It exists because:
1) It builds on the x-Games phenomena and brings in a new generation to snow sports;
2) It showcases ex-racers who can no longer compete on the WC but still have some skills left;
3) Roller Derby on snow is fun to watch;
4) Kids believe they can compete in ski cross even though they can't (no ski area wants the liability of closing a hill and/or building a dedicated area to let kids smash into each other).
5) The jerks at NBC think Curling (shuffleboard on ice) is more exciting than ski racing (which is why we were all watching it live on www.fromsport.com
). They will show ski-cross for the advertising revenue, which is dumb since the average skier has more disposable $ than the average X-Games slacker. Maybe they will start showing ski racing live if a new generation watches Roller Derby on snow?Edited by quant2325 - 2/22/10 at 11:33am