- 16,230 Posts. Joined 1/2000
- Location: about 85% of the time now at Steamboat.
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- 2017 Mid-Atlantic Gathering at Timberline, WV - February 24-26, 2017 Last post on 10/23/16 at 9:26am in Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go
- Where should I go for a ski vacation? [Feb family trip, non-skiing mom, from MA] Last post on 10/8/16 at 6:28am in General Skiing Discussion
- Trip in Feb. Need advice on when to buy passes [family, 4 ski days at Vail, Keystone, Breck] Last post on 9/11/16 at 6:34pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Vail vs Alta/Bird Last post on 9/13/16 at 7:21pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- The "Park City Effect": UT Records Best Skier Visits Last post on 7/27/16 at 8:19pm in Skiing News
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/24/16
- The Future of Jay Peak and Burke Mountain ResortLast edited: 6/15/16
- Gathering 2009 Jackson HoleLast edited: 1/11/13
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
TR: Vail closing week and a TRIP REPORT from the last day - Page 2post #31 of 1554/9/10 at 11:32amThread StarterCan you please arrange to have it start to puke around Wednesday about 5pm?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 1554/9/10 at 12:18pmThread Starter
We are stopping in at Icelantic HQ on the way up, I am going to bribe Annelise into letting me "borrow" a pair of next season's Keepers, so I NEED some soft snow and powder to properly test them...post #33 of 1554/9/10 at 1:05pmIf I were going to be out there, I'd love to have a chance to go to this. http://www.epicski.com/forum/thread/93769/stu-campbell-s-being-inducted-into-the-u-s-ski-snowboard-hall-of-fame-wanna-gopost #34 of 1554/10/10 at 9:17ampost #35 of 1554/10/10 at 2:55pmThread Starterpost #36 of 1554/10/10 at 3:07pm
Well either snow or sun! I hope either way its soft. my theory is if its to hard for these skis its not going to be a day off snow or I am skinning.
quiver in route
177cm Blizzard "the one"
183cm Volkl Katana
195cm Atomic Snoop
192cm Atomic Thugpost #37 of 1554/10/10 at 6:33pmQuote:
Mine will be...
NeverSummer 102 "The Ski"post #38 of 1554/10/10 at 10:13pmpost #39 of 1554/11/10 at 4:32amThread Starter
add Nomad SFTS,- I would rather wait until 10:30-11:00 till it softens up.- forecast right now is showinf highs near 50, what has the snow been like over the past couple of days? Should I throw a MX78?post #40 of 1554/11/10 at 5:27am
Head Mojo 94s for the firmer stuff, though I am with Finndog on the later start idea. obSETHeds for everything else.
Hellbents are staying home.
PM me for some Bear runs, @Vail, Copper and Breck. Looks like a cornfest!
There late 4/13 - 19.
Jonesin' for turns!!!
post #41 of 1554/11/10 at 8:39amThread Starterpost #42 of 1554/11/10 at 8:58ampost #43 of 1554/11/10 at 10:39amJust two other buddies, original hogs, and one babe of unknown talents......not on my shift though. Bazzer and I couldn't quite get the days right, though he will be having great powder memories for years to come by being "in the zone" last week.
Finndog, see you out there, PM replied to.
Debating the need for two pairs of boards for this trip, though I would hate to be a whiner if things went sideways.
post #44 of 1554/13/10 at 6:41amUL used 2 pair yesterday as he found his new 94 mm Blizzards too wide for the firm a.m. snow and switched back to his 8.1s. VSP looked good on his 68 waisted ski when I caught up with them for a few mostly semi-softish groomers before noon, but said that a wider ski would have made it easier in the afternoon when they did Apre Voo, South Rim and some other stuff off 11.
I did the Golden Peak slush park with my daughter most of the afternoon, so can't give any firsthand reports on the rest of the mountain, but am planning on going back Friday and expecting firm snow early, a window with nice softish conditions for a bit followed by a slushfest in the afternoon- should be fun and hope to catch up with the visiting Bears.
If anyone is up for carpooling from Summit on Friday (or possibly Thur, Sat or Sun), please let me know.post #45 of 1554/13/10 at 10:01am
Forget this quiver crap…pick a ski because you’ll be dropped in the 3600 left open if you think you’ll be easily heading front to change quickly with the good news from Vail…expanded lift operation backside for final days. Of course any new snow, temperature, wind, time of day and slope orientation will be key for some in saving their spines...& pride :
Edit: Oh…and springtime out here we start first thing skiing razor coral and frozen chicken heads without lunch, hold our toilet breaks till midnight and ski all the way to the last lift serving up pond scum
Edit/Edit: Wait periods only allowed for either extremes of sunscreen re-application or change of raingear. Note; skis must be left in play as is and may not be touched for re-entry or for better line. See section 7, paragraph 3, line 2 through 6 found in The Vail Resorts Closing Week Book of Conduct.
