or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › A custom for Powder Ettiquette (that shouldn't rub anyone's nose in the snow) A Poll
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A custom for Powder Ettiquette (that shouldn't rub anyone's nose in the snow) A Poll

Poll Results: Are you compelled? Are you inhibited by custom and perceptions of appropriate behavior? Do you prefer to keep rolling?

Poll expired: Jan 23, 2010 This is a multiple choice poll
  • 6% of voters (2)
    I stop and ask him what he is waiting for and ask if it's cool to ski by, because he was there first.
  • 43% of voters (13)
    I stop in case there is some problem. After looking, and determining there is no problem for me, I ski by, regardless of what he might be waiting for.
  • 50% of voters (15)
    I ski right by because I like to just keep skiing. Stopping's a drag. If there's a problem of some sort, I'll deal.
30 Total Votes  
post #1 of 62
Thread Starter 
Powder Ettiquette=oxymoron?

We've all been there.
You're stopped at the top of a line waiting for something, and that's where the point of Powder Ettiquette arises: what are you waiting for?

And under what circumstances do you expect not to be passed, while you are waiting for whatever it is you're waiting for. Is there a skier in a chute that cannot be safely skied above or passed? Are you waiting for visibility to improve when a gust of blown snow abates? Waiting for a buddy?  Are you waiting for courage?
 
We've been here too.
You're skiing up to a person that is waiting for something. Should you ski by and drop into the chute or tree line? It looks perfect to you. Do you stop and ask what's up?  And if you stop, how long are you obliged to wait for him to do whatever it is he needs to do? And do you need to know what he is waiting for to make that decision?

Do you even feel compelled to do the right thing?  Why? Do you say dropping as you ski by?
 
Me, I like to ski into things without stopping, so stopping behind someone is somewhat annoying. I'd really rather just keep skiing.
post #2 of 62
Eh, this happened to me a couple weeks ago at Blackcomb glacier.  I had traversed to a beautiful stash of powder, was chatting with my husband, dawdling for whatever reason...

...and this snowboarder buzzes in and poaches my line.

I laughed.  Because I don't "own" the powder, and I lost an untouched line because I hesitated.  Moral - if you see powder, go get it.
post #3 of 62
Thread Starter 
better to be the powderer than the powdered.

today I was just about to go around someone into a choice line and saw that it was a friend. I slammed on the brakes and smiled: how's it goin'.... as if I had always intended to wait for the wind to stop also.
post #4 of 62
Haha, I'd say it depends on a few factors. Such as if you possibly know the person, if you can determine how well they ski, and how much skiing you actually want to get done. If you're just there to have a bit of fun and relax, then I'd say stop and ask what's up, if anything hey you meet someone new and interesting. If you're there to tear it up and push yourself, then I'd probably at least say "dropping".
post #5 of 62
I'd stop and scope it out just in case the other guy knows something I don't. Obviously, if I find something I didn't see earlier (another skier below or something similar), then I'd wait.

If the other dude's "just waiting for it to come around on the guitar" as Arlo Guthrie would say, then I'd point to my line and ask if he minds me jumping in (just giving him the hint to get on with it).
post #6 of 62
Three rules come to mind. 

One is the first rule of skiing powder:

  • 1. Don't be last.

The other two are from the skier's code

  • 3. You should not stop where you obstruct a trail or are not visible from above.
  • 4. When entering a trail or starting a descent yield to other skiers.

Anythinge else?
post #7 of 62
Sorry, too many other variables to really give an answer.  My real answer would be "it depends on other circumstances".  Such as, is he at the top of a narrow chute, in which case, I might stop to scope it out too just to make sure someone isn't in the chute already.  Does he appear to be in distress?  ex: sitting in the snow and not a snowboarder that might lead me to think he is in need of assistance?  The real question I think is being asked is do you stop and let him get the first tracks because he was there first and "powder ettiquette" says he should be the first one down?  To me the answer to that is no.  IMO, poaching somebody's line is when you pass them, then deliberately move directly in front of them and ski their line down the hill.  And that is somewhat nebulous as well.  If someone passes me and immediately cuts back in front of me, like within a few feet or even a few yards, I'd be pissed (even if it wasn't a powder day).  But, spread the distance out a bit, and I don't have a problem with it.  It's not like I "own" some imaginary line down the entire run just because I'm the first one down.
post #8 of 62
The rules of Chinese Downhill...there are no rules.
post #9 of 62
Quote:
The rules of Chinese Downhill...there are no rules.

...what he said!
post #10 of 62
Powder?

You snooze, you lose
No friends on a powder day
etc.

Standing there gaping at freshies? AMF
post #11 of 62
I am a notorious poacher.  I often can be heard making the "yoink" sound (ibid Homer Simpson) when I am blowing by snowboarders who are putting their gear on after a hike. 
post #12 of 62
 As much as I'd say no friends on a powder day, I tend to be somewhat courteous.  However, Squatty spanked us hard when we ripped through a beautiful powder field at Big sky and messed it up for those who followed.
There is such a thing as powder etiquette after all, and Squatty showed us the way.
post #13 of 62
If you can see it you can ski it. 

Would slow down by our silly friend to make sure all is well.  If skierX wants to enjoy the view why ruin his experience?

Our friend may need a blow or phone call or drink or who know, just so long as there is no one down stream and all is well, GREEN LIGHT.
post #14 of 62
Every time I see somebody stopped I always ask if everything is okay.  You should see how long it takes me to talk to every boarder strapping in after getting off of a lift.  It's amazing I get any skiing done.  I never get to ski any powder without tracks because of this, but hey, Jer told me I had to do it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrophobia View Post

Eh, this happened to me a couple weeks ago at Blackcomb glacier.  I had traversed to a beautiful stash of powder, was chatting with my husband, dawdling for whatever reason...

...and this snowboarder buzzes in and poaches my line.

I laughed.  Because I don't "own" the powder, and I lost an untouched line because I hesitated.  Moral - if you see powder, go get it.
 

exactly.



Quote:
Originally Posted by davluri View Post

better to be the powderer than the powdered.

today I was just about to go around someone into a choice line and saw that it was a friend. I slammed on the brakes and smiled: how's it goin'.... as if I had always intended to wait for the wind to stop also.

It was Jer, right?  And you didn't want to be pummeled by some baby claiming it was their snow?  Thought so.
post #15 of 62
Goo-Roo - your obsession with me is really getting to the creepy stage. Howsabout you try posting something without mentioning me multiple times?

True story:

(I think about two or three years ago) I was on the high backside traverse at Alta (some calls it Rustler Ridge) and I noticed that everybody before me was going through High Notch to points beyond and nobody had hit Yellow Trail yet. Except for these three guys who were setting up to shoot some footage - one guy was way over on the edge about 300 feet down with a tripod and all that crap and his two bros were at the top waiting for the high sign. So I snaked their freaking line. Because I'm a bastard.

You're either skiing or you're filming. And if your filming I drink your milkshake. I DRINK IT UP!!!!








...plus I payed a lot of $$ for that lift ticket.
post #16 of 62
Did you stop later to give the bro's your email so they could send ya the pics??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post

Goo-Roo - your obsession with me is really getting to the creepy stage. Howsabout you try posting something without mentioning me multiple times?

True story:

(I think about two or three years ago) I was on the high backside traverse at Alta (some calls it Rustler Ridge) and I noticed that everybody before me was going through High Notch to points beyond and nobody had hit Yellow Trail yet. Except for these three guys who were setting up to shoot some footage - one guy was way over on the edge about 300 feet down with a tripod and all that crap and his two bros were at the top waiting for the high sign. So I snaked their freaking line. Because I'm a bastard.

You're either skiing or you're filming. And if your filming I drink your milkshake. I DRINK IT UP!!!!








...plus I payed a lot of $$ for that lift ticket.
post #17 of 62
"Survival of the fittest".  "First come first serve".

Of course If someone appears to be in distress, I will feel obligated to make sure they are okay.

If it is a narrow 1 at a time chute, I will wait my turn.

If I have broken trail through deep snow to get to the goods, I believe that it would be common courtesy for the trailbreaker to go first.

For the most part I will just keep going, come hell or highwater.

JF
post #18 of 62
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post

Sorry, too many other variables to really give an answer.  My real answer would be "it depends on other circumstances".  Such as, is he at the top of a narrow chute, in which case, I might stop to scope it out too just to make sure someone isn't in the chute already.  Does he appear to be in distress?  ex: sitting in the snow and not a snowboarder that might lead me to think he is in need of assistance?  The real question I think is being asked is do you stop and let him get the first tracks because he was there first and "powder ettiquette" says he should be the first one down?  To me the answer to that is no.  IMO, poaching somebody's line is when you pass them, then deliberately move directly in front of them and ski their line down the hill.  And that is somewhat nebulous as well.  If someone passes me and immediately cuts back in front of me, like within a few feet or even a few yards, I'd be pissed (even if it wasn't a powder day).  But, spread the distance out a bit, and I don't have a problem with it.  It's not like I "own" some imaginary line down the entire run just because I'm the first one down.

This comes up now in a new way. The big powder skis (120mm^) can go faster in a big open powder face and blow by you and zag over nascar-like into your line. Someone did that once and I figured it was an inadvertant. knowing it practically has a recognized name makes me think the bastard did it on purpose, like with a smirk on his face.

glad to hear that has a bad name attached to it, and that it might bother someone else, as I think it's greedy and selfish, like drivers that go around the off on ramp to gain a few spaces in the lane,  kind of in your face. maybe later they laugh about hosing someone or whatever it might be called.
post #19 of 62
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post

snip.......
True story:

(I think about two or three years ago) I was on the high backside traverse at Alta (some calls it Rustler Ridge) and I noticed that everybody before me was going through High Notch to points beyond and nobody had hit Yellow Trail yet. Except for these three guys who were setting up to shoot some footage - one guy was way over on the edge about 300 feet down with a tripod and all that crap and his two bros were at the top waiting for the high sign. So I snaked their freaking line. Because I'm a bastard.

You're either skiing or you're filming. And if your filming I drink your milkshake. I DRINK IT UP!!!!








...plus I payed a lot of $$ for that lift ticket.


no way. like they wanted this untouched field of powder look and you put the first track across it before they could shoot. that would be hilarious. at Squaw, those guys get early ups, perks of being a ski film star.
post #20 of 62
Thread Starter 
The magnitude of the line being pondered could be a factor. normal resort: 400 vertical, 35 degrees. Or he could be staring down a 2,000' coloir of 45 degrees. 
post #21 of 62
Whats the big deal, I can ski untouched powder at 1:30 after a hot lunch and a Moosedrool.  Don't worry about any crowds, there aren't any.   Exception Teledance that is but on the side of Wardner there's plenty of room.
post #22 of 62
Thread Starter 
yeah, but Jane Fonda's wolves are out there to thin the skier herds. They separate the lone skier and run him down.


Or is that Wyoming? wolves and bears, not so many skiers.
post #23 of 62
If you are worried about the wolves on powder days, carry a whistle.
post #24 of 62
Thread Starter 
do they really come when whistled?
you know, the technique of carrying some dog treats in your pocket to be the first found might not work in Idaho
post #25 of 62
If they look distressed I'll stop and ask if they need help. If they're catching their breath, making a call, taking a picture, hoping to get over a sudden case of brain freeze, or otherwise being a pedestrian rather then a skier, I'll ski on by with my normal level of caution for the slope/conditions involved.

If I am stopped on a slope, whatever the conditions are, I expect others to avoid running into me. I do not expect others to arrange their run around my need to stop and figure things out.

I hate it when people stop at the top of a pitch clogging up a run. It's always easier to transition from flat to steep with momentum and rhythm, doubly so when powder is involved.        
post #26 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by davluri View Post

yeah, but Jane Fonda's wolves are out there to thin the skier herds. They separate the lone skier and run him down.


Or is that Wyoming? wolves and bears, not so many skiers.

 


That Commie Fonda better not show her head up here!  We'll have her skiing Schweitzer in the fog and she'll get lost somewhere.
post #27 of 62
 I've snaked many a line thanks to posers and had one snaked right out from under me as I wiped the goggles clean before the drop this week, it's just part of the game. 
I even stole WM film crews Pow one day at Alta, but as was mentioned earlier, I paid $$ for the privilege, they were skiing for free.  

Now if someone is lying in the snow and not moving yes I will stop and check on them, standing around no.
post #28 of 62
Snake or be snaked no big deal. I don't own it and neither do you.
post #29 of 62
When I snake someones line I hoot to let them know how much I appreciate their dawdling.
post #30 of 62
 In a way thats kindda nice HAHAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfydog View Post

When I snake someones line I hoot to let them know how much I appreciate their dawdling.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › A custom for Powder Ettiquette (that shouldn't rub anyone's nose in the snow) A Poll