New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best ski bum town - Page 2

post #31 of 50
Quote:


tahoe snow also differs a lot from resort to resort from my experience...

 


to be more accurate i would say it varies from day to day.... you get every kind of snow condition here.


Quote:
Originally Posted by anythingunusual View Post

Maybe I just went on a bad day (~40 degrees out), but I asked someone on the lift that was a local, if this type of snow was typical, and their response was that that day was actually a great day...
 

that's because we actually like the heavier snow.  it's more fun to ski, sticks to steeper terrain, and skis bottomless with less snow.  the fluff is fun every now and then as a novelty, but i get more stoked for windbuff and storms that start with rain.
post #32 of 50
Well, the work part IS an issue here right now.  My daughter and I both tried to get jobs at the mountain this year and didn't.  Even the "imports" from South America seem to be at a much lower level.  The Help Wanted column in the paper is less than a full column and is mostly for nurses, temporary newspaper routes, and jobs 25 miles or more away. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2 ski View Post




To the OP, Sibhusky posted a picture or two in a similar thread of a small town, kind of a western look to it, Christmas lights and I think a mountain in the background. That is the kind of place I want to be some day. Just a small town with a great mountain nearby.
While your young, your going to need to work. So for jobs and quality snow, go to Ut.
post #33 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by juhocha View Post

if im picking somewhere to live and ski everyday, Stowe would be at the bottom of my list. it doesnt even have as much vert as whiteface. best ski bum towns are jackson and winterpark if you like being in the middle of nowhere. 

tahoe is a good ski bum town because of the variety. tahoe snow also differs a lot from resort to resort from my experience

the alps are a bad place to ski bum unless you know french and are a ski instructor who has cheap accommodation. or if you have a very nice trust fund and can stay at a luxury chalet all winter then go to bariloche for the summer


 

whiteface doesnt get shit for snow. I would rather ski 2300 vertical of powder/soft snow than 3000 vertical feet of iceface anyday.

Stowe is arguebly the best on the east coast, id go so far to say that more lifelong and not transient ski bums are here than anywhere I have visited so far. Sure out west has better snow and some people might choose that just because of that.

I have skied more untracked snow per day here than I have at snowbird but its hasnt been as deep...duh.

In fact dont come here is blows, it rains and get icey from time to time.
post #34 of 50
Jackson, if you can afford the pass
post #35 of 50
Being a ski bum in the late 60s early 70s the deal was get a job working for the ski area. Free pass to ski as an employee, work the weekend and then get days off mid week when the crowds went home. That was the best gig but you still needed to find a cheap room.

If you were lucky you could get a room with the small pay check. I worked at Mt Snow in the main hotel at the entrance to the mountain for a season. Got a free room/bunk, and highly discounted tickets for skiing. Worked the 4PM to 11:PM shift in the restaurant making salads and bussing tables.

Got to oogle little rich New York city girls and Joisey girls there with their parents. Got drunk a lot on free restaurant booze with the other guys, and some of the waitresses.

Looking back on it.. not a lot of fun.
post #36 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post




whiteface doesnt get shit for snow. I would rather ski 2300 vertical of powder/soft snow than 3000 vertical feet of iceface anyday.

Stowe is arguebly the best on the east coast, id go so far to say that more lifelong and not transient ski bums are here than anywhere I have visited so far. Sure out west has better snow and some people might choose that just because of that.

I have skied more untracked snow per day here than I have at snowbird but its hasnt been as deep...duh.

In fact dont come here is blows, it rains and get icey from time to time.


 
was just making a comparison. and i disagree i think tremblant as a town is way better much more fun and enjoyable especially with a city close by and i prefer skiing tremblant over stowe too, 

although admittedly i havent been to stowe since i was maybe 16. (which was less than a decade ago)

but either way tremblant and stowe aside, what i meant to say is dont come to ski bum in an east coast town there really is no reason to
post #37 of 50

What about Telluride? I thought of hanging there this winter...anyone...anyone?

post #38 of 50

Telluride is a true ski town, with a couple lifts coming right into town.  You can walk to the lift with your ski boots on and ski for a couple hours on your lunch break, or walk to any bar in town at the end of the day, lean your skis up against the window, and go in with your boots on.  Unfortunately, it is also one of the most expensive ski towns in the USA to live in.  If you can pull it off, it is the real deal, but is also has considerably less annual snowfall than SLC, or the northwest areas.

