or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › Tahoe TR: January 18-20
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tahoe TR: January 18-20

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
So for my birthday, the wife and I decide on a short ski vacation. Drive to Kirkwood, ski and then head to South Lake Tahoe for two nights. Ski Heavenly on day two and then Kirkwood on the way home. Nice plan.

Jan 18 was a day of severe weather. Heavy rain below 5000 feet and heavy snow and strong wind higher up. Knowing what Kirkwood is like with half the mountain on wind hold we decide, go directly to SLT via Hwy 50 and skip day one of skiing. The drive was a bit stressful. The snow tires didn’t like the heavy rain and hydroplaning was an issue above 60mph. Once we hit the snow, things went fine until the Tahoe Basin. Semi-whiteout conditions were encountered and it was getting dark. What really made things fun was all of the Hwy and street signs were covered with wind blown snow. Good thing I am somewhat familiar with the lay of the area. Found our motel by brail. Had a brandy in our room and walked to a nearby restaurant.

Day Two. Not Snowing in town, but really windy. Heavenly was not running its lifts. Road is closed to Kirkwood. So we head to Homewood only to find the road closed, despite assurances from the Homewood staff and the State Highway 800 number that Hwy 89 was open. So we decided to skip skiing and went back to our room, changed and went for a drive on the east side of the lake. Had lunch in Tahoe City, did some shopping. Got a pair of goggles and warm ski gloves. For dinner we had some of the best Sushi in CA at Sato in SLT.

Day Three. Called the snow phone at Kirkwood. I appreciated their honesty. They said the conditions were going to be the “most challenging” thus far with strong winds. Heavenly was closed so we decided to head home before the brunt of the storm hit. The drive home was interesting in that we came out of the snow at 5000 on Hwy 50 feet as we headed to Placerville. Then the temp dropped and it started to snow real hard at 3500 feet. The brunt of the storm was hit.

All in all not a bad get away.  
post #2 of 6
 I like how you made the best of a weekend with unplanned obstacles
Happy Birthday!
post #3 of 6
Too bad your trip didn't pan out... I'm headed to Kirkwood in a few days... 7 FEET of snow so far from these storms! The lifts better be open!
post #4 of 6
Ouch, that isn't great to hear. But Heavenly closed it's entire mountain? Wow
post #5 of 6
Thread Starter 
Check the NOAA website. More stuff coming in, but should be good by next Wednesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by mengel View Post

Too bad your trip didn't pan out... I'm headed to Kirkwood in a few days... 7 FEET of snow so far from these storms! The lifts better be open!
 
post #6 of 6
If you made it to Tahoe City, then there was skiing to be had either at Northstar or Homewood.  Both are generally operating when many others are shut down due to wind.  Both have some good tree skiing.  So close.....yet so far.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Trip Reports
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › Tahoe TR: January 18-20