Remember; Better enjoyment of final days with the good book of
Beginning Monday, April 12, guests will have access to the mountain from Golden Peak, Vail Village and Lionshead. More than 3,600 acres of skiable terrain will be accessible by the following lifts through Sunday, April 18:
- Avanti Express Lift (#2)
- Wildwood Express Lift (#3)
- Mountaintop Express Lift (#4)
- High Noon Lift (#5)
- Riva Bahn Express Lift (#6)
- Born Free Express Lift (#8)
- Northwoods Express Lift (#11)
- Gopher Hill Lift (#12)
- Vista Bahn Express Lift (#16)
In addition, the following lifts and surrounding terrain, which were scheduled to close for the final week of the season, will now also remain open through Sunday, April 18:
- Sun Up Lift (#17)
- Tea Cup Express Lift (#36)
- Skyline Express Lift (#37)
Edited by DonDenver - 4/13/10 at 12:39pmpost #46 of 1554/13/10 at 10:07amThread Starterpost #47 of 1554/13/10 at 11:21ampost #48 of 1554/13/10 at 11:50amThread Starterpost #49 of 1554/13/10 at 11:51amWeather absolutely blows here, cold grey and rainy - kinda reminds me of Rochester actually ... So as I sit here waiting for the sun to MAYBE come out, i will live vicariously through the trip reports ... hope you guys all have a blast!post #50 of 1554/14/10 at 9:04pmpost #51 of 1554/14/10 at 10:12pmpost #52 of 1554/15/10 at 4:14ampost #53 of 1554/15/10 at 4:20amQuote:
We have a parking pass for you if you need. Call either of us to arrange meeting.
post #54 of 1554/15/10 at 3:55pmpost #55 of 1554/15/10 at 7:33pmQuote:
We are meeting at the bottom of CHR 8 at Lionshead at 9am.post #56 of 1554/16/10 at 5:34amWhat's the plan for Saturday? I couldn't get away for today (Friday) too much work stuff. Who's still around? If Vail is a go for Saturday I'm looking for anyone heading up from Denver or Summit to carpool into Vail (and split the insane parking cost).post #57 of 1554/16/10 at 5:47amNoodler- it would be great to see you here on SAT! Should be a large gang here, Phil, Finn, Don, Betsy, Chris, Bob, Josh, and others! We have been meeting at the bottom of CH 8 / Lionshead at 9am (letting the snow soften a bit).
Free parking at Donovan Park on the STH Frontage rd, just a bit further down the hill from the Vail Cascade Resort. Bus schedule has changed to every 40 minutes, you need the West Vail RED bus to Lionshead.post #58 of 1554/16/10 at 6:29ampost #59 of 1554/16/10 at 6:37ampost #60 of 1554/16/10 at 7:08pmQuote:Originally Posted by vail snopro
Noodler- it would be great to see you here on SAT! Should be a large gang here, Phil, Finn, Don, Betsy, Chris, Bob, Josh, and others! We have been meeting at the bottom of CH 8 / Lionshead at 9am (letting the snow soften a bit).
Free parking at Donovan Park on the STH Frontage rd, just a bit further down the hill from the Vail Cascade Resort. Bus schedule has changed to every 40 minutes, you need the West Vail RED bus to Lionshead.
Sign at Donovan said no skier parking tommorow (Saturday) b/c of "Event" This happens from time to time.
I'm thinking about a return visit Sat if someone wants to carpool from Frisco...we might even be able to park at Phil & Ron's place.
- TR: Vail closing week and a TRIP REPORT from the last day
- The Future of Jay Peak and Burke Mountain Resort
- › "The only people who want to carve any more..." 17 seconds ago
- › Bottom of Foot Pain - Tried it All (long read, please help) 1 minute ago
- › Best ski location on the east coast??? 4 minutes ago
- › 2016-2017 Four Corners (S.CO/AZ/NM) Weather Discussion 6 minutes ago
- › 2016 / 17 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke 14 minutes ago
- › FS: NIW FISCHER HYBRID 10.0 SKIS 189CM 21 minutes ago
- › October 2016 Image of the Month Contest 22 minutes ago
- › Anyone Here Skiing After Major Spine Fusion Surgery? 28 minutes ago
- › Whistler 2017 Gathering- General Info, Questions and Advice Thread 29 minutes ago
- › Snowboarding causes nothing but problems 38 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer