- topicChildrentagged by System, 3/22/10
Related Forum Threads
- Warmest Base/Mid-layer options for KIDS Last post on 1/16/17 at 1:19pm in Family Skiing Discussions
- First Time Out for 6 Year Old [- A Beginner Zone topic] Last post on 1/3/17 at 12:07pm in Beginner Zone
- Gear for skiing in negative temps [tween on D-Team for the first time] Last post on 12/16/16 at 11:35am in Ski Gear Discussion
- Keystone Lesson Suggestions for Shy 6 year old (first timer) daughter Last post on 1/6/17 at 11:47am in Family Skiing Discussions
- Boot Fitter Near NYC Last post on 11/9/16 at 3:39pm in Ski Gear Discussion
Teaching Children To Ski
Last edited: 7/13/11
- Money And Time Saving Tips For Parents Of Young SkiersLast edited: 4/20/11
- Children And Good SkiingLast edited: 4/22/11
Spent 5 days there during fairly low snow conditions with about of foot of new snow the night we arrived and 6 inches later in the week. It was cold and windy for most of our stay which meant that...
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
This is the most incredibly over-the-top country-club-like resort we've been and we've skied all over USA. It's so cool I took pictures of the bathrooms! Beautifully done. Three gondolas keep...
I went to Maverick the day after a day at Big Sky and what a dramatic difference. As opposed to Big Sky's massive area (which seemed to me to ski much smaller than its size), hard skier packed...
How Old Before You Let The Kids Fly Solo? - Page 2post #31 of 3612/25/12 at 7:39pmpost #32 of 3612/25/12 at 9:11pmpost #33 of 3612/27/12 at 9:56pmpost #34 of 3612/31/12 at 12:34pm
This is completely off-topic, but . . . an example of a good son who wants his parents to enjoy skiing well past their 70's. He's looking for better skis for them as they slow down a bit.post #35 of 361/4/13 at 4:02pmpost #36 of 361/4/13 at 5:53pmQuote:Originally Posted by Xela
My nine year old knows her way around Squaw Valley as well as I do. I wouldn't worry about her getting lost. What I worry about, and the reasons she doesn't ski alone, are more about snow safety and judgment. She still doesn't always look uphill before she starts. She can get stuck in powder. She lacks understanding of tree wells. While she naturally shies away from unfamiliar jumps, drops, and cornices, she still displays a degree of recklessness when skiing with friends. If someone got hurt, I'm not sure she'd know to cross her skis and signal patrol.
Now, if we went to an unfamiliar area, I'd have more reasons, but for now the reasons have more to do with "what" and "how" than "where".
That is exactly the issue I have with my kids, 9 & 11. On a small hill consisting of groomers I'd probably let them go. West of the Continental Divide? I don't think so. My older son found out about tree wells a couple of years ago, and I am protective as a result.
- How Old Before You Let The Kids Fly Solo?
- Money And Time Saving Tips For Parents Of Young Skiers
- › Bad idea to practice on 27m skis before a 30m race? 22 minutes ago
- › Quadriceps Tendon Rupture, Repair and Rehab 27 minutes ago
- › Big Bear 2016-2017 27 minutes ago
- › Aspen end of March?? 35 minutes ago
- › When Couldn't You Keep Up? [- a Family Skiing topic] 1 hour ago
- › Bump turn on flats 1 hour ago
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 1 hour, 2 minutes ago
- › Side/base angles: please explain, thanks 1 hour, 29 minutes ago
- › Before and after 1 hour, 39 minutes ago
- › Kirkwood lodging options? 1 hour, 59 minutes ago
- › Big Sky by oldgoat
- › Kneebinding Knee Friendly Binding by barunrm
- › Snowbird by MBrady
- › Snowbasin by MBrady
- › Maverick Mountain by Roadrash
- › Lutsen Mountains by comfortstarr
- › Tremblant by jzmtl
- › Panorama Mountain Village by Pacobillie
- › 1988 Salomon SX91 Equipe by vieuxcrouton
- › Mt. Baker by jhkc
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview