Thanks for the report -- I think I'll try to get out Thursday, and I was curious about how things were skiing. I guess it's supposed to snow a little bit in the next few days. I see the East Wall and Gauthier were closed for today (I think they were both open yesterday).
Related Forum Threads
- North American skiing after Memorial Day? Last post on 6/6/16 at 10:41am in General Skiing Discussion
- Banff or A-basin in Late April/Early May!! Last post on 5/3/16 at 3:11pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Is there a good place to learn to ski in May? Last post on 3/17/14 at 11:21pm in General Skiing Discussion
- April week w/kids: Vail-Beaver Creek & Summit County vs Aspen-Snowmass vs Alta-Snowbird, A... Last post on 4/21/14 at 11:34am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Memorial Day Weekend -- Who's Still Skiing? Last post on 7/7/13 at 5:47pm in General Skiing Discussion
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/17/16
- Arapahoe Basin, CO - A PictorialLast edited: 1/5/16
- Colorado Spring Skiing: Don't Fear the AprilLast edited: 6/1/13
- In Praise of the Anti-ResortsLast edited: 5/28/13
- Spring Snow Base PreparationLast edited: 4/24/11
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
TR: Arapahoe Basin - Epic RoundUp - May 7-10th - Page 9
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #242 of 2555/18/10 at 8:02amThread Starter
Thanks for sharing.....wish I were there!
Quote:Originally Posted by MastersRacer
I would like to thank the Epic gang for the incentive to get out and ski the spring conditions at A-Basin. The momentum got me out yesterday, a glorious, mostly sunny day. I stopped at a potential client's office in Dillon, dropped off used oil at the land fill and topped off my Camelback at the spring before arriving at the lower lot (about 60%) full at 11:00am. I booted up and rode the Pali lift.
Looking over Pali Main Street towards Dillon
Looks nice, but it wasn't until 1:30
Coverage was pretty good due in part to the 10 - 12 inches over the end of last week. No one was making the East Wall look like it was worth hiking for turns. I took a lot of turns on either side of the Lenawee chair. 3 - 4 inches of nice wet snow had loosened up and was very pleasant. Not corn yet, but pushable stiff snow.
I eventually skied down Exo and went back to Pali and took a run down Roller Coaster and down under the Pali lift. It was beginning to cloud up and the snow hadn't softened quite enough on this aspect. I like the long, straight, steep, fall line but it wasn't warm enough to make it really plush, although it was decent skiing.
The beach was in full weekday mode; laid back parties with the mandatory Reggae, canopies and grills. I enjoyed a couple of cool beers I found in my storage box and went back to work.
As you can see, the lower front still has good coverage.
Unoffically, Patrol was out probing the skier's left of Main Street, easily poking down 4 - 5 feet. Apparently they think the Pali area will be open at least another week.post #243 of 2555/19/10 at 10:19am
I guess ski patrol did not like what they felt on Pali Main St as the Pali lift and trails are closed for the season :( This year was about 7-10 days later then the previous few (ever since the avalanche death on 1st Alley - now known as Dave's Run). Zuma is closed and the East Wall is not open today but not yet closed for the season. It hasn't froze up there in past couple days and I suspect it rained as well making the steeps unsafe. I usually don't ski once Pali is closed but I had freed my schedule for tomorrow so may stil go up to take a few turns. If anybody else is going drop me a line and we can meet up around 11 or so. Ski season is almost over :0post #244 of 2555/19/10 at 7:06pm
Quote:Originally Posted by bumpdad
I guess ski patrol did not like what they felt on Pali Main St as the Pali lift and trails are closed for the season :( This year was about 7-10 days later then the previous few (ever since the avalanche death on 1st Alley - now known as Dave's Run). Zuma is closed and the East Wall is not open today but not yet closed for the season. It hasn't froze up there in past couple days and I suspect it rained as well making the steeps unsafe. I usually don't ski once Pali is closed but I had freed my schedule for tomorrow so may stil go up to take a few turns. If anybody else is going drop me a line and we can meet up around 11 or so. Ski season is almost over :0
Well, that's sad. I was hoping one more day on Pali, sigh. I think I'll still go tomorrow, but I probably can't be there until at least 11:30. We met briefly a couple weeks back, you'll still have red pants?post #245 of 2555/19/10 at 9:34pmpost #246 of 2555/20/10 at 4:14amThread Starterpost #247 of 2555/20/10 at 5:12ampost #248 of 2555/20/10 at 9:44pm
Taken on way home, about 2:45. Bumpdad and I had lots of fun turns, but then those little gremlins showed up -- you know, the ones who like to grab your skis all the time. (What's with them, anyway?)
Lots of slide activity up at Loveland and along the pass ... when I was driving up at about 11:30 I noticed a big section of the cornice above Chair 4 at LL had gone. When I was driving back, I could see that during the day there had been another good-sized slide on the big bowl to the west on the east side of the pass (duh, I don't know its name, but I'm sure it has one).
Anyway, I'm not sure if that's my last day or not, but it was an enjoyable couple of hours nonetheless.post #249 of 2555/21/10 at 5:49ampost #250 of 2555/21/10 at 7:30ampost #251 of 2555/21/10 at 3:02pm
It was quite fun yesterady. A nice last day for the season, May 20th, not bad. Fresh tracks early on (three inches of moist snow that held reasonable to the surface below). First time I've skied when Pali lift was closed. Laps off Lenawee all day. Zuma and Pali are closed for the season. East Wall prob also but I didn't see a sign that said 'closed for the season'. Got very heavy by end of day as the sun came out (as you can see my segbrowns photo). Almost face planted at bottom when I flattened my skis out on the snow - gremlins for sure. Thanks for the company on the Mt on for my annual toast to A-basin at the end of my season. See you next year on the slopes. bdpost #252 of 2559/24/10 at 6:29pm
Just going through this thread and looking at pictures! Starting to get my pre-season stoke going!!!! What a fun morning with you folks. Gonna try for TWO WHOLE DAYS this season! Be Well Everyone. I'll be seeing you soon! -Spag-post #253 of 2559/24/10 at 6:37pmThread StarterQuote:
Spag, it was a great pleasure to meet you. Wish we'd had more time with you tho, and need to make a point of meeting up again this coming season!post #254 of 2559/25/10 at 8:18ampost #255 of 2559/30/10 at 4:19am
- TR: Arapahoe Basin - Epic RoundUp - May 7-10th
- Arapahoe Basin, CO - A Pictorial
- › Ski dimensions advice [2nd season, bought used Solomon Scream W] 9 minutes ago
- › Bomberskiclinic stowe / Alta lodge powder tracks 9 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Northeast Region — Weather, Stoke, Craic . . . 17 minutes ago
- › Picture of the day... 30 minutes ago
- › 5-year plans for Alta and Snowbasin 40 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 52 minutes ago
- › North American snow watch 2016- snow reports needed! 55 minutes ago
- › How do i go from snow plow to a complete parallel turn? 1 hour, 2 minutes ago
- › How to fix cracked ski edge 1 hour, 22 minutes ago
- › 2017 CRV with 1.5l turbo? 1 hour, 25 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer