skis I'm considering for this (but I do have more wink.gif).  I have a rec. race ski that's 66mm underfoot and 12.9m radius.  However, I was thinking that another non-race ski that's 72mm underfoot with a 14.4m radius might actually be better for this purpose.  Flex pattern, construction, and length are almost identical between the skis.

post #402 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by uboom View Post

I am fliying out of NZ Sunday 23 rd. Jan so will need imeeting arrangements ( time and place) before then.

Looking forward to meeting you all. 



Right now we are scheduled to meet at the Coppertop Restaurant at the bottom of the Beaver Run Chair on Peak 9.  You can take the Red Route Bus in from either the free or paid lots to the Beaver Run area. Info can be found as to where these parking areas are on www.breckenridge.com . I think the meeting time we discussed was 8 AM

 

post #403 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodler View Post

Since we're about a week away I'd like to dredge up the "what ski should I use?" discussion again.

 

For the Breck NASTAR course what would be the ideal sidecut radius?

 

I have two skis I'm considering for this (but I do have more wink.gif).  I have a rec. race ski that's 66mm underfoot and 12.9m radius.  However, I was thinking that another non-race ski that's 72mm underfoot with a 14.4m radius might actually be better for this purpose.  Flex pattern, construction, and length are almost identical between the skis.


I'd go with the 72mm underfoot pair.

post #404 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post

We're only a week away from camp.  Just a reminder to come with skis that are freshly tuned and waxed.  Edges should be smooth and sharp, and the bases well saturated with wax.  All the coaches will have scrapers/brushes/stones etc for prepping your skis at the start area, but we won't be able to do much for you if your bases are dry, and your edges are trashed.  Also, bring some additional wax with you for day 2.  


Rick, thanks for the heads-up.  I have one question -- by wax do you mean bring rub-on-all-purpose-wax in a container with a cork?  Or hot wax?

post #405 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidFeet View Post


Rick, thanks for the heads-up.  I have one question -- by wax do you mean bring rub-on-all-purpose-wax in a container with a cork?  Or hot wax?


 

Hot wax, if possible: it saturates the base structure and lasts far longer.  A rub-on is good for spot-checks, but you'll really want something more hardy as your base layer.

post #406 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by songfta View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidFeet View Post


Rick, thanks for the heads-up.  I have one question -- by wax do you mean bring rub-on-all-purpose-wax in a container with a cork?  Or hot wax?


 

Hot wax, if possible: it saturates the base structure and lasts far longer.  A rub-on is good for spot-checks, but you'll really want something more hardy as your base layer.

 

Oh, you mean we should bring our irons etc and tune them the night before in the hotel room, which I can do.  Right?  or will there be irons in a shack at the start area?

post #407 of 543
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidFeet View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post

We're only a week away from camp.  Just a reminder to come with skis that are freshly tuned and waxed.  Edges should be smooth and sharp, and the bases well saturated with wax.  All the coaches will have scrapers/brushes/stones etc for prepping your skis at the start area, but we won't be able to do much for you if your bases are dry, and your edges are trashed.  Also, bring some additional wax with you for day 2.  


Rick, thanks for the heads-up.  I have one question -- by wax do you mean bring rub-on-all-purpose-wax in a container with a cork?  Or hot wax?


Wax for ironing on.  I'm hoping to set up a waxing session Saturday night in the Luxury, so we can have a fresh coat on for the 2nd day race course.  

 

For those who's skis don't get waxed regularly, I advise applying a few coats before coming, scraping between coats.  It will act to clean your bases, while saturating them deeply with wax.

 

As to what wax to bring, hydrocarbons are fine.  They're the cheaper variety.  Fluoro  waxes, do not generally provide justifiable bang for the buck here in our dry Colorado snow.  Bring a range of color/temp wax, so we can wax appropriately.  Any of the common brands, Toko, Swix, Holmenkol, etc are fine.

post #408 of 543
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodler View Post

Since we're about a week away I'd like to dredge up the "what ski should I use?" discussion again.

 

For the Breck NASTAR course what would be the ideal sidecut radius?

