EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Member Gear Reviews › Dalbello "Scorpion" the new race boot on the block!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dalbello "Scorpion" the new race boot on the block! - Page 4

post #91 of 107

So the 293mm shell Head Raptor got me thinking.  I remembered that I had a pair of new Flexons stored away for one of my kids (picked them up super cheap a couple years ago).  What size were those things - holey moley they're a 293mm BSL.  Hmmm, if I can get into a 293mm Head, why can't I get into a 293mm Flexon?  To my astonishment I managed to make the 293mm Flexon work.  Grabbed a pair of my older packed out Thermo liners (size 26.0) and they fit perfectly in the shells.  There's a huge difference between the 301mm and 293mm Flexon shells.  The 293mm shell is much smaller in all dimensions whereas the difference between the 310mm and the 301mm is mostly in just the length.  In fact the 293mm shells use small size tongues so my Flexon tongue collection (all mediums) goes to eBay now.  I also have 6 sets of Flexon 301mm shells that will all most likely hit eBay as soon as the season for ski boot purchasing starts peaking over there.  Now that I know I can get into the smaller shell there's no going back to the 301mm for me.

 

So the plan now is to compare the Flexons (293mm) directly to the Heads (293mm) on Sunday and make a final decision about leaving the 3-piece design behind (or at least for this season ).

 

Bud - too bad you don't have a 25.5 Scorpion at the moment.  If I decide to back out on the Raptor purchase I'll definitely talk to you about the Scorpions again.

post #92 of 107
Thread Starter 

HI Finndog,

 

Well the liner you tried last season was not the finalized liner, so the new one is even better!

 

The SR130 and 150's are reported to come with 3 different zeppas in the box with various ramp angles.  My boots so far have arrived without 2 of them but the rep assures me they will come soon!  So to answer your question, the ramp angles can vary depending on which zeppa you choose.  I have not measured and compared yet with the same measuring methodology however, they feel very similar to the Dobies and a bit more upright than the Tecnica Inferno (even though Tecnica rep claims their fwd lean is the same as the Dobies).  

post #93 of 107

Bud,

 

Have you seen the Scorpion SR 70J? Not stocking it? I'm expecting my boy to outgrow his boots at some point this season (Comp Team 80s, size 3.5 kids/women, 266mm) - we went with the 80 because the 70 was sold out, because he could flex it in the shop and because a source I trust lists the "real" flex as about 65. If the Scorpion 70 is as well built as the other Scorpions everyone's fawning over, and the "real" flex is right then that boot could definitely be worth investigating. Don't see him in a 90 just yet.

 

Dalbello Scorpion SR 70J

... and as the father of one of his team mates is the Dalbello agent for Norway I might just be able to get a sweet price wink.gif


Edited by Squawker - 10/6/10 at 1:41pm
post #94 of 107


interesting Bud given that Ski mag recently rate the scorp had a moderate forward lean to them. Seems like they may not have had all the zepp's?  calling Jim for comments..

 

bud, any pics of the new liners...

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud heishman View Post

HI Finndog,

 

Well the liner you tried last season was not the finalized liner, so the new one is even better!

 

The SR130 and 150's are reported to come with 3 different zeppas in the box with various ramp angles.  My boots so far have arrived without 2 of them but the rep assures me they will come soon!  So to answer your question, the ramp angles can vary depending on which zeppa you choose.  I have not measured and compared yet with the same measuring methodology however, they feel very similar to the Dobies and a bit more upright than the Tecnica Inferno (even though Tecnica rep claims their fwd lean is the same as the Dobies).  

post #95 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post


interesting Bud given that Ski mag recently rate the scorp had a moderate forward lean to them. Seems like they may not have had all the zepp's?  calling Jim for comments..

 

bud, any pics of the new liners...

 

Hmmm, don't bootboards ("zepps") only modify ramp angle?  Forward lean is handled by the fore/aft angle of the boot shaft/collar.  So Ski may be correct, but to me the pics sure look like that's a fairly upright boot.
 

post #96 of 107


yup, you are correct, my bad....  
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodler View Post

 

Hmmm, don't bootboards ("zepps") only modify ramp angle?  Forward lean is handled by the fore/aft angle of the boot shaft/collar.  So Ski may be correct, but to me the pics sure look like that's a fairly upright boot.
 

post #97 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

Bud, whats the ramp and lean on these? Looks like the 2 other boots that are competing in this niche are the Lange RS & Technica Inferno. care to compare and contrast? I did get a chance to put my foot in the Scorpion last season and I agree the fit right out of the box was really great.



Allow me to help complete your list.

 

Atomic CS

Head Raptor

Nordica HR and Dobermanns

Salomon X3

Fischer Pro

 

Now...................please continue your internet bootfitting.

 

SJ

post #98 of 107

magazine tests were done with the white boot board. boots shipped to masterfit for display and try-on have white in the boot, and yellow in the box.

 

jim

post #99 of 107



I promise to never ask any other boot related questions.   Ever......

 

I listed those 2 other as they seem to be the most discussed and most closely related. Not having access to boots to actually look within 50 miles or so, I mistakenly thought it would be OK to discuss here, Sorry I didn't realize this was a bad thing. No worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post





Allow me to help complete your list.

 

Atomic CS

Head Raptor

Nordica HR and Dobermanns

Salomon X3

Fischer Pro

 

Now...................please continue your internet bootfitting.

 

SJ

post #100 of 107


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post



I promise to never ask any other boot related questions.   Ever......

 

I listed those 2 other as they seem to be the most discussed and most closely related. Not having access to boots to actually look within 50 miles or so, I mistakenly thought it would be OK to discuss here, Sorry I didn't realize this was a bad thing. No worries.


 


No reason to quit asking unless you want to......just making sure that all the options available to you are on the table.

 

SJ

post #101 of 107

Jim, your comment that followed your quote was not exactly so cool.... trying to get some sound advice from those suppossedly in the know is helpful to those of us who are not blessed with access to ski shops that carry anything more than recreational boots with salestaff who know very little.  No one on this trhead is attempting conduct "online boot fitting" just gather information; some are looking for boots, some are just engaged in conversation because we like gear. Its not brain surgery, no harm was being done here.

post #102 of 107

Not exactly so cool?? Geez, you seem a little defensive about what?....17 posts about a boot that has not yet hit the market with a finished liner or at best not shipped as a finished product until a few weeks ago? You seem a trifle obsessed with something that has ZERO track record vs. the best, most proven boots in the world in this category.

 

So.....Of course you were not engaging in internet bootfitting.......silly me.....everybody knows how stupid that is.

 

Sorry that offended, please allow me to rephrase..........................Please continue your internet pursuit of ski boot minutiae.

 

SJ

post #103 of 107

thanks for your thoughtful and helpful response.

post #104 of 107

I will have my 25.5 SR 130's in a few days. Although I wont be able to comment on on-snow performance (living in Australia!), I can do a multi step pseudo-review if anyone is interested?

post #105 of 107

Sierra Jim you make a very logical point regarding validated boot models opposed to a new entry. But wouldn't you say being in the equipment business , that  sales occurs when a new product enters the market and their is interest in it?  Not knowing any better, maybe the new boot gets somebody to come into the shop try it on , maybe it doesn't fit so well and they end up saying what the heck, let me try on the Atomic or Nordica and end up buying a boot.

 

But the whole thing may have started because of some pull a new product generated.  On the other hand , a new entry into a market also has to be a risk for the shop owner because if you bring them in and they don't sell , you spent a lot of money and didn't make any.

 

Maybe this risk outweighs the reward. Can't be easy running a shop and the old adage being 100% 50% of the time can cost you alot of money. My wife owns a retail clothing store (kids) and I hear it all the time. Vendors want to ship you well before the season and want paid before you can sell the stuff.  When you buy it and it doesn't sell and you mark it down to cost or worse , you lose the vendor isn't helping you out.

 

Half the fun on the forum is BSing about new gear and the buzz it creates.

post #106 of 107

Just put on my new SR 130's - very snug fit, with no noticeable pressure points. Didn't come with anything apart from a little booklet and key though...

 

Taking some pics now - aiming to get them professionally fitted/aligned this Saturday.

 

post #107 of 107

Just read that Intuition is developing or has already developed a liner for the Scorpion.  That's great news for this new boot.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Gear Reviews
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Member Gear Reviews › Dalbello "Scorpion" the new race boot on the block!