New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BODE stivot in HD, SLO MO - Page 2

post #31 of 40
Seve in golf?  What about Jack, who had the "flying elbow" and the left heel that came off the ground because he rotated more than 90 degrees?  His right knee was solid, unlike the modern instruction of today.  BUT THE FUNDAMENTALS WERE THERE.  

No different with Bode, IMHO.  He happens to load the tails in SL, so he has a ski built for him that works with his technique.  He thinks skiing with longer skis and stivoting is faster than taking a higher line and carving around certain gates in certain races, so he makes it happen by having more skis than almost anyone else.  But the fundamentals of great skiing are always there.  I just see what he does as more "art" than pure "science." 

Going back to golf, Tiger "I slept with more skanks than you" Woods can do things, like his "stinger" off the tee, that no other human can do.  Does that make the "stinger" an example of bad technique since he doesn't follow through?  Is it bad technique to play the The Open (British Open) using a stinger off the tee and not a driver, which is the conventional thing to do?  Heck, no.He is simply playing the course.  What he does is simply "art" on the golf course, and what Bode does is simply "art" on the race course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wear The Fox Hat View Post

CTK, Bode's "Good technique" is like Seve in golf.
Seve was a great golfer, but he wasn't a good one. His greatness came from his ability to play remarkable recovery shots following on from bad lies. Other golfers would have taken two or three shots to get out of the rough, but he could do it in one.

Bode is great at getting himself out of bad situations that would throw other skiers. But a lot of other skiers have better technique, so they don't end up in the bad situation, and they still finish with excellent times.
So, next time you watch Bode steer his inside ski to get himself out of a bad situation, or rotate his hips - the way he frequently does - think of Seve.
They are both similar - and both great ambassadors for their sports.

 

Edited by quant2325 - 2/26/10 at 9:56am
post #32 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by quant2325 View Post...

No different with Bode, IMHO.  He happens to load the tails in SL, so he has a ski built for him that works with his technique.  He thinks skiing with longer skis and stivoting is faster than taking a higher line and carving around certain gates in certain races, so he makes it happen by having more skis than almost anyone else.  But the fundamentals of great skiing are always there.  I just see what he does as more "art" than pure "science."  ...


 

I like that way of expressing it.  He gets skis that work for him, golfers will choose how much bounce they want on their sand wedge.  He's also chosen to often try to do the "beautiful" thing many times as far as trying to ski right on the edge...when it results in things like his fenceride @Kitzbuhel it does approach a certain kind of improvised performance art.
post #33 of 40
I can agree with the art not science bit. Which makes it strange that some would choose him as a good example of science (i.e. empirical rather than expressive)
post #34 of 40
CTKook: Yeah, maybe he got to be one of the best racers of the last 10 years by sucking, you're right. 

I did not say Bode sucks. I agree that he is one of the best racers out there (definitely one of the most athletic), so I don't understand your statement above.

I said his technique is questionable. WTFH put it very well in his post if you prefer a different way of expressing that.
post #35 of 40
What's so questionable about it Tom. The fact is he owns a couple crystal globes. This should tell you his technique is pretty successful, in spite of it being unconventional at times. Why not try to learn why it's so successful instead of spending so much time trying to say it's questionable and he's only successful because he's such a good athlete.
Edited by justanotherskipro - 2/27/10 at 2:26am
post #36 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherskipro View Post

What's so questionable about it Tom. The fact is he owns a couple crystal globes. This should tell you his technique is pretty successful, in spite of it being unconventional at times. Why not try to learn why it's so successful instead of spending so much time trying to say it's questionable and he's only successful because he's such a good athlete.

Good posting. I think that every technique, tactics and movement has its drawbacks. By being in the back seat Bode keeps his CoM low and moving down the hill closer to the fall line. With the short SL skis he usually ends up on his back that is true but he is not the only one. Its a gamble. Its risky. Its high level racing.
post #37 of 40
The nice thing about ski racing is that the clocks pretty objective. 
Obviously Bode has good technique.  He's won the overall, gs, combined and even a couple of SG titles.  Heck that's the best US men's skiing since Phil Mahre. 

That's almost as good as wining the DH title.  Something only one North American has been able to do (and that was a tie).
post #38 of 40
Once you understand the stivot for what it is (scrubbing speed move) it's easy to find an analogous equivalent in other sports. The one that comes to mind most to me is a race car driver braking before entering a chicane. If they don't slow down the car will not stay on the race track.
post #39 of 40

Some think that in ski racing you are always trying to gain speed and go faster. Sometimes yes but not always just like in the race car example above.  People also think that if wc skiers could use skis with turn radius of 21m in GS they would. Skis are picked to fit wider arc turns. Exceptions were in val disere last year where some had special skis made with less turn radius, still over 27m.

post #40 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherskipro View Post

Once you understand the stivot for what it is (scrubbing speed move) it's easy to find an analogous equivalent in other sports. The one that comes to mind most to me is a race car driver braking before entering a chicane. If they don't slow down the car will not stay on the race track.

   Supermoto; also MTBs, etc.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7fn1XndE3o
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Instruction & Coaching