- 6 Posts. Joined 3/2009
- Select All Posts By This User
- categorySki Polestagged by System, 4/9/10
Related Forum Threads
- Pole-less Skiers Last post on 3/8/16 at 4:08pm in General Skiing Discussion
- How common are ski pole stabbing injuries? Last post on 10/20/13 at 8:27pm in Fitness, Health, Nutrition, Injury, and Recovery
- New community project. Smart ski poles, made locally in Salt Lake City. Last post on 5/31/12 at 9:31pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- Ski Pole Length Last post on 1/9/13 at 7:56pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- Ski Poles, a valuable device, or unnecessary? Last post on 5/2/12 at 7:21pm in General Skiing Discussion
Tips For Beginning Skiers
Last edited: 11/5/12
- Ski Pole Buying GuideLast edited: 4/19/11
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
- Ski Pole Buying Guide
Ski Poles- Better Aluminum or Composite
If you don't understand why to spend for a super light and whippy pole, then don't buy them .
Oh my god--I'm having visions of landing on a composite pole as it shatters and impales you in the chest
I'm with you. I like the balance of the Scott Series 4 poles.
I got some K2 composites for my GF on sale at REI for only $24. What are "composites" made of? Are they carbon fiber (sometimes also referred to as graphite-fiber)? We use carbon fiber tripods where I work and we broke one once--it's definitely something you wouldn't want to fall on! Has anyone ever actually snapped a composite pole?
I haven't broken a composite, but a snowboarder did for me. He was trying to spray the group I was standing with as a prank but ended up crashing over our tips and into my pole. It was an Excel pole and I was not pleased. He lost his riding privileges until he replace the pole with a Goodes
I don't care for the Goode basket. It has been too easy to pole hard and have it slide up the shaft.
Composites are quite durable. They take the impacts in the trees without damage, whereas once an aluminum pole is dinged, it is compromised and could buckle at any time at the ding.
I can't imagine an aluminum pole bridging a gap and holding where a composite would break.
?? The basket is attached to the tip. I have never had an issue with it slipping up the shaft. I do like the ease of being able to swap the baskets for hard and soft snow.
Level Nine Sports. $23 Composite Pole in Black or White. http://www.levelninesports.com/ . Great pole. Great price. Velcro straps. Includes baskets for powder and baskets for groomed. Balanced swingweight elevates plants to an art form. And the white color integrates so seamlessly with the snow underfoot that I really feel in harmony with the unity of of all things so that I make each turn with the freshness of present moment awareness. I own two pair. I also own Scott aluminum poles and LifeLink Carbon Pros (adjustable).
Level Nine has treated me well (I've purchased Head RD 96 boots, two sets of Tyrolia Bindings and misc. parts from them) so I have no compunction in providing Level Nine with positive word of mouth.
Me? I'm OK with my alum poles. I'll try composite when my poles get too decalibrated.
Now they are called AC/BC.
I like the light swing weight.
Broke one of the screw together fittings
when using them to try to get snow off
mother-in-laws garage roof in Buffalo.
(7' in less than a week). replaced it.
I can see aluminum for heavier persons
or those who really bang hard on poles.
I bent one of the replacement aluminum poles slightly the very first time I used them, but have been using them for the last 6 years anyway. The force that bent the aluminum pole may have broken a composite pole.
I'll probably always use aluminum poles because I haven't seen a composite pole that my old Scott strapless grips will fit on.
BTW I wasn't going to make it easy for the fool who broke my Excel pole. I held the pole in the snow hard so he'd have someting to 'run in to'. It was a full force impact of adult idiot against pole. I'm not surprised it broke in that case.
Being the bargain shopper that I am, if I hadn't won the second pair of Goodes and bought the Life Links for $5.00 at a yard sail, I'd be in whatever pole was inexpensive, fit and for the case of BC, was adjustable in length.
Thanks Rio, for the effort. However, thanks to, "Poles With Panache" my color-matched hockey taped wrapped grips make search and retrieval so much easier...
I wouldn't trust them if they were my backcountry poles.
Level Nine Sports. $23 Composite Pole in Black or White. http://www.levelninesports.com/ . Great pole. Great price. Velcro straps. Includes baskets for powder and baskets for groomed.
I had a pair of scott p4 poles and they lasted maybe a month. I've bent plenty of aluminum poles and never broke a comp.
LOL....did you seriously pay someone else to wrap your poles with colored tape?
- Ski Poles- Better Aluminum or Composite
- › 2016-17 Northeast Region — Weather, Stoke, Craic . . . 1 minute ago
- › Bottom of Foot Pain - Tried it All (long read, please help) 6 minutes ago
- › What do you take when resort skiing? 7 minutes ago
- › "The only people who want to carve any more..." 11 minutes ago
- › Best ski location on the east coast??? 16 minutes ago
- › 2016-2017 Four Corners (S.CO/AZ/NM) Weather Discussion 18 minutes ago
- › 2016 / 17 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke 25 minutes ago
- › FS: NIW FISCHER HYBRID 10.0 SKIS 189CM 32 minutes ago
- › October 2016 Image of the Month Contest 33 minutes ago
- › Anyone Here Skiing After Major Spine Fusion Surgery? 39 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer