EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Purchasing liftickets from Liftopia?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Purchasing liftickets from Liftopia? - Page 2  

post #31 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salar Tavangar View Post
 

we wake up 5 in the morning to get ready and go there .we get there after 3 hours drive and we find out that there is no snow to ski. 

 

You want to check a ski area's snow report before you plan a ski trip anywhere. Lesson learned for next time.

 

http://www.mtbaldyskilifts.com/#!weather/csx1

post #32 of 54

seriously ? wow I am surprised how they are selling their tickets and how liftopia is keep advertising them . When I arrived there I told the ticket guy the story and he told me that " oh you guys are out of luck there is a storm suppose to hit us tomorrow so hopefully we can be ready to have skiers" I told him " did you just hear your self ? do you think I'm stupid  , are you telling this story to every single customer here because the way I see this mountain is bone dry and will be like this for a long time and even lets assume your made up story is true , do you think one storm can make this place ready for ski " anyway I did not expect him to tell me why they are closed but at least he could say please call our office if you have any complaint; why giving people bunch of lies ! . I live in Beverly Hills took me 2 hours and 1:45 minutes to come back . I was more than fair to Liftopia since my original demand was to only issue me a refund and apologize and fix it so no other customer get scamed but Im sure I wasnt the first person to let them know that and that is how they scam people . funnier thing is that they didn't give me a refund and they told me you can use this ticket next time. God knows when that would be .

post #33 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salar Tavangar View Post
crap snipped.

 

Nobody cares about your whining.  Take it somewhere else.

post #34 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salar Tavangar View Post
 

seriously ? wow I am surprised how they are selling their tickets and how liftopia is keep advertising them . When I arrived there I told the ticket guy the story and he told me that " oh you guys are out of luck there is a storm suppose to hit us tomorrow so hopefully we can be ready to have skiers" I told him " did you just hear your self ? do you think I'm stupid  , are you telling this story to every single customer here because the way I see this mountain is bone dry and will be like this for a long time and even lets assume your made up story is true , do you think one storm can make this place ready for ski " anyway I did not expect him to tell me why they are closed but at least he could say please call our office if you have any complaint; why giving people bunch of lies ! . I live in Beverly Hills took me 2 hours and 1:45 minutes to come back . I was more than fair to Liftopia since my original demand was to only issue me a refund and apologize and fix it so no other customer get scamed but Im sure I wasnt the first person to let them know that and that is how they scam people . funnier thing is that they didn't give me a refund and they told me you can use this ticket next time. God knows when that would be .


Seriously?  yes.


I made a new years resolution to not be mean to people, but I can't help but break it.

 

All your whines about how much trouble it is to get there means you should have done MORE homework to figure out if the thing was open before driving 2 hours to get there.  The more trouble it takes to do something, the more you should research it.

 

So the answer to the question "Do I think you're stupid" I kinda want to say yes.  

 

Like on amazon or ebay, some people put up a small item, with ridiculous prices  Like a book with a regular price of $10, but with a $400 price tag.  Why do people buy it?  I don't know, it's an open market.

 

I don't understand "scammed".  You paid for a ticket you got it.  You're supposed to know what your buying.   

 

This isn't even a review site, I don't know what it is you expected as a response, but ridicule should be in there especially when you come in with hate.  (Hate begets hate).  

Why don't you write your tripadvisor or yelp or google reviews posts instead.

 

 

I'll leave you with this thread, you're kinda lumped in together with him in my book except you didn't commit to being a full whiner.  

If what you wanted was a refund, you needed to go full d-bag like this guy and throw a real life tantrum, instead of meekly going home to write posts on the internet.


So if you're going to be a whiner, go full whiner, commit to it.  There's no point holding onto your shreds of dignity, a whiner is a whiner.  So you might as lose all your dignity and at least get your refund out of it.

 

http://www.epicski.com/t/131376/guy-freaks-out-at-bridger-bowl-because-he-doesnt-have-a-transceiver-to-ski-schlasmans-lift


Edited by raytseng - 1/26/15 at 4:22pm
post #35 of 54

congratulation you just made $10 coupon from Liftopia . I am just amazed how you are bathing in your stupidity. how low key can you be to compare my case with " Like on amazon or ebay, some people put up a small item, with ridiculous prices  Like a book with a regular price of $10, but with a $400 price tag.  Why do people buy it?  I don't know, it's an open market. "  this case is like you buy a hotel room from priceline and on the check in date they tell you sorry we do not have available room for that date. it clearly doesn't worth my time to point out how unsophisticated your thinking is . other commenter said it hasn't snowed there for 2 years so they are selling bad tickets . I had a NON Changeable ticket or better to say NOT even a legit ticket. so anyway I hope I could help some people get to know liftopia better and liftopia managers can fix their customer service issues , meanwhile you get your $10 dollar coupon go to mt Baldy and enjoy tubing on the rocks ;)

post #36 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salar Tavangar View Post
 

