EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › The Rockered Revolution
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Rockered Revolution - Page 5

Poll Results: In your opinion by 2011-12 will over 50 percent of new skis sales have rocker.

 
  • 38% (26)
    Yes
  • 61% (42)
    No
68 Total Votes  
post #121 of 141
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfydog View Post





Could you, just once, post something without a chip on both shoulders?

 

yep


here is once

http://www.epicski.com/forum/thread/92585/looking-for-some-bump-advice

here is twice

http://www.epicski.com/forum/thread/80460/bob-peters-facts

here is third

http://www.epicski.com/forum/thread/93394/bindings-for-gotama-marker-griffon-or-rossi-sas2-120#post_1209105

fourth

http://www.epicski.com/forum/thread/92765/help-with-rails-and-360s#post_1209267


FYI its not a chip when its true, just because YOU dont agree with something that is supported by facts doesnt mean that the person that doesnt agree with you has a chip on their shoulders. Its means that person just might be right and your own preconcieved notions of what is right isnt now so that makes you angry. I see myself that would say what he felt what was right with no care if its going to offended anyone or step on people toes.
post #122 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
FYI its not a chip when its true, just because YOU dont agree with something that is supported by facts

 

If you consider this to be a fact:

Quote:
 I will make you wish you had rockered skis or like alot of people on this board you just wont follow me
 

You are simply not making much progress in your painfully slow journey to maturity.  Head over to Whiteface.  There are a few hundred skiers there right now, who if they bothered, would open your eyes to the fact, that no matter how hot of a skier you claim to be, there are many much better. Here's a list of 50 of them, that I'd bet could, if so inclined, run you ragged in any snow on any ski  Most all of them, however, can somehow discuss gear preferences without throwing down some childish challenge, 

Place   Lake Placid, NY (USA)   Discipline   Super G
Date   20.03.2010   Category   National Championships
Race codex   1802   Gender   M
Valid for FIS Points   YES   TD Name   Lavallee



 1  1  530874 GANONG Travis  1988  USA   1:05.34  8.00
 2  4  530165 BRANDENBURG Will  1987  USA   1:06.20  21.95
 3  11  534038 NICKERSON Warner  1981  USA   1:06.42  25.52
 4  9  534959 JITLOFF Tim  1985  USA   1:06.44  25.85
 5  17  531799 FORD Tommy  1989  USA   1:06.73  30.55
 6  31  6530319 COCHRAN-SIEGLE Ryan  1992  USA   1:06.74  30.71
 7  3  930107 GREGORAK Will  1990  USA   1:06.87  32.82
 8  6  534289 FRANK Chris  1983  USA   1:06.96  34.28
 9  5  534562 LIGETY Ted  1984  USA   1:06.99  34.77
 10  8  530920 SWENSSON Joe  1986  USA   1:07.15  37.36
 11  19  534508 CHODOUNSKY David  1984  USA   1:07.22  38.50
 12  10  930024 MAPLE Wiley  1990  USA   1:07.36  40.77
 13  2  530641 FINK-DEBRAY Miles  1988  USA   1:07.50  43.04
 14  16  6530598 SNOW Scott  1993  USA   1:07.58  44.34
 15  15  533948 COLE Adam  1982  USA   1:08.05  51.96
 16  14  532138 KASPER Nolan  1989  USA   1:08.07  52.29
 17  13  532188 SPENCER Dane  1977  USA   1:08.10  52.78
 18  28  934518 DANIELS Nick  1991  USA   1:08.57  60.40
 19  21  934643 GOLDBERG Jared  1991  USA   1:08.74  63.16
 20  41  930170 LAMB Max  1990  USA   1:08.92  66.08
 21  24  930023 COFFEY Sam  1990  USA   1:08.98  67.05
 22  18  930285 VEST-BURTON Taylor  1990  USA   1:09.02  67.70
 23  23  934547 MARNO Max  1991  USA   1:09.04  68.02
 24  36  6530250 MORSE Ben  1992  USA   1:09.17  70.13
 25  26  934502 ANKENY Michael  1991  USA   1:09.29  72.08
 26  37  930188 MARSHALL Tucker  1990  USA   1:09.35  73.05
 27  50  530855 LOMAN Dan  1986  USA   1:09.37  73.38
 28  46  934566 ROBERTS Hig  1991  USA   1:09.43  74.35
 29  43  180541 HARMANEN Niko  1988  FIN   1:09.48  75.16
 30  22  532704 REYNOLDS Charlie  1989  USA   1:09.52  75.81
 31  34  532165 LEAFE Trevor  1989  USA   1:09.68  78.41
 32  45  40489 LAIDLAW Luke  1992  AUS   1:09.83  80.84
 33  33  934523 ENGEL Mark  1991  USA   1:10.05  84.41
 34  29  934544 LUBOW L J  1991  USA   1:10.12  85.55
 35  57  6530187 MAJOR Victor  1992  USA   1:10.23  87.33
 36  40  934680 MARTIN Dustin  1991  USA   1:10.40  90.09
 37  27  6530104 BENNETT Bryce  1992  USA   1:10.42  90.41
 38  47  930047 BLACK Hunter  1990  USA   1:10.52  92.03
 39  35  934722 STRAND Derek  1991  USA   1:10.53  92.20
 40  55  930073 COXON Kyle  1990  USA   1:10.95  99.01
 41  52  6530114 CHEVALIER Luc Henri  1992  USA   1:10.99  99.66
 42  56  6530117 CONE Robert  1992  USA   1:11.02  100.15
 43  58  6530031 STENICKA Nicholas  1991  USA   1:11.26  104.04
 44  62  534534 VEENIS Scott  1984  USA   1:11.37  105.82
 45  42  930249 SCALIA Nicholas  1990  USA   1:11.41  106.47
 46  44  530214 FORD William  1987  USA   1:11.52  108.26
 47  64  930272 STANG Nick  1990  USA   1:11.97  115.56
 48  59  410365 BARWOOD Adam  1992  NZE   1:12.08  117.34
 49  61  6530266 SCANNELL Jake  1992  USA   1:12.09  117.50
 50  54
post #123 of 141
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfydog View Post




If you consider this to be a fact:


You are simply not making much progress in your painfully slow journey to maturity.  Head over to Whiteface.  There are a few hundred skiers there right now, who if they bothered, would open your eyes to the fact, that no matter how hot of a skier you claim to be, there are many much better. Here's a list of 50 of them, that I'd bet could, if so inclined, run you ragged in any snow on any ski  Most all of them, however, can somehow discuss gear preferences without throwing down some childish challenge, 

Place   Lake Placid, NY (USA)   Discipline   Super G
Date   20.03.2010   Category   National Championships
Race codex   1802   Gender   M
Valid for FIS Points   YES   TD Name   Lavallee



 1  1  530874 GANONG Travis  1988  USA   1:05.34  8.00
 2  4  530165 BRANDENBURG Will  1987  USA   1:06.20  21.95
 3  11  534038 NICKERSON Warner  1981  USA   1:06.42  25.52
 4  9  534959 JITLOFF Tim  1985  USA   1:06.44  25.85
 5  17  531799 FORD Tommy  1989  USA   1:06.73  30.55
 6  31  6530319 COCHRAN-SIEGLE Ryan  1992  USA   1:06.74  30.71
 7  3  930107 GREGORAK Will  1990  USA   1:06.87  32.82
 8  6  534289 FRANK Chris  1983  USA   1:06.96  34.28
 9  5  534562 LIGETY Ted  1984  USA   1:06.99  34.77
 10  8  530920 SWENSSON Joe  1986  USA   1:07.15  37.36
 11  19  534508 CHODOUNSKY David  1984  USA   1:07.22  38.50
 12  10  930024 MAPLE Wiley  1990  USA   1:07.36  40.77
 13  2  530641 FINK-DEBRAY Miles  1988  USA   1:07.50  43.04
 14  16  6530598 SNOW Scott  1993  USA   1:07.58  44.34
 15  15  533948 COLE Adam  1982  USA   1:08.05  51.96
 16  14  532138 KASPER Nolan  1989  USA   1:08.07  52.29
 17  13  532188 SPENCER Dane  1977  USA   1:08.10  52.78
 18  28  934518 DANIELS Nick  1991  USA   1:08.57  60.40
 19  21  934643 GOLDBERG Jared  1991  USA   1:08.74  63.16
 20  41  930170 LAMB Max  1990  USA   1:08.92  66.08
 21  24  930023 COFFEY Sam  1990  USA   1:08.98  67.05
 22  18  930285 VEST-BURTON Taylor  1990  USA   1:09.02  67.70
 23  23  934547 MARNO Max  1991  USA   1:09.04  68.02
 24  36  6530250 MORSE Ben  1992  USA   1:09.17  70.13
 25  26  934502 ANKENY Michael  1991  USA   1:09.29  72.08
 26  37  930188 MARSHALL Tucker  1990  USA   1:09.35  73.05
 27  50  530855 LOMAN Dan  1986  USA   1:09.37  73.38
 28  46  934566 ROBERTS Hig  1991  USA   1:09.43  74.35
 29  43  180541 HARMANEN Niko  1988  FIN   1:09.48  75.16
 30  22  532704 REYNOLDS Charlie  1989  USA   1:09.52  75.81
 31  34  532165 LEAFE Trevor  1989  USA   1:09.68  78.41
 32  45  40489 LAIDLAW Luke  1992  AUS   1:09.83  80.84
 33  33  934523 ENGEL Mark  1991  USA   1:10.05  84.41
 34  29  934544 LUBOW L J  1991  USA   1:10.12  85.55
 35  57  6530187 MAJOR Victor  1992  USA   1:10.23  87.33
 36  40  934680 MARTIN Dustin  1991  USA   1:10.40  90.09
 37  27  6530104 BENNETT Bryce  1992  USA   1:10.42  90.41
 38  47  930047 BLACK Hunter  1990  USA   1:10.52  92.03
 39  35  934722 STRAND Derek  1991  USA   1:10.53  92.20
 40  55  930073 COXON Kyle  1990  USA   1:10.95  99.01
 41  52  6530114 CHEVALIER Luc Henri  1992  USA   1:10.99  99.66
 42  56  6530117 CONE Robert  1992  USA   1:11.02  100.15
 43  58  6530031 STENICKA Nicholas  1991  USA   1:11.26  104.04
 44  62  534534 VEENIS Scott  1984  USA   1:11.37  105.82
 45  42  930249 SCALIA Nicholas  1990  USA   1:11.41  106.47
 46  44  530214 FORD William  1987  USA   1:11.52  108.26
 47  64  930272 STANG Nick  1990  USA   1:11.97  115.56
 48  59  410365 BARWOOD Adam  1992  NZE   1:12.08  117.34
 49  61  6530266 SCANNELL Jake  1992  USA   1:12.09  117.50
 50  54
I bet those guys could crush on me snowblades.

I have never heard of any of those guys but I have freeskied with a few current US ski teamers A team. what skis do you think they use freeskiing snowbird? eh Ill take the fun out of but Ill tell you.

 Both of these skis are Nymans Watea with rocker 
23539_541927685455_4404290_32010571_2702170_n.jpg

he use them between runs at the olympics

23539_541927835155_4404290_32010600_247292_n.jpg

these pictures are admitly third person but they are in my closer circle of friends

 
its threads like these I always regret not doing the US ski team skis on rockered skis thread. Just to make old racers like you relize that even the new WC kids on the block ski on rockered skis freeskiing.

FYI lightey use S7s and BC112. FYI I have never seen either of these guy freeski a skinny skis and have spent more than a couple days skiing with each.

oh BTW what do you guys think of this? 

fwt10_verbier_ddaher-1989_big.jpg

 

Edited by BushwackerinPA - 3/21/10 at 4:36pm
post #124 of 141
 A "chip on your shoulder" usually means that the person is unduly challenging others and generally being confrontational.  I would say from an observer's point of view that it is exactly correct.

Edit:  Fixed the possessive.  I'm obsessive about possessives.
Edited by Posaune - 3/22/10 at 8:22am
post #125 of 141
The problem with this particular forum is this: The only people that are aknowledged to be good skiers are racers. That is the holy grail of performance skiing on Epic. Everything else barely exists in the minds of so many here.
post #126 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfydog View Post

You are simply not making much progress in your painfully slow journey to maturity.  Head over to Whiteface.  There are a few hundred skiers there right now, who if they bothered, would open your eyes to the fact, that no matter how hot of a skier you claim to be, there are many much better. Here's a list of 50 of them, that I'd bet could, if so inclined, run you ragged in any snow on any ski  Most all of them, however, can somehow discuss gear preferences without throwing down some childish challenge, 


Isn't this statement kinda childish too?

Just say'n.
post #127 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post

I see myself that would say what he felt what was right with no care if its going to offended anyone or step on people toes.

Please translate from Sanskrit into English. Just trying to follow along and don't want to lose the plot. Thanks.
post #128 of 141

    Personally, I believe that rockered skis (i mean real rocker, not just a little tip rise) will comprise a big chunk of the market in the next few years, but 50%, I doubt it. Rockered skis are, and will remain, niche skis, even though it is a large niche - soft snow. 
    My experience on rockers has been positive on ANY soft snow , from dust on crust to cut up soft snow. Camber, however, is far superior for consolidated snow and that is what most eastern skiers ski on all the time and western skiers some of the time.  Rocker will work on hardpack but it is less fun. Camber will work on powder but it is less fun. Skiing is about fun , to state to obvious (at least to some of us) and if you have the cash and the space, why not have a couple specialized tools to play with. It's like cooking knives: you COULD dice onions with a paring knife, but I would rather use a nice french knife instead. All this being said, given the choice of one ski for western Canada, I'll take my rockered ski, hands down. 
   Many of the posts in this thread seem to imply that rockers are "cheater" skis that are employed by the less skilled in order to ski terrain beyond their abilities on conventional skis.  While this may, in some cases, be absolutely true, it is equally true that many skilled riders have also adopted (and adapted to) the new ski design.  My experience with rocker has been that while one can get away with some sloppy turn initiation and "powerslide" maneuvers , rockered skis have a very low tolerance for poor fore-aft balance and will absolutely respond better to a nice, round carved turn technique than hacking slashed turns. Of course this is pretty subjective, others may have different experiences.

post #129 of 141
BushwhackerinPA - So what rockered skis pray tell are you on and to what do you attribute their good hard snow (and eastern ice) abilities?
Edited by ski-ra - 3/21/10 at 6:29pm
post #130 of 141
 Sooooo, yesterday Bumpfreaq and I closed Caberfae Peaks down for the winter, with spring conditions, which went from frozen groomers to slush without making any transition to corn of any kind.

I was rockin' my Kastles(although I did do a few runs on TheSki ), while bumpfreaq was rockin' his BlueHouse Maestro's
25402_10150157319940018_830505017_11348710_4490802_n.jpg

I can't speak for him, but it sure looked like his rockin' rockers made for fun skiing in the spring slush
However, speaking from my point of view, the wall of slush those things can lay up is not nice for anyone he passes.  Almost reminded me of the wall of water from a water ski, eh?
25402_10150157319800018_830505017_11348706_4952660_n.jpg

BF it was nice to see you back on the slopes.  Glad you're healing well.
post #131 of 141
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski-ra View Post

BushwhackerinPA - So what rockered skis pray tell are you on and to what do you attribute their good hard snow (and eastern ice) abilities?

nothing can ski water ice, but on hardpack keep the edges sharp and youll be fine. the ski is predecambered already and can make tighter turns than you would think. I'm the first skier and this groomer is icey by western standards. I would never take rockered ski out just to ski groomers(I have SL and GS skis for that) but for allmountain skiing where you dont want edges to feel like on off switched they work better than anything else...even chalky off trail hardpack, and dont leave you carveless on groomers or ice.



the ski is the katana

FYI the same ski absolutely dances while destroying slush bumps even tight rutty and rock filled slush bumps.

post #132 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
...the ski is the katana....
 
Not to deny that skiing these back east isn't something I'd consider "interesting", but the Katana is hardly a rockered ski (it's flat-cambered last I checked) and it is known for it's burly metal-layer build to should give it considerable edge-grip for a tanker.  OTOH bumps certainly should not be their forte, but you guys are clearly staying over 'em and using what they do to their advantage (smear/slide?), though slush bumps ain't the challenge I'd like to see thrown at these babies.
post #133 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski-ra View Post

 but the Katana is hardly a rockered ski (it's flat-cambered last I checked) 

As has been discussed in a number of threads, the 09/10 Katana is a full reverse camber ski.
post #134 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

 Sooooo, yesterday Bumpfreaq and I closed Caberfae Peaks down for the winter, with spring conditions, which went from frozen groomers to slush without making any transition to corn of any kind.