post #39 of 50

I love the propaganda campaign of people from montana, sending the message that it is a terrible place to go. Very smart move :)

post #40 of 50

I ski bummed in Montana for 5 seasons. It has some fantastic skiing, but the sun almost never shines in the winter.  It is possible to have winter and sunshine.  In Colorado, Utah and New Mexico it tends to be sunny, except when it is snowing.  My last ski trip to Montana we were there 10 days.  Never saw the sun, and it never snowed.  I love Montana, some of the best people in the country, but if you can pick anywhere to ski bum for a year, IMO there are better options for snow and weather.

post #41 of 50

 

Thanks for the input. I've considered Big Sky, but I also like the sun. I'm in Boston now and it can't be much worse than our snow for one hour, rain for six, sleet, snow, rain, sleet, snow, rain, rain, snow for an hour, then its 65 and sunny for 25 minutes, a thunderstorm and below zero by bedtime...when it freezes overnight it's like concrete the next morning....yes this is how it is in New England. Getting board of 4 hour drives to go 75 miles in traffic just to ski on snow that belongs in an ice hockey goalie crease...I've looked at PC but I'm still not sure what kind of vibe I want...I'm going solo on this one so I need a place it will be easy to find a crowd to hang with. I have job apps into Big Sky, Grand Targhee, Telluride, Vail, Aspen, Breck, Snowbird, Park City, Deer and Solitude with a few call backs. I want to work at a resort for the free pass. So many decisions..

post #42 of 50

Oh did I mention I'm 30 and leaving a wife, soon to be X and a 65,000/yr job to do this for this winter, maybe more...have I lost it? or am I now just getting the point?

post #43 of 50

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFull View Post

I love the propaganda campaign of people from montana, sending the message that it is a terrible place to go. Very smart move :)

Well, at least in Flathead County last winter, unemployment WAS high, it still is.  NONE of the lifties were imports last year for a change. 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudfoot View Post

I ski bummed in Montana for 5 seasons. It has some fantastic skiing, but the sun almost never shines in the winter.  It is possible to have winter and sunshine.  In Colorado, Utah and New Mexico it tends to be sunny, except when it is snowing.  My last ski trip to Montana we were there 10 days.  Never saw the sun, and it never snowed.  I love Montana, some of the best people in the country, but if you can pick anywhere to ski bum for a year, IMO there are better options for snow and weather.

Anyone can hit a 10 day period anywhere and not see sun, so that means exactly nothing.  Before I moved here, I came for a 10 day visit and had nothing but sun and wondered where all this fog was that people were talking about.  We do have, up in the northwest corner of the state, very short days (January 9 hours 45 minutes or so of daylight) in the winter, due to our position in the time zone and the latitude.  There is also a major difference in weather between Whitefish and Big Sky, so please don't say "Montana" and suppose that it applies to the whole state, it doesn't.  Big Sky is FAR sunnier than Whitefish.  The day's slightly longer down in Bozeman, the sun rising earlier down there.  It's also the other side of the Divide.  And, it's higher.  And it's six hours south of here.  So, it's a bit much to assume that you can include them together as a group other than to say that "ski areas in Montana aren't crowded." 

 

Personally, I don't really want a lot of sun, it ruins the snow and ATTRACTS CROWDS.  Gray skies preserve snow quality longer.  My reaction to sun is, "Yeah, it's beautiful, but it's RUINING THE SNOW!"

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUNSKI View Post

 

Thanks for the input. I've considered Big Sky, but I also like the sun. I'm in Boston now and it can't be much worse than our snow for one hour, rain for six, sleet, snow, rain, sleet, snow, rain, rain, snow for an hour, then its 65 and sunny for 25 minutes, a thunderstorm and below zero by bedtime...when it freezes overnight it's like concrete the next morning....yes this is how it is in New England. Getting board of 4 hour drives to go 75 miles in traffic just to ski on snow that belongs in an ice hockey goalie crease...I've looked at PC but I'm still not sure what kind of vibe I want...I'm going solo on this one so I need a place it will be easy to find a crowd to hang with. I have job apps into Big Sky, Grand Targhee, Telluride, Vail, Aspen, Breck, Snowbird, Park City, Deer and Solitude with a few call backs. I want to work at a resort for the free pass. So many decisions..

Well, you won't find ice rink skiing anywhere out west. 
 

post #44 of 50

I worked at an area in Montana when that gave you free skiing at every area in the State.  Missoula and Whitefish have fog and consistently flat light.  Bozeman and Big Sky have more sun, but are much colder. West Yellowstone, right outside of Big Sky, is consistantly one of the coldest places in the Country.  I skied 75 or more days a season in Montana for 5 years, so I am not basing my comments on a 10-day trip.  Big Sky markets to the Minnesota, Wisconsin, and the Northeast, where they don't expect snow and sun at the same time.  Whitefish consistently has fog like nothing I have seen at another ski in the last 25 years, except in Canada.  My last day there you literally could not see the chair in front of you, and they were not that far apart.

 

Montana has some very fine skiing, but if I had to bet on good condtions on any particular day of the winter, that is not where I would put my money.  I agree, you can generalize and say that the ski areas in Montana are not crowded, and there is a good reason for that.  I love Montana, but there are several other states with consistently better snow and weather.

post #45 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudfoot View Post

  Whitefish consistently has fog like nothing I have seen at another ski in the last 25 years, except in Canada.  My last day there you literally could not see the chair in front of you, and they were not that far apart.

 

No argument there on many days at certain times of the year.  We talk about one chair or two chair visibility as sort of a yardstick of conditions.  But speaking as someone who is regularly in the top 100 skiers (vert list) for the mountain, days that there is less than ONE chair viz are..truly...like once a year.  Two chair viz?  I'd say THAT was normal.  Anything less is exaggeration.  And since the best skiing is our tree skiing it really doesn't bother us except in El Nino years when we are looking for snow.  In more normal years when there is plenty of snow, fog in the trees is meaningless.  If this guy is going to be ski bumming, he'll be in the trees or in the back or side country, not on the groomers with the tourists. 

post #46 of 50



Quote:

Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

We talk about one chair or two chair visibility as sort of a yardstick of conditions.  

 

Two chair viz?  'd say THAT was normal.

 

And since the best skiing is our tree skiing it really doesn't bother us ....  

 

fog in the trees is meaningless.

 

Sibhusky: 

 

You have obviously been in Montana for quite a while, because I do not think you comprehend what your statements sound like to someone who skis Utah, Colorado and New Mexico.  I skied Montana for years and loved it, but in retrospect it was very often a muted experience compared to the skiing I have been doing the last 25 years south of Montana.  Skiing the ghost trees in the fog is an incredible adventure, but IMO when that becomes "normal" you have started to lose perspective.

 

I encourage everyone to ski Montana and British Columbia, you will undoutedly enjoy it (I do), but take your yellow googles.
 

post #47 of 50


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUNSKI View Post

 

I want to work at a resort for the free pass. So many decisions..


IMHO: Passes aren't worth that much and they lock you into a job.  Sure there are some great jobs at resorts.  But newb's usually don't get them, especially via resume.  Pack your car and go feel the vibe!

post #48 of 50

WOW for ski bums you guys definitely dont muster up. 

 

First off to answer your question about Telluride that apparently no one else cares to you don't want to be a ski bum in Tride. 

 

1)lift ticket is close to $1800

2) The town is 7 blocks long and has a 5mph speed limit with signs posted every 5 feet about how its illegal to sleep in your car

3)Rentals range from $1800-$7500 a MONTH

4)gallon of milk is $5

 

Its extremely expensive to live in Tride

 

BUT because of this its also very easy to find room mates and very easy to find a job working at the mountain or at one of the local shops/bars/stores.  If you work for the mountain you can stay mid mountain at Billy's apts for fairly cheap. 

 

For those of you that keep promoting Tahoe I know why you are, & lets be honest its not the greatest snow conditions but its not the worst either.

Tahoe has to be right up there for best skibum town in the world!!!

 

WHY????

 

Its a full service town, with 10 ski resorts to choose from, 4 casinos, 3 hours away from a major town, employment is easy to find, and a 2 bedroom apt will only run you $600. 

 

But the main reason==== a locals ski pass only costs $350 to have access to 5 resorts!!!!!!!!!!

 

The bad about Tahoe....

 

Live on the Norhtside of the lake you live in Nevada and Nevada police dont put up with anything. Plus cost of living and rent go way up. 

Live on the Southside of the lake police could honestly care less what your doing, but the place is filled with lazy, shady, burnouts.  Everyone grows weed as a 2nd income & everyone is high.  Thus the place is a shit hole atleast in the summer the snow hides the dinge of the place. 

