EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Good place to get a wax in Jackson?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good place to get a wax in Jackson?

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
Yes, ski wax. 

Heading to Jackson from the 5-14th.  Bringing a freshly waxed pair of skis, but I know I'll probably want to get them waxed once or twice while I'm there.  8-9 days of skiing in a row probably warrant it, depending on conditions.  Any good recommendations on a place to get a hot wax where they'll have a quick turnaround?  Or should I just bring my iron, scraper, and wax?  I could probably do a quick 1-2-3 without too many problems. 

Tried searching for this, but the best one I found was from 2001...
post #2 of 21
LOL Cant stop chuckling love the thread title, but dont have a clue where ya go to get waxed!!haha
post #3 of 21
lots of choices. Many ski shops at the base. You could just cork it.
post #4 of 21
 The main rental shop (also where the ski school desk is) has an overnight service where you can drop your skis off end of the day and pick them up at the shop the next morning.  Very nice and convienent since you basically get a free storage overnight and won't have to carry your skis back to the hotel for one night and morning.  :)
post #5 of 21
Thread Starter 
Awesome.  Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardgirl View Post

 The main rental shop (also where the ski school desk is) has an overnight service where you can drop your skis off end of the day and pick them up at the shop the next morning.  Very nice and convienent since you basically get a free storage overnight and won't have to carry your skis back to the hotel for one night and morning.  :)
post #6 of 21
If you need to get your skis waxed at Jackson, you are skiing the wrong runs.
post #7 of 21
Thread Starter 
Yea, well, I want to spend most of my time off piste, but if conditions dont allow for it, that might limit me.  Also, I'm taking my bro out there for the first time, and he's never skied out west before.  He's a good skier, but we may spend some time on the groomers, etc for a bit until he gets used to the fact that its a lot tougher than the midwest.  I want my bro to have a good time while he's there, and if that means skiing some groomers for a bit and getting some good speed, so be it.  He's there for 4 days, then leaving, i'll be there for 8, so I can get my off piste skiing done with my buddies who will still be there when he leaves...  unless of course he wants to go nuts like me! lol


Quote:
Originally Posted by U.P. Racer View Post

If you need to get your skis waxed at Jackson, you are skiing the wrong runs.
 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidude04 View Post

 8-9 days of skiing in a row probably warrant it, depending on conditions. 
 



 
post #8 of 21
 Your coming at the right time!
post #9 of 21
Thread Starter 
Totally stoked about it, too!  Looks like the weather might set up nicely for some snow next week!  May have to try to hunt you down for a run or two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonpwdrjunkie View Post

 Your coming at the right time!
post #10 of 21
Get yourself hooked up with Teton powder Junkie, Skiing in Jackson and bob Peters. You won't even think about the wax on your boards......   

Jackson's one of the most beautiful places you'll ever see, starting with the plane ride in as it sets up for landing over the Tetons.  Grab a trail map at the airport and start to familairize yourself with the basics of the mountain, the major traverses and lifts. If you want to start off easy, head over to Apres vous (AV) area which is to the right (looking up the mountain) and then work over to the gondi and hit some of the trails off there, take the Thunderhead lift and head over to Amphitheater and Laramie bowl, from there you can hit so much stuff either on the groomed or inbetween.  Take the Sublette lift up and you've got another huge area to work. If none of that is challenging, go to the tram and there's another huge play ground up there.  This is just a quick overview and these guys can do a much better job of getting you going.
post #11 of 21
Thread Starter 
Thanks Finn!  Definitely excited to get out there and have a great time!  2 more days... Feels like an eternity while sitting here at work.  I keep telling my bro that he is totally going to be spoiled by Jackson since it will be his first time out west. 

I saw a lot of your pics on the 1/17 - 1/24 TR, I'll be sure to get a full TR up for all you guys - complete with some great pics!  Trust me, I'm just as in to photography as skiing, so this will be perfect.  Like any trip I take, I gotta get something for the wall! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

Get yourself hooked up with Teton powder Junkie, Skiing in Jackson and bob Peters. You won't even think about the wax on your boards......   

Jackson's one of the most beautiful places you'll ever see, starting with the plane ride in as it sets up for landing over the Tetons.  Grab a trail map at the airport and start to familairize yourself with the basics of the mountain, the major traverses and lifts. If you want to start off easy, head over to Apres vous (AV) area which is to the right (looking up the mountain) and then work over to the gondi and hit some of the trails off there, take the Thunderhead lift and head over to Amphitheater and Laramie bowl, from there you can hit so much stuff either on the groomed or inbetween.  Take the Sublette lift up and you've got another huge area to work. If none of that is challenging, go to the tram and there's another huge play ground up there.  This is just a quick overview and these guys can do a much better job of getting you going.
post #12 of 21
Wax?!?!?!?! You dont need no stinking wax! A bit of  F4 and and a cork should do you nicely. Plus, then you get to talk nice to your skis before you go out for the day. Ooops - or maybe I'm the only one who does that?

Those of us out a few weeks ago all need some base work post trip ... but sounds like you all should be free and clear of that issue :)
post #13 of 21
 a few good shots to the bases are like getting free souveniers.....
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.P. Racer View Post

If you need to get your skis waxed at Jackson, you are skiing the wrong runs.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

Get yourself hooked up with Teton powder Junkie, Skiing in Jackson and bob Peters. You won't even think about the wax on your boards......   

Jackson's one of the most beautiful places you'll ever see, starting with the plane ride in as it sets up for landing over the Tetons.  Grab a trail map at the airport and start to familairize yourself with the basics of the mountain, the major traverses and lifts. If you want to start off easy, head over to Apres vous (AV) area which is to the right (looking up the mountain) and then work over to the gondi and hit some of the trails off there, take the Thunderhead lift and head over to Amphitheater and Laramie bowl, from there you can hit so much stuff either on the groomed or inbetween.  Take the Sublette lift up and you've got another huge area to work. If none of that is challenging, go to the tram and there's another huge play ground up there.  This is just a quick overview and these guys can do a much better job of getting you going.
According to the TR pics of UP Racer and advice from Finndog, you shouldn't need wax. 
post #15 of 21
Thread Starter 
LOL!  Fine!  Jeez.  You guys make it so tough for me to stay out of the trees since you don't want me to wax my skis. 

I'll just have to stay in the freshest stuff I can find I guess. lol

Seriously though - I guess I've always spoiled myself at home with a fresh hot wax before each day out.  I may just stick with a crayon and cork and be done with it.  Like most of you suggested, I'll probably end up spending most of my time off the groomers anyway.  Hopefully I can bring even more snow to Jackson.. Even though they're already getting into great shape out there.  I don't think anyone would complain if we got another 18"! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebug View Post

Wax?!?!?!?! You dont need no stinking wax! A bit of  F4 and and a cork should do you nicely. Plus, then you get to talk nice to your skis before you go out for the day. Ooops - or maybe I'm the only one who does that?

Those of us out a few weeks ago all need some base work post trip ... but sounds like you all should be free and clear of that issue :)




Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post







According to the TR pics of UP Racer and advice from Finndog, you shouldn't need wax. 

 
post #16 of 21
I don't think you realize how freakin' fast you get going on those groomed runs even!  You're gonna be begging for sandpaper, not wax.
post #17 of 21
In all seriousness, though...  there are TONS of places to get your skis waxed.  It won't be a problem to find a place.
post #18 of 21
Thread Starter 
Love it!  Thats almost signature worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.P. Racer View Post

... You're gonna be begging for sandpaper, not wax.
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.P. Racer View Post

 You're gonna be begging for sandpaper, not wax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidude04 View Post

Love it!  Thats almost signature worthy
 


 

Almost signature worthy?  You should have that as your sig already!  Great stuff.  Have fun at JHMR!

Mike
post #20 of 21
Thread Starter 
Anyone know if theres anywhere else you can pay to store your skis overnight?  Staying in Jackson, this could be convenient in the morning and afternoon.  I think I heard $10 to keep them overnight at JH sports.  $10 is way too much for me to spend,.

Anyone know of other options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardgirl View Post

 The main rental shop (also where the ski school desk is) has an overnight service where you can drop your skis off end of the day and pick them up at the shop the next morning.  Very nice and convienent since you basically get a free storage overnight and won't have to carry your skis back to the hotel for one night and morning.  :)
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidude04 View Post

Anyone know if theres anywhere else you can pay to store your skis overnight?  Staying in Jackson, this could be convenient in the morning and afternoon.  I think I heard $10 to keep them overnight at JH sports.  $10 is way too much for me to spend,.

Anyone know of other options?
 


 

At the Bridger Center (right next to Gondi), there is a really nice locker room where you can rent a locker for about $15 per night. It is full size and will hold 4 pair of skis overnight. Skiing in Jackson and Bob Peters are two people you will see there. Way better than hauling skis back and forth. Split the fee with others if you are in a group. There is an attendant there all day and it's locked overnight. Nice boot drying rack too.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Good place to get a wax in Jackson?