I was rockin' my Kastles(although I did do a few runs on TheSki ), while bumpfreaq was rockin' his BlueHouse Maestro's
25402_10150157319940018_830505017_11348710_4490802_n.jpg

I can't speak for him, but it sure looked like his rockin' rockers made for fun skiing in the spring slush
However, speaking from my point of view, the wall of slush those things can lay up is not nice for anyone he passes.  Almost reminded me of the wall of water from a water ski, eh?
25402_10150157319800018_830505017_11348706_4952660_n.jpg
BF it was nice to see you back on the slopes.  Glad you're healing well.
Don't really care to have a horse in this race...... but these skis made quick work of everything from semi-firm to slush to mashed potatoes.  A few weeks ago I was just amazed at how easily they handled powder bumps at Mary Jane.  If you ask me, these are some very versatile boards.

Thanks TC, it was great to be back out on the snow.  The sun and the wonderful company were just icing on the cake.
post #135 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
25402_10150157319940018_830505017_11348710_4490802_n.jpg

 


Is mis-matched ski gear an "oop nort" thing?
post #136 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cznskier View Post





Is mis-matched ski gear an "oop nort" thing?
ya shur, youbetcha!
post #137 of 141
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski-ra View Post

Not to deny that skiing these back east isn't something I'd consider "interesting", but the Katana is hardly a rockered ski (it's flat-cambered last I checked) and it is known for it's burly metal-layer build to should give it considerable edge-grip for a tanker.  OTOH bumps certainly should not be their forte, but you guys are clearly staying over 'em and using what they do to their advantage (smear/slide?), though slush bumps ain't the challenge I'd like to see thrown at these babies.

Well I am on katanas and my crazy almost out of control friend lookers right was on bridges.

the katana is full reverse ski as you said is burly with its metal layup but.....since the skis is predecambered already its actually a complete pussy cat. I can do dynamic short turns, pivot turns with no effort but still have ski that doesnt get bounced GS turning crud and studder bumps. Id say the real advantage in spring time bumps is these things is you never catch and edge, your right you can smear slide when you need or want to, but in reality the rockered shape actually opens up more rounded lines on the hill to me. In bumps the ski almostbs and deadens each hit while never putting back or front seat. I can ski bumps faster on my 184cm Scott P3 using more of what my buddy matt is showing(straight up over the sides zipperlining) but for relaxed all day semi aggresive skiing in any snow that isnt ice Id pick the Katana. make no mistake comp bumps skier arent going to be rockered anytime soon, but for average or even above average joes rockered skis make even sense in the bumps....

what challenge would like to see? they handle everything equally well despite being the widest ski in my quiver now it has the largest range of conditions and terrain types it works well enough to be "FUN". I am skiing them short in 183cm just because some chutes around here can be barely over 200cm wide, if i was at snowbird Id be on the 190 or 197 with out question.
post #138 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski-ra View Post

Not to deny that skiing these back east isn't something I'd consider "interesting", but the Katana is hardly a rockered ski (it's flat-cambered last I checked) and it is known for it's burly metal-layer build to should give it considerable edge-grip for a tanker.  OTOH bumps certainly should not be their forte, but you guys are clearly staying over 'em and using what they do to their advantage (smear/slide?), though slush bumps ain't the challenge I'd like to see thrown at these babies.

Not only is the Katana fully rockered for 2010, but the metal layers are very light and thin.  Completely different than the 09 ski.  The 2010 Katana is quite a bit lighter and more nimble/airy feeling than the 09 ski, or something like a Mothership.  I don't think the 2010 Katana is beefy at all.
post #139 of 141
All these rockered ski threads seem to lump all rockered skis together, but as Dawgcatching pointed out in Bob Peter's thread there are so many different takes on rockered ski designs that you really can't group them all together when discussing their pros/cons.

I have skied quite a few of the different rockered skis that are available and I believe that the Katana is truly one of the "special" skis.  So it IS possible to design a rockered ski that has mostly hits and not many misses for being an all-mountain ski.  However, there are rockered skis out there that really are much more specialized and really don't fit into anyone's quiver as an all-mountain ski.  I've been on a few that have absolutely scared me to death on hard groomers .
post #140 of 141
I challange you to a porn stash grow off
If it faces wasangles is it front side?
I tried to puff with cheech Marin on the chair lift
Is this the new rockered stoke thread?
how many season @ the turd you do
Did Dean Cumming sign your boobies?
Newfs rule
post #141 of 141
 BRO stoke.........skifishbum, you're good at that. 
Way to derail a perfectly obnoxious debate.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › The Rockered Revolution