or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › How to buy another pair of skis without my wife finding out ?????
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to buy another pair of skis without my wife finding out ????? - Page 2

post #31 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChocolate View Post

Get her some jewelry of equal or greater value...now this is very important so listen closely.....it must be big, bright and shiny so it will confuse her kinda like fish and lures. She won't even notice the skis, promise.  mmkay?

Yeah that should work.


No one gets my humor sheesh!
post #32 of 70
035.JPG
They're not just another pair of skis Honey, it's another art project =)
post #33 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChocolate View Post




No one gets my humor sheesh!

Doh, I totally missed the sarcastic tone and yet there it is.  Guess my blonde is showing. 


Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChocolate View Post

Get her some jewelry of equal or greater value...now this is very important so listen closely.....it must be big, bright and shiny so it will confuse her kinda like fish and lures. She won't even notice the skis, promise.  mmkay?

Yeah that should work.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

 

I love the generalizations by both men and women in this thread...
Buy her jewelry
they buy clothing and shoes constantly


If I were married to any of you bears, you damn well better not compare your ski gear purchase to MY shoe collection , MY clothing collection, or try to bribe me with jewelry.

You should, however expect me to be exited to see your new skis which will mean that you may find me fondling them when you're not looking(or when you are looking).  Further, you will promptly tell me that I look hot in my new ski jacket!
 
post #34 of 70
Try 4 closets here, full. Bright, shiny objects do work well to distract as do trips with the girls.

The hemming and hawing/whining approach works....sometimes: "Just get the damn skis/bike/go on the boys trip/etc.....you'll be much easier to live with, DAMMIT!!!"
post #35 of 70
Frankly, if I were married to a woman who wanted to tell me how many skis I needed or didn't need, or one that I needed to bribe to justify what I have or don't have, I would be more than happy to wake up without her.

There's nothing caveman about that. Life's just too short tor that sort of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDenver View Post



 
Best answer for someone asking a forum of strangers how they should best deceive their wife with the purchase of more skis. 

Oh, and ignore the cave man responses I read in this stupid thread unless like them you’ll soon find that skis are only items found beside you

Man up indeed!  Ski a pair

 

post #36 of 70
I really don't understand why anyone "needs" that many pair of skis. I had 1 pair of skis for a long time and I was very happy with them. One day in the recent past I bought some powder skis, and I just can't think of a condition where my twin tip all mountains aren't ideal and the powder skis are also not ideal. Can you describe a skiing condition (aside from something super specialized like GS) that I would need a 3rd pair of skis for? Are you guys just buying crappy skis that have limited application, or are you just buying skis because it's a buying disease you have? I spend all the money you spend on skis on stuff like cat skiing, heli skiing, and lift tickets. *Shrug*

For reference my 2 pairs are the K2 Public Enemy and K2 Obsethed.

Just my 2c
post #37 of 70
 option 1:
buy her a pair also--matching, if possible.

option 2:
tell her they were on "sale," a "bargain," and "only cost $50."  After all, that's what she tells you...
post #38 of 70
 I own six pair and no longer am married (she wasn't much for skiing anyways).
post #39 of 70
It's an 'insect to a light' thing for some sosumi.

Sounds like some are taking this thread way too seriously. But on that front, without honest communication, there's no real relationship. If your SO loves you for who you are and what (or despite what) you love to do, the 'stuff acquisitions' are just another point to communicate about......sometimes.
post #40 of 70
Hey - if we were all to count the skis from the 70s, 90s etc... like one photo here then in my case I would be told that getting one pair of something modern in place of the rafters full of old stuff would make the shed cleaner!

K2 812 rocks!
K2 Four and other great ski!

I looked up in the shed the other day and there were Atomic Arc SL 203cm, Head silver SL skis in 200 cm, two pair Pre M5 and several other pair of old junk.  Once I traded a pair of K2 Four for a pair of decorative wooden skis circa 1930s or 40s - good trade.  A few weeks ago we gave away a pair of Head XRC 163cm.  Good deal for us - they were one step away from joining the others in the rafters ....

Mike
post #41 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinstant View Post

 I own six pair and no longer am married (she wasn't much for skiing anyways).

A man who knows how to keep his priorities straight. Well done ,sir.
post #42 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by sosumi View Post

I really don't understand why anyone "needs" that many pair of skis. I had 1 pair of skis for a long time and I was very happy with them. One day in the recent past I bought some powder skis, and I just can't think of a condition where my twin tip all mountains aren't ideal and the powder skis are also not ideal. Can you describe a skiing condition (aside from something super specialized like GS) that I would need a 3rd pair of skis for? Are you guys just buying crappy skis that have limited application, or are you just buying skis because it's a buying disease you have? I spend all the money you spend on skis on stuff like cat skiing, heli skiing, and lift tickets. *Shrug*

For reference my 2 pairs are the K2 Public Enemy and K2 Obsethed.

Just my 2c


I dare say if you're paying for lift tickets, cat skiing and heli-skiing, you're either getting a lot fewer days than 80 in each year, or you're spending a whole hell of a lot more than I do on my entire skiing habit.
post #43 of 70
I live in Atlanta, GA and work full time as a consultant. I am lucky to get 20 days on the slopes every year and I cherish each one. It costs me a huge amount of money in both travel/accommodations/etc as well as lost revenue for each ski trip, probably at least $10k a year. I envy all of you who live out west :( This year has been a complete disaster, everywhere i've gone has had like 20 inches of base and skid out boilerplate because it's El Nino. Considering I only started skiing 5 years ago (so I *maybe* have 80 days total under my entire belt) I've had to work my a** off to get to the level where i can ski gnarly terrain - instead of having fun skiing with my friends i'm shoving myself down moguls and steeps 8 hours a day and pumping iron the entire winter, eating an alphabet soup of supplements against soreness since I can't fit in a rest day during my trips, etc. To compensate for the shittastic conditions I waste money chasing powder with cat and backcountry. I'm flying to heli in valdez in 2 weeks and hope i'm up to snuff to not hold my group up :(

So yeah, maybe when I'm skiing 80 days a year I'll understand why I'd need more than 2 pairs of skis. For now i'm still oblivious.

Anyway, I just felt like venting, sorry


Quote:
Originally Posted by iWill View Post





I dare say if you're paying for lift tickets, cat skiing and heli-skiing, you're either getting a lot fewer days than 80 in each year, or you're spending a whole hell of a lot more than I do on my entire skiing habit.

 
post #44 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDenver View Post



 
Best answer for someone asking a forum of strangers how they should best deceive their wife with the purchase of more skis. 

Oh, and ignore the cave man responses I read in this stupid thread unless like them you’ll soon find that skis are only items found beside you

Man up indeed!  Ski a pair

 


Eh, I was just jealous because I have neither a wife or two pairs of new skis. I would be happy with one of the former and two of the latter. I have (of course) more than two pairs of skis, but only one pair of recent manufacture.

I do have five pairs of ski/snowboard boots (just counting what I used this season), so if I do marry a ski hoarder, I guess she can point at my shoe closet whenever she wants new skis. She can but me 'jewelry' too, if it's the kind RatherPlayThanWork sells. I certainly think a $6000 bike is more jewelry than transportation, but I think I would look good wearing one.
post #45 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehoyt View Post

K2 812 rocks!
K2 Four and other great ski!

 Good deal for us - they were one step away from joining the others in the rafters ....

Mike
I actually added a pair of VO Slalom 204s after that photo was taken.. I couldn't resist adding them to the family for $40.00 including shipping.  I skied them last month too
post #46 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by iWill View Post

Frankly, if I were married to a woman who wanted to tell me how many skis I needed or didn't need, or one that I needed to bribe to justify what I have or don't have, I would be more than happy to wake up without her.

There's nothing caveman about that. Life's just too short tor that sort of thing.
 


 

Statistically, life is shorter without a wife, it just seems longer...

Marriage is often a partnership where decisions about how the money is spent are shared. I'd probably prefer that kind to one where I call the shots and she obeys, but I might settle for the latter at this point.
post #47 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post

IMG_2143-1.jpg

 

Small feet


Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpfreaq View Post

035.JPG
 

Brother Chris; forget the leaning quiver…

Ski’s = formal wall art?!  Somebody start a new thread; I sense a whole bunch of posts with this one  



Quote:
Originally Posted by telerod15 View Post

Eh, I was just jealous because I have neither a wife or two pairs of new skis. I would be happy with one of the former and two of the latter...

 

telerod15…good things are coming your way…I’m convinced of that  

 

 

post #48 of 70
A la bumpfreaq, just tell her they are the same pair, but you repainted them.
post #49 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by telerod15 View Post

Statistically, life is shorter without a wife, it just seems longer...

Marriage is often a partnership where decisions about how the money is spent are shared. I'd probably prefer that kind to one where I call the shots and she obeys, but I might settle for the latter at this point.
But that is still better than one is which she calls the shots and you obey...

I'm just lucky I guess. I've got a fiance who goes out and buys herself a new bike if she feels like it, and if anything would encourage me to buy skis if I saw some to my liking.

PS - I can't help you with the former, but I'll donate one of the latter, if you feel the need to lock the heels. Can't spare you any freeheels, being at a measly one pair myself. Maybe you can trade the alpine boards for a wife if so inclined.
post #50 of 70


Quote:
Originally Posted by iWill View Post

Frankly, if I were married to a woman who wanted to tell me how many skis I needed or didn't need, or one that I needed to bribe to justify what I have or don't have, I would be more than happy to wake up without her.

There's nothing caveman about that. Life's just too short tor that sort of thing.
 


cave-MAN.jpg

damn right…arrgh!

post #51 of 70
 Thanks for the offer, iWill. Sure, I'll take new skis if you're giving them away! You can keep the bindings though.  Would you like a pair of Voilé bindings in exchange? I mean, if it's OK with your fiance  

The truth is I don't really ski often enough to use the stuff I already own or well enough to notice the difference between one pair and another. 
post #52 of 70
 Kind of un-funny and old fashioned, but I've always found it best to tell my wife the truth. Worked for 22 years in my case, and I've got the scars to prove it.
post #53 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOJ View Post

 Here's the deal:  I bought 2 pairs of skis for this season - got a smokin deal and my wife was "ok" with it.  I just demo'd some of the new 2011 skis this past weekend (reviews posted) and now, I found another pair of skis that i just gotta have.  My wife just doesn't get it, she claims that "I already have skis, why do I need another pair !!!" So, how do I buy these skis without my wife finding out ?   

 Looking forward to creative suggestions !

Keep them at your girl friend's apartment.
post #54 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by iWill View Post



But that is still better than one is which she calls the shots and you obey...

 

Mighty ironic considering your handle is "iWill".  I guess that's better than "honey do" though
post #55 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjoyous View Post

 option 1:
buy her a pair also--matching, if possible.

option 2:
tell her they were on "sale," a "bargain," and "only cost $50."  After all, that's what she tells you...
 

option 2 is what I said, but your way you would be busted because she would check the credit card statement.  You have to be more sneaky than that.
post #56 of 70
Try a win-win approach. 
post #57 of 70

As long as my significant other buys me ski-related "somethings"....he can buy whatever he wants!!!  The key is to be in a relationship where the other person understands your ADDICTIONS!!! 

 

post #58 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiergirl777 View Post

As long as my significant other buys me ski-related "somethings"....he can buy whatever he wants!!!  The key is to be in a relationship where the other person understands your ADDICTIONS!!! 

 


Oooooh, you and I are going to get along great!!!

post #59 of 70

Keep 'em at your girlfriend's place.

post #60 of 70

I worked this out for my friend the other week.  This only works if your are buying identical skies like my friend was or your wife has no idea what your skis look like.

 

Bring current current skies to shop for a tune letting the Mrs know you are going.

Turn current skis in for tune and buy new skis. 

Bring new skis home stating they didn't have the machine set up but will in a few days.

Next time you leave the house without the wife around (so she doesn't see you leaving without skis), stop by the shop to pick up your old skis and bring them home.

 

If she's is always watching bring the skis with you every day and home every day until you've done it so many times she can't remember which way you're going.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › How to buy another pair of skis without my wife finding out ?????