New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Steamboat 2010

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
Saw they got 33" this past week with a bit more on the way and was thinking about driving up from Summit to try and get some powder this week...anyone going to be around?
post #2 of 28

33" is the base. The storm dropped 5.5 and 11 inches. Whoever said 33" was off. I skied yesterday and the afternoon was very crowded. So I am going x-c on Sunday and wait until Tuesday to go skiing. BTW most of the freshies were skied off.

Rick H

post #3 of 28
NOPE  they recieved at least 33" in the past week, no doubt. Buff pass has been getting pounded. If you ski trees and off piste the conditions have been very good. I skied Christmas eve in over a foot (they reported 11 but that was under as usual, the trees were jsut opening and they were holding big time. My friend who lives there said it could use more but it's good, Pony is Morningside is open......... 
post #4 of 28
Yeah, Rocky Ridge, I mean Pioneer Ridge is open, but who wants to ski rocks? It won't be worth a damn until we have 5 feet. And the Longhorn is still scratchy, even with 6 feet. Not all of us ski the trees. Too many rocks this early. Westside was rock slalom this past Tuesday, so yesterday, I took Lower High Noon. It was early and I know where the rocks are (skier's left against the trees is usually rock free). No problem! As soon as the tourists have gone home and we get a foot of fresh, Steamboat will be good again. BTW the snow stakes that are used for measurement are in the trees. One is off the first cattrack below Tower and the other is across from Patrol HQ on the Summit. Check for yourself.

RH
post #5 of 28
Finndog,

I just checked my records, Tuesday, 12/29 was scratchy at best. A lot of bare spots in WallyWorld. rocks showing on Westside and other places where there is no snowmaking. Wednesday, we woke up to 5 1/2 inches of new snow. Thursday, 12/31, wakeup was 11 inches of freshies, Friday, 1/1/10 no new snow and no crowds before noon. Saturday was the same.

Your comment "NOPE" was off base. You should check your facts prior to posting. We did not have a 33 inch dump as you alledge. It was more like 16 1/2 inch dump, of which we needed.

Rick H (Steamboat local)
post #6 of 28

Uhh, Rick before you blast Finndog... steamboat.com/
 

By the way the base is 40", not 33".  I thought conditions were great this week considering the crappy December we had.  The 12/31 powder day was fantastic... super deep at the summit in fact (summit reported 15" and it skied even deeper in the toots).  You have to be smart about where you ski and look off the beaten path for the good stuff... but c'mon Lower High Noon?  Westside?  Wallyword? And during the holidays??  Of course those places will be crap, it's where all the crowds flock to, what did you expect?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick H View Post

Finndog,

I just checked my records, Tuesday, 12/29 was scratchy at best. A lot of bare spots in WallyWorld. rocks showing on Westside and other places where there is no snowmaking. Wednesday, we woke up to 5 1/2 inches of new snow. Thursday, 12/31, wakeup was 11 inches of freshies, Friday, 1/1/10 no new snow and no crowds before noon. Saturday was the same.

Your comment "NOPE" was off base. You should check your facts prior to posting. We did not have a 33 inch dump as you alledge. It was more like 16 1/2 inch dump, of which we needed.

Rick H (Steamboat local)
post #7 of 28
Thanks Tam, you are right, the wally world comment was all I needed to see. Just look at my pics for Dec 23rd - closts, shadows, twister, hurricane, Morningside, meadows/buddys payground/flying zee all pretty damn good- not the best- but pretty damn good.  Compared to other CO resorts, I think they just about ahead of the pack with the exception of Wolf.
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

Thanks Tam, you are right, the wally world comment was all I needed to see. Just look at my pics for Dec 23rd - closts, shadows, twister, hurricane, Morningside, meadows/buddys payground/flying zee all pretty damn good- not the best- but pretty damn good.  Compared to other CO resorts, I think they just about ahead of the pack with the exception of Wolf.
Dddddddamn Finn, everywhere I look you're dangling a carrot out in front of me to go to Steamboat!
post #9 of 28
uhhh, she said, dangling a carrot.... uhhh, uhhhh 


Go to the boat!  Be the boat......
post #10 of 28
post #11 of 28
While your at it, check this out from TGR- Obvioulsy, the boat has no snow and its all a big lie like Rick said.....


http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2684197&posted=1#post2684197
post #12 of 28
 Oh Finn, that carrot is soooooo enticing!!


The Boat is definitely on my radar!
post #13 of 28
I'll be there January 14-19 (and March 4-8) in case there's hook-up potential.
post #14 of 28
FEb 6-13....
post #15 of 28
I'll be there Feb. 24 - 28th.
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

While your at it, check this out from TGR- Obvioulsy, the boat has no snow and its all a big lie like Rick said.....


http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2684197&posted=1#post2684197

Yeah, most of those shots are from the canyon... it's good back there right now if you're smart with your route choice, but still need some more snow to fill some areas in, and stability is currently very sketchy.
post #17 of 28
Thanks for the update. the snow has a lot of settling to do for sure.
post #18 of 28
Well, I arrived today, and well, if they really did get 33 inches, it's sure did a quick disappearing act.

In the trees the snow was manky - wet or hard depending on where you were. The groomers had plenty of bare spots, rocks and brush, and apparently they can't groom all the bumps because they'll just drag up rocks according to one patroller, and no snow in the forecast for a week.

If I hadn't prepaid to be here, I'd be gone tomorrow, and I love this place. Certainly not looking forward to what this'll be like after the MLK gapersquad gets finished with it after this weekend.
post #19 of 28
If the conditions are that bad, how the hell does an accomplished skier fall into a tree well and suffocate to death?

Happened there last week.
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars View Post

If the conditions are that bad, how the hell does an accomplished skier fall into a tree well and suffocate to death?

Happened there last week.
It was 10 days ago off of Christmas tree bowl, and I was in the area around Twilight today (other side of the place and not as steep), and 10 days is an eternity when no new snow hits the ground. And how deep do you think the snow has to be to make a tree well?

Oh whatever - it's just GREAT here - you should come RIGHT AWAY! (is that better?)
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post



It was 10 days ago off of Christmas tree bowl, and I was in the area around Twilight today (other side of the place and not as steep), and 10 days is an eternity when no new snow hits the ground. And how deep do you think the snow has to be to make a tree well?

Oh whatever - it's just GREAT here - you should come RIGHT AWAY! (is that better?)

 

Hey you're there. Suck it up and make the best of it. So you just happened to hit it at a bad time. Quit whinning and make the best of it or make yourself misrable the rest of the trip.
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars View Post




Hey you're there. Suck it up and make the best of it. So you just happened to hit it at a bad time. Quit whinning and make the best of it or make yourself misrable the rest of the trip.

 
Thanks so much for your "advice" (what's whinning anyway?). Easy to make such statements when you have ZERO $ associated with something eh?

The good news is that it's better than SLC which I left from, the bad news is that it gets worse everyday with Twilight being OK two days ago, but it's now just a crusty bunch of bumps between the trees. The groomers are like being on the least coast - all nasty, scraped off, and icy. Poor conditions, MLK weekend and Texas gapers = trifecta of suk.

It's gotten so pathetic that two days ago they reported .25 inch (YES, .quarter of an inch) of fresh.

They need at least 2-3 feet to cover the branches, rocks and the manky snow, and allegedly this is the best in CO right now.

Oh well, I'll be at Whistler on Saturday.....
post #23 of 28
It looks as if you may start getting some snow starting tomorrow.  Let's hope so! 
post #24 of 28
Eh, I'm not hopeful... the first of this week's storms is supposed to be a southwestern storm (T'ride/durango/wolf creek/etc)... we're not really supposed to see much of anything in Northern CO until the weekend.... www.coloradopowderforecast.com
post #25 of 28

Snofun3 - I feel for you.  We all know the weather is a risk with skiing, but when mother nature isn't cooperating it sucks because it usually isn't a cheap vacation.  We were there over the New Year's break from 12/28-1/3 and we got a couple of really good snow days but I don't think there has been much since we left so I can imagine it's pretty brutal there right now.

Finndog has mentioned a couple of times that SB seems to underreport their snow totals (at least I think that is what he was saying) and I have to agree.  The picture below is around Sunshine Expres and is from the day they reported 11 inches (12/31).



And this shot from Morningside is my buddy on a reported 5 inch day (12/30) after his tips dove and he went over the handlebars.  Notice the stick poking out of the ground right next to him.  There were still lots of things poking out of the ground or just beneath the surface that you had to be on the lookout for.


Good luck with Whistler, based on all the reports it sounds like you will get the goods there.

post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illibuck View Post

Snofun3 - I feel for you.  We all know the weather is a risk with skiing, but when mother nature isn't cooperating it sucks because it usually isn't a cheap vacation.  We were there over the New Year's break from 12/28-1/3 and we got a couple of really good snow days but I don't think there has been much since we left so I can imagine it's pretty brutal there right now.

Finndog has mentioned a couple of times that SB seems to underreport their snow totals (at least I think that is what he was saying) and I have to agree.  The picture below is around Sunshine Expres and is from the day they reported 11 inches (12/31).



And this shot from Morningside is my buddy on a reported 5 inch day (12/30) after his tips dove and he went over the handlebars.  Notice the stick poking out of the ground right next to him.  There were still lots of things poking out of the ground or just beneath the surface that you had to be on the lookout for.


Good luck with Whistler, based on all the reports it sounds like you will get the goods there.


Nice pictures, and as mentioned before, I love this place, but right now it is so atypical of what I'm used to here, that it just doesn't seem like I'm at da Boat.

There were occasional flurries today, and my friends are staying until Sunday, so I'm doing a snow dance for them, but they are not happy campers right now, as the places we always head to (trees and chutes) are really not in good shape (bring the rock skis and sharpen the edges), and the groomers are downright nasty, bordering on unedgeable.

I was at Whistler in late November, right after the 13 feet, and was on Harmony just when it opened (good to have friends on patrol) and got serious freshies, so I know that sometimes you win and sometimes not, but this is really bad (but not as bad as SLC was).

Let's hope the second part of the season is all blower pow as I'm back again in early March. Always good to get a fix of da boat.
post #27 of 28
Well, it's 8:30am, and it's snowing pretty good in Steamboat. KEEP IT COMING!!!

(Of course, my flight leaves at 12:50 today, grrrrrrr)
post #28 of 28
9:30 the snow stopped and sun came out.

FYI - Hayden apt has turned into a complete cluster^%*&, with at least 20 minutes to clear security (traveling gapers are even worse than skiing ones), so make sure you give yourself a LOT of extra time.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home