EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs › Semi-broken shovel edges - Head Monster IM 82
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Semi-broken shovel edges - Head Monster IM 82

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

My girlfriend just bought a used pair of Head Monster IM 82 skis off eBay. We're going to Tahoe this week, so I edged and waxed them to get them ready. While working on them I noticed on each ski about an inch in from the tip the edge was not quite but amost broken all the way through. The bases are fine, no cracks or delamination, but it looks like maybe the tips got pushed down really hard on a hard bump, or bent in some way that caused tme edges to break. Again, not all the way through, but partially.

I could post a close up pic of the edge, but I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this (or something similar) before, and, if so, if they have any suggestions about what to do about it - live with it, try to repair somehow, etc?

post #2 of 8
Pics.

My first thought is: the edge wraps around the tip, but there is a spot where the edge starts/ ends... is that what you are seeing? The point where the edge's two ends of edge meet?
post #3 of 8
 Post pics, but I have a feeling this is not damage or broken edges.  On older models of the iM82, the edges do not wrap around the tip/tail in a continuous piece of metal.  There are joints where separate sections of edge meet.

On the newer models with machined metal tip protector, the tip protector takes the place of that tip section of metal edge.
post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 
IM 82 Tip Edge 1.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post

 Post pics, but I have a feeling this is not damage or broken edges.  On older models of the iM82, the edges do not wrap around the tip/tail in a continuous piece of metal.  There are joints where separate sections of edge meet.
 

Looks like this is what it could be. I've attached a pic - apologies for fuzziness. I only have cell camera, and tried but this was the best short focus I could get.

Even if this is a point where the edge sections meet, they've come apart, and as is provide a surface that could hook on something, or provide a weak flex point, and maybe pull things even further apart.

Suggestions on how to remedy? Can/should a tip protector be retrofitted?
post #5 of 8
 I can't see for sure, but if there is what I think I see -- an opening in the ski where water could get in -- then it's not normal.  The question is what has departed from the "normal" shape of the ski -- the top or the edges?  What about the p-tex directly next to the edge?

Normally I epoxy and clamp delaminations, but in that location and right near the metal edge, it's probably not going to hold on its own.  Tip protectors might be a good addition to beef up the repair and protect the whole area.  You can get some that will fit the iM82 here:

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/product_detail.asp?RowID=81&CS=nordica&All=
Edited by skier219 - 3/7/10 at 3:39pm
post #6 of 8
If she has not skied on them, she could not have done the damage and they should go back to the seller as not as advertised. Unless of course the seller identified this as a flaw. It is a flaw and serious damage. Trying to get this to be as good as it should be is not going to be easy.
post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastersRacer View Post

If she has not skied on them, she could not have done the damage and they should go back to the seller as not as advertised. Unless of course the seller identified this as a flaw. It is a flaw and serious damage. Trying to get this to be as good as it should be is not going to be easy.

 

Haven't skied them yet, and seller did not identify the damage. (Claims he didn't know.)


Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post

 I can't see for sure, but if there is what I think I see -- an opening in the ski where water could get in -- then it's not normal.  The question is what has departed from the "normal" shape of the ski -- the top or the edges?  What about the p-tex directly next to the edge?

Normally I epoxy and clamp delaminations, but in that location and right near the metal edge, it's probably not going to hold on its own.  Tip protectors might be a good addition to beef up the repair and protect the whole area.  You can get some that will fit the iM82 here:

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/product_detail.asp?RowID=81&CS=nordica&All=
 

Thanks for the pointer to the protectors. Since she hasn't skied them yet and we don't want to cause any further damage we're going to take them into Rainbow Mountain in South Tahoe first thing in the morning and see what the they think can/should be done. Unless it can be corrected I guess we'll try to return them to the ebay seller.

Thanks for the feedback!
post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 

A quick capper on this story ... we ended up taking the skis into Sports Ltd. in S. Lake Tahoe,  and they opened up the top of the skis, glued them thoroughly, and clamped them for 24 hours. $25 repair for both skis. My girfriend skied them at Heavenly today and loved them.

The repair brought everything into line and looking good. Only question remaining is how long it will last.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs › Semi-broken shovel edges - Head Monster IM 82