 

I have two skis I'm considering for this (but I do have more wink.gif).  I have a rec. race ski that's 66mm underfoot and 12.9m radius.  However, I was thinking that another non-race ski that's 72mm underfoot with a 14.4m radius might actually be better for this purpose.  Flex pattern, construction, and length are almost identical between the skis.



Those skis are close enough in radius it will come down to which ski is raw faster.

 

The 66 rec racer will be quicker for you from edge to edge, which will be an advantage.  It may also be a bit stiffer, which will carve better through the ruts and any hard snow we may encounter, and provide more energy exiting the turn.  Of course, that's dependent on the model, age of the ski, etc.  

 

The 66 will turn a wee bit sharper, so arc to arc will be cake, but you'll have to be very careful to not over turn.  Be ready to release the turn barely after it's begun.  The 14.4's will have a similar issue, just not quite as dramatic.

 

Bases are another factor.  Some just run faster than others.  In the end, bringing both and testing for yourself which runs and performs best is always an option for a local guy like you.

 

 

To everyone:

When I said "hard snow" above, I just want to reassure everybody.  I've been skiing on the Breck NASTAR course for 5 years, and have never seen anything even resembling Northeastern ice.  The course snow condition here a usually hero grade.  

post #409 of 543

 I need to learn how to hold my carve on Northeastern ice!  How about injecting your hero stuff?

post #410 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidFeet View Post

 I need to learn how to hold my carve on Northeastern ice!  How about injecting your hero stuff?


Hmm.... [ ponders ]  There is injection equipment in the area, owned by Vail Resorts, but.... I don't think they'll relocate it to Breck's NASTAR hill for our camp's purposes. Alas.... rolleyes.gif

 

The skills you learn at camp will translate well to the boilerplate of the east, though you may not get the immediate "mess up and you are on your butt in no time" feedback in the drier, softer Colorado snow.  Still, I think your ability to carve on boilerplate will still improve from training on soft snow (plenty of great boilerplate racers learned to ski the stuff training on western soft stuff - it's all about good technical foundations).

post #411 of 543

I haven't run a NASTAR course in over 5 years, but I would have to think that with a large enough group on the hill constantly running the gates that the snow conditions will have to deteriorate enough to make some people happy. rolleyes.gif wink.gif

post #412 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodler View Post

I haven't run a NASTAR course in over 5 years, but I would have to think that with a large enough group on the hill constantly running the gates that the snow conditions will have to deteriorate enough to make some people happy. rolleyes.gif " rel="/img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif">wink.gif


It's gonna be a bumps clinic?
post #413 of 543

     Quote:

Originally Posted by comprex View Post

It's gonna be a bumps clinic?


I might actually score some points for the team if it were!

post #414 of 543

hey everyone,

 

myself and two friends are travelling in from Boston ... I was hoping to minimize baggage.  any chance to borrow an iron?  I will bring wax and scraper/brush, etc.  please advise.

 

also, boston is expecting a massive storm next week -- possibly on our departure day!  please put in a good word to ULLR for us to get out on time!

 

thanks all,

kiersten

 

post #415 of 543

Hi Everyone-

 

A couple of changes have eventuated which need to be addressed.

 

As we are now working with fewer participants to share the cost of the Breck instrs, the cost per person is rising slightly to $115 each, from the estimated $100 we had announced earlier. But at the same time, we will remain with 5 groups, now making each group smaller and therefore each participant will receive more personalized attention!

 

Though I stated that funds would be collected the first morning of the event, Breck is now asking for payment in advance. Therefore, Doug (Mastersracer) has allowed us to use his site to collect the fees in advance, so we can meet Breck's expectations.

 

The site is ready to accept payments immediately. 

 

https://www.skiracereg.com/secure/event.asp?id=557      

 

The deadline for payments must be the close of business (Mtn Time) on Wednesday! Please help us out by getting your payment in ASAP!

 

Don't forget to get those skis tuned for this weekend! Give yourself every opportunity to maximize your training time!

 

We (Rick, Songfta, MastersRacer, Uncle Louie, and myself) are looking forward to seeing everyone this coming weekend! Travel Safely!

post #416 of 543
Quote:

Originally Posted by klkaye View Post

 

myself and two friends are travelling in from Boston ... I was hoping to minimize baggage.  any chance to borrow an iron?  I will bring wax and scraper/brush, etc.  please advise.

 

 

In all likelihood there will be enough waxing hardware to go around.  Many attendees are somewhat local, and I'm sure folks will share (though a Fat Tire Ale is often accepted as payment).

 

Counting down the days here - can't wait to see everybody and get into race mode!

post #417 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by vail snopro View Post

Please help us out by getting your payment in ASAP!

Done, and
Quote:
Originally Posted by songfta View Post

Counting down the days here

done!
post #418 of 543

 I will be bringing my iron and tunning equipment and everyone is welcome to use. It's nott eh best stuff around but should get the job done. I don't have a portable bench or clamps thou so if someone would be willing to bring there's that would be awesome

post #419 of 543

Will be there and have paid.

post #420 of 543


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vail snopro View Post

Hi Everybody!

We realize that you have been waiting for the promised support information about the upcoming race camp at Breckenridge, and we thank you for your patience. After editing it several times, it is ready to be sent out to all those who have signed up for the camp.

 

We also need to announce a change in the structure of the camp itself. It is hoped that this change will receive your support, as it provides a great benefit.

In order to maximize the benefit of the camp, we have negotiated a deal with Breckenridge to supply us with the means necessary to be able to cut the lift lines during the camp. For those of you not familiar with Breckenridge on weekends, the crowds can be pretty intense! And by being allowed to cut the lines, this will almost double the number of runs you will get in each day!

 

To gain this access, we have engaged the services of some Breckenridge Instructors for the two days, at a greatly discounted rate. What this breaks down to is approximately $75 per person for the whole weekend. This fee WILL include the unlimited NASTAR fees for both days (about $12 p/day which each individual would be paying anyway). So for the additional amount of about $50, we feel the added benefit will result in an improved experience for you, the participant.

 

We know that this camp was initially created as a free event, but as the idea developed and became more organized, we realized that we needed to make it a real blockbuster! Adding this fee was not an easy decision for us to make, based on the original premise of the idea. In keeping with that premise, the coaches are still volunteering their time and efforts. The fee is wholly designated to the Breckenridge Snowsports School for the instructors who will be facilitating the lift line use.

 

We trust that this change will not be a deal breaker for any of you who have signed up for the camp. We are trying to make this camp a great experience for all who attend. If any of you wish to discuss this change, please feel free to PM the coaching staff with your questions or concerns. 



 



Quote:
Originally Posted by vail snopro View Post

Hi Everyone-

 

A couple of changes have eventuated which need to be addressed.

 

As we are now working with fewer participants to share the cost of the Breck instrs, the cost per person is rising slightly to $115 each, from the estimated $100 we had announced earlier. But at the same time, we will remain with 5 groups, now making each group smaller and therefore each participant will receive more personalized attention!

 

Though I stated that funds would be collected the first morning of the event, Breck is now asking for payment in advance. Therefore, Doug (Mastersracer) has allowed us to use his site to collect the fees in advance, so we can meet Breck's expectations.

 

The site is ready to accept payments immediately. 

 

https://www.skiracereg.com/secure/event.asp?id=557      

 

The deadline for payments must be the close of business (Mtn Time) on Wednesday! Please help us out by getting your payment in ASAP!

 

Don't forget to get those skis tuned for this weekend! Give yourself every opportunity to maximize your training time!

 

We (Rick, Songfta, MastersRacer, Uncle Louie, and myself) are looking forward to seeing everyone this coming weekend! Travel Safely!


Hey Ric- Don't mean to be a ball-buster or anything, but wanted to make sure that I didn't miss an important post...I see the initial post about using the Breck instructors ($75 approximate cost inlcuding Nastar fees), but where was the $100 estimated cost announced?  Anything else important in that post?  Does the $115 include Nastar fees?

 

Thanks again for putting this together.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home