1) Your son will love the Olympic Park and Museum. You can watch jumpers, lugers/bob sledders/ freestylers, etc. and have fun in the museum. It is next to The Canyons. You will see it when you drive in from the airport.
2) Cow's Ice Cream and the RM Chocolate Factory are a must for a 9-year old.
3) Slopeside means your son shouldn't have to take an emergency dump after you drive to a ski area. The Grand Summit at The Canyons is a few steps from the gondola, and is a luxury condo/hotel. I've stayed there...it is nice. PCMR has some great ski in-ski out locations. Some are owned by Marriott. Worth checking out, too.
4) Deer Valley is totally over-groomed (IMO) and great for intermediates. The mountain is smaller than PCMR and TC, but still large enough. Everything at DV is more expensive, too. You have luxury, but you pay for it.
5) All three mountains have great ski schools for kids. Consider an all-day lesson or two if your son likes them. They are a great way to improve quickly to the next level.
6) You son will want to go tubing for a day. Perhaps he will want a train ride, too.
7) Park City is only a few minutes from Deer Valley and The Canyons. There is always parking in the public garages if the street spaces are filled. It really doesn't matter where you stay if you are driving, unless you want the convenience of ski in/ski out.
8) The Canyons has the most skiable acerage with PCMR having nearly as much. TC is more difficult to get around until you ski it for a couple of days and figure out how many of the 8 mountains you want to ski that day. Hint: Ski away from Red Pine Lodge on weekends to avoid any lift line. Park City is easier to figure out (at first). Deer Valley is smaller (still "world class") and really easy to get around. I'm partial to The Canyons because my sons and I can ski Dreamscape, Dreamcatcher and 9990 without lift lines, but if you ask 100 people which mountain is better you will get 150 different answers. On a really cold day I'd go to DV because the lodges are closer to any lift. If you hate snow boarders go to DV (they don't allow them).
9) Cottonwood Canyon resorts do get more powder, but the Park City resorts have plenty enough coverage this year so going to PC as intermediates is a great choice.
Edited by quant2325 - 1/25/10 at 8:34am