 

Jackson Hole not sure who through this out there, but its an all right place to skibum it up.  Its kind of a tradition here, but the ski pass is up there and the cost of housing is no where near cheap.  However, there are plenty of places that will let you live out of your vehicle, every wednesday the church gives out free food, plenty of dollar stores, the town puts on christmas and thanksgiving dinner for those in need & your located right next to Yellowstone & Teton.  Plus Grand Targhee ski resort is just over the pass, and theres a small ski hill hill right in town for night skiing.  The nightlife is busy & you can even play poker at the local tavern on the weekends.  Lots and lots and lots of backcountry.  The resort itself doesnt provide access to most of the good terrain many days due to wind, and no one in this town is anything other than a ski bum so when it snows everyone takes to the mountain.  Powder doesnt last long in bounds or outta bounds.  Lot of good skiers/riders, lot of skilled and die hard powder hounds.  Good terrain, good snow, good location, high season pass, high cost of living, limited window to ride good snow.

 

Steamboat.......

 

cheap living.   You can live at the ponds for $200/month.  Free bus, Full service town.  Easy to get a job at the mtn job fair in October.  Gear Sale every spring and fall.  World class snow, Church provides free thanksgiving and christmas dinner.  Safeway gives away free bakery items every Monday.  Season pass very expensive.  Plenty of activities in and out of town after the slopes close, Free bowling on Tuesdays, join a hockey league, etc.  World Champions, Olympic athletes train here.  The only knock on this mountain is instead of it being a big bad & gnarly its slow rollers with amazing tree runs. 

 

Park City.......

 

Well it may be expensive, but it also has a FREE transportation, full service town, and multiple ski resorts to choose from.  Employment is VERY easy to find on or off the hill.  Ski pass is getting up there, but if you buy early the locals pass aint too bad.  Sundance Film Festival hosts there every year, great snow conditions, and great ski bum community.  Lots of restaurants lots of deals for those that are looking. 

 

Big Sky.....

You better like remote living cuz there isnt anything else there but the resort.  Now it is also one of the largest ski resorts in North America with what I am assuming the largest bowl as well.  however the bowl is rarely open due to winds, and I was stopped by ski patrol multiple times when trying to hike up on my own.  Cost of living cheap, but good luck finding a place.  Food, cheap.  Restaurants cheap and good size protions.  Nightlife think dive bars with fall drown drunks unless your on the mountain than its all tourists and $10 beers.  Was only there two times both times different times of the year.  Wasnt a fan of terrain or snow.  Lived in Montana and the people are amazing.  Very generous very kind, & genuinely concerned for your well being.  Very very nice and accomodating place. 

 

Which if you want to give Montana a try check out Whitefish, MT.  Full service town, cheap living very close to Ferny in Canada which was in this years Warren Miller & Banff Move Festival Films.  So 3 ski resorts for the price of $275 for a season pass, police are non existant, and next to Glacier National park, and RV living is a right of passage.  Drawback hard to find good job. 

 

Idaho .......Are you kidding me SUNVALLEY home of the godfather of skiing why wouldnt you call this home.  Not much else to say about this one other than no snowboards allowed. 

 

Anotheer well kept secret mountain to call home as a ski bum would be Crystal Mountain, WA.  An hour south of Seattle, great terrain, good snow, no lift lines, pass is reasonable, you can live down in Greenwater(20 minutes away---and a town formed for and around ski bums) rent a small cabin, live above the bar, live above the snowboard shop, or park an RV.  Casino about 35 minutes away, Very close knit group of employees and individuals make up this small skiing community.  Very genuine place. 

 

With all that being said I took a road trip a couple years ago that took me to 32 different ski resorts in one year, and although you may be sick of the i-70 corridor and colorado lifestyle  I tell you what there isnt much that can compete with it.  Every place we stopped we got lucky enough to have a full blown powder day except Big Sky, and I fell in Love with Kirkwood, Whitefish, Crystal & Steamboat.  Not just because of the snow but because of the town, the people, price, ammenitities, potential, location, & overall experience. 

 

Hoep that helps

post #49 of 50
You realize you just "mustered up" for a two year old thread, right?
post #50 of 50
I live in Whitefish and want to know how to get a $275 season pass.... I always buy early and they want $580 from me....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion