EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Ski Instruction & Coaching › Carving on scraped off steep
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Carving on scraped off steep

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

I was in camelback, pa last week. Being the holiday week I was skiing with everybody and their Uncle Bob. Needless to say that by 11 in the morning the few diamonds that were still open had been scraped bare.
 

I was trying to make the turns as fast as I could so as to maintain speed and still stay in control but it wasn't working. I kept skidding and slowing down. At some point I thought I needed to edge more at others I thought I was too light (150 lbs.). Whatever it was, wasn't fun. I saw some Telmark skiers making nice sweeping turns, however! I had a fleeting thought about getting a kneeling kit in future, but quickly dismissed the idea.
 

The only way I found I could come down the hill elegantly was to do big turns at high speed. Which other than being dangerous with all the people in my way, lasted a very short time for a place like camelback, pa. Especially compared to the time I spent at the lines!!!
 

So, any pointers to maximize the time of descent and ski elegantly at the same time would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

post #2 of 13
you should have headed over to the catskills instead. i was at windham over the weekend, and it snowed throughout the entire day. for the first time in my ski experiences, i experienced fresh snow. it was a pleasure and enjoyable :) wonder how its like out in the west.
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ki8um View Post

I was in camelback, pa last week. Being the holiday week I was skiing with everybody and their Uncle Bob. Needless to say that by 11 in the morning the few diamonds that were still open had been scraped bare.
 

I was trying to make the turns as fast as I could so as to maintain speed and still stay in control but it wasn't working. I kept skidding and slowing down. At some point I thought I needed to edge more at others I thought I was too light (150 lbs.). Whatever it was, wasn't fun. I saw some Telmark skiers making nice sweeping turns, however! I had a fleeting thought about getting a kneeling kit in future, but quickly dismissed the idea.
 

The only way I found I could come down the hill elegantly was to do big turns at high speed. Which other than being dangerous with all the people in my way, lasted a very short time for a place like camelback, pa. Especially compared to the time I spent at the lines!!!
 

So, any pointers to maximize the time of descent and ski elegantly at the same time would be helpful. Thanks in advance.


video would help alot.
post #4 of 13
Quote:
video would help alot. 
BWPA,

     Can't you give some advice as a level 3 without video?
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by prjb1 View Post


BWPA,

     Can't you give some advice as a level 3 without video?

on assumption yes but it can make me look dumb and wrong but what the hell people want miracles so..... BTW who are you?

cause for loss of edge grip

from most common to least common

dull edges 
doesnt move there hips with there skis
too much edging to fast 
banking turns
pivots then edges instead of edging then pivots
uses upper body rotation 

there are more but my guess is one or all of the above is true.


yada yada If I had video I bet at least one or all of the above would be present. one thing is for sure tele gear is not better than alpine gear on ice.
post #6 of 13
 Just someone who was there in the past.  I would just say if you are slowing down too much you are overturning.  Skid or no skid: overturning!  
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by prjb1 View Post

 Just someone who was there in the past.  I would just say if you are slowing down too much you are overturning.  Skid or no skid: overturning!  

most likely over turning his upper body and cant get back down the hill. Videos would be wya easier this than though ;).
post #8 of 13
The most widely prescribed remedy for your symptoms is to counter more so you can angulate more so you can tip the skis more.
post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
Sorry about not having a video. I was by myself. And if I did set up my camera, it would probably be gone by the time I came back around. I still have some takeaways. I definitely need to have my skis edged. Too much edge could certainly have been the issue. I was trying to dig in more. Too much edge isn't good on ice? Moving hips with skis and upper body rotation are probably not issues. I think I've got those down okay. What's pivoting, I've heard the term a lot but don't know what it means, also banking turns. What's over-turning? Thanks for all the answers.

PerpdartNY, Catskills would have been great. But I decided to go for seasons passes at Camelback for the entire family this year. Quantity over quality was the (il)logic here.

PS I'll be heading that way with my older 2 kids over the weekend. I'm looking forward to having one of them video tape me.
post #10 of 13
Great list Bushwacker.  

5ki8um - It's not that too much edge is bad, its that too much edge too fast is bad.  People tend to feel a need to really power into the ice when a subtle roll onto the edge initiated by the feet and ankles is what is needed. 

But do realize that when skiing like this you are likely to gain a lot of speed.  It is possible to get some pivoting in, but that will result in some skidding.  Even there, the key is to not react too much to the skidding - people tend to over-rotate in reaction to skidding which makes things worse.  It's okay to skid a bit on ice - just keep skiing.  A bit like driving in snow and ice really - you never want to do hard braking/turning/accelerating.

And definitely get those edges worked on as dull edges are no fun on ice!  Keeping with the car analogy - a bit like winter driving without snow tires.  Once you've tried them you'll realize just how much more control you have than you did with your all seasons. 

Elsbeth
post #11 of 13
We racers spend hours and hours every night tuning our top of the line racing department vertical sidewall sandwich skis. Edges are being sharpened with a myriad of tools and bases waxed a million times. Every night. Along comes mr averidge guy and wonders why his skis are skidding. Offcourse at some low level skis play a less important role but from what I read you want to carve on a very steep and icy pist. Calls for advanced racing gear and skills.
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post

pivots then edges instead of edging then pivots

I pick this one! The reason? His comment about too much people...

Hard to relax in a bowling alley...

0.02$
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by perpdartNY View Post

you should have headed over to the catskills instead. i was at windham over the weekend, and it snowed throughout the entire day. for the first time in my ski experiences, i experienced fresh snow. it was a pleasure and enjoyable :) wonder how its like out in the west.
 

Way better than in the Catskills!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Instruction & Coaching
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Ski Instruction & Coaching › Carving on scraped off steep