EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs › New ski tuning dad - how do I??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New ski tuning dad - how do I??

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Hi,

 My kids really got the racing bug and now I am in the ski - waxing buisness. After reading quite a we have the basics down,  my questions are

- how dow you remove the wax buildup from the brushes?
- is it ok to use the wax scraped off the ski on another ?
- will wax go bad with time in the packages?

Thanks for any help......
post #2 of 9
Good questions...don't have answers for all.

i usually brush the brush against the corner of my table, or my thumb against the bristles to get the "Wax dust" out.
I wouldn't reuse the wax, but it doesn't mean you can't?  That wax in theory should be dirty, so don't reuse it.
I doubt it.  Wax should be fine over time.  I don't think it breaks down or anything like that.

Hope this helps.
post #3 of 9
I also caught the ski tuning bug from having a son in a race program.

If your skis are flat, you don't need to use a lot of wax, not enough for reusing. And it will pick up any dirt on the skis.

I use Toko wax remover to remove wax from my scrapers, never had a problem with brushes, and never use it on ski bases (except cross country klister).

A rotobrush is real nice if you are doing several sets of skis.  I mostly use a horsehair one, but also have nylon and steel for stripping off old wax.

Always another tool to buy.
post #4 of 9
Never use a steel scraper unless you are doing base repairs. It ruins the base structure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1er View Post

I also caught the ski tuning bug from having a son in a race program.

If your skis are flat, you don't need to use a lot of wax, not enough for reusing. And it will pick up any dirt on the skis.

I use Toko wax remover to remove wax from my scrapers, never had a problem with brushes, and never use it on ski bases (except cross country klister).

A rotobrush is real nice if you are doing several sets of skis.  I mostly use a horsehair one, but also have nylon and steel for stripping off old wax.

Always another tool to buy.
post #5 of 9
Originally Posted by ashwabayskier View Post

- how dow you remove the wax buildup from the brushes?

Shop Vac.

- is it ok to use the wax scraped off the ski on another ?

No. Use fresh wax. Wax is cheap.

- will wax go bad with time in the packages?

No.
 
post #6 of 9
Will wax go bad over time?  Approximately five years ago I cleaned out my father's basement and came across a few boxes of TOKO and SWIX wax I used when racing in high school (circa 1977). This is the pre-flouro temperature specific hydrocarbon stuff.  It still worked great, and for two years I had "free" wax!

BTW, for training you can buy 250g bars of cheaper TOKO flouro universal wax for around $12.  I think, but am not positive, AR Tech still has some.  It is so cheap there is no reason to reuse scraped wax.  When race day comes around, there are great people here that sell the the really good (usually expensive) stuff.  You have to decide whether it is worth it for the kids.  If they are competitive, you probably have to spend the $.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwabayskier View Post

Hi,

 My kids really got the racing bug and now I am in the ski - waxing buisness. After reading quite a we have the basics down,  my questions are

- how dow you remove the wax buildup from the brushes?
- is it ok to use the wax scraped off the ski on another ?
- will wax go bad with time in the packages?

Thanks for any help......

Edited by quant2325 - 3/26/10 at 12:32pm
post #7 of 9
Reusing wax works fine ... if you are REALLY frugal.

But  yes, fresh wax is cheap.
post #8 of 9
It's good time now, end of season, find a good deal on a lot of wax (doesn't go bad quickly), and buy it. Depending on how often you do it, you can last full season on $15 can. Your other skiing expenses will be certainly much higher :-)
post #9 of 9
Reuse wax, guess you could but only if really clean, definite no if gets dirty.

Wax doesn't deteriorate in wrapper.

Cleaning brushes - I have a Stainless Steel brush and brush the wax out of  the brush with this.  I use a Slidewright horse hair brush and the SS brush works great removing the wax.  Don't use a Steel brush as the possibility of rust is high, use a stainless steel one.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs › New ski tuning dad - how do I??