 I hope I could help some people get to know liftopia better and liftopia managers can fix their customer service issues

 

If this is what you want to do, you're not doing that right either.   This isn't Liftopia customer service support.   That's why i'm railing on you for being a whiner.  If you really want to achieve those goals you'd be doing something else other than debating with me.

post #37 of 54

In a way I can see Salar's position. If I were to reserve a hotel room on Priceline.com then arrive to discover that the hotel was closed for remodeling, I'd be pretty upset. However Salar, you're not going to find much sympathy on this forum of avid skiers who are suffering through the ski season that never was. Everyone's already ticked off and feeling ripped off by mother nature. Many of us paid for season passes for our entire families and are watching the season melt away, so when one more guy starts an account to say he's unhappy that he got ripped off, nobody is feeling compassionate. 

post #38 of 54
Did they refuse to let you use the lift? Then they owe you money. You didn't pay for snow, you paid for a lift ticket. They have no control over the weather. I'm sure they'd like to.
post #39 of 54

I understand your point, I am a business guy and I know they are trying to keep business and nothing wrong with that. I bought my ticket 4 days before the ticket date and every day  liftopia sent me message that get ready for your trip , polish your skiis and ... but that resort did not have any snow for much prior to when I bought the ticket and perhaps much longer . I like liftopia Idea and I think it is brilliant saving people money but when some issue comes up that there is no way that a customer can find out what to do they have to be on customer side because at the end of the day customers make them the business , mt baldy is only ruining their business. why does liftopia have to be on their side ?  I never complaint that much about driving there and seriously wasting more money on gas and time that I spent on that ticket originally. I am mad at the way they were dealing with me as a customer who trusted them to get a ticket. If a hotel has plans for renovation or all of a sudden can not offer services ; they let customer know , apologize and let them know to not come there because they wont get any room . when I called liftopia at 11 am the " manager on duty on liftopia " told me oh we just got notified and will send you an email . At 12 pm I received an email that resort is closed. anyway I just want people who deal with customers to know how their customer service work so ultimately it put pressure on them to fix their issues so next time me and you skiers would be treated fairly and can trust liftopia when we pay them money to save money ; not to pay them money and get screwed and not even get an apology. I never felt I got ripped off , even though the online price I paid was exactly what was advertised on the window  ; at the end of the day they advertised a price and I accepted to pay that so I have no complaint about that:  its my job to make sure I get the best price . On the other ; there is liftopia's job to make sure their skiers are going to a resort that has snow to ski and if not apologize to them and at least give their money back .

post #40 of 54

I picture Salar doing this at Mt. Baldy:

 

 

Har!!!

post #41 of 54

Hi all!

 

Thanks so much for all of your ongoing support of Liftopia - we are excited about the progress over the years and still have a long road ahead of us.

 

We are always doing our best to help our ski area partners offer price points that are valuable to consumers in a way that still helps them grow their business. We pride our selves on delivering value on both sides so that we can continue to help the industry reach more customers and get people skiing more frequently in a way that still makes business sense.  In the case of our standard tickets this means savings off of window rate (the farther in advance you buy the lower the price) in exchange for a non refundable commitment to a specific date.  We are very consistent with our policies so that our resort partners remain confident offering the value that we do to our customers.

 

In instances when resorts are not open at all we certainly work with our customers to get them a refund/exchange for a new day, we obviously can't hold it against you if the resort is not open :)  

 

This year is a tough snow year in the west for sure (we are in SF so are feeling it ourselves!) but if there is skiing/riding to be had, a day out there is fun regardless of the conditions being perfect.  In fact we are headed to Sierra at Tahoe with our team on Monday in case any of you want to keep an eye out for us!

 

Doing our snow dance and thanks again for your support!

 

Evan (Co-Founder Liftopia)

post #42 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salar Tavangar View Post
 

We have no logic what so ever. we are family of 4 , got a ticket on 1/19/2015 for 1/25/2015 at Mt baldy ,

Had to FIFY.  As others have said, there hasn't been snow at Baldy forever, so what were YOU thinking.

post #43 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evmo View Post

 

In instances when resorts are not open at all we certainly work with our customers to get them a refund/exchange for a new day, we obviously can't hold it against you if the resort is not open :)  

 

I respect Evan for coming on here to reply but I don’t hear any change to the policy in his reply.  I like the concept of Liftopia but stories like Salar's are making me increasingly unlikely to use them again.

 

Continuing to hold Solar's money after failing to deliver the agreed upon services is distasteful at best and criminal at worst.  Evan, can you refund Salar’s money and adjust your policy to address future situations?  I don’t think Liftopia deserves to be publicly shamed if they address these issues promptly. 

post #44 of 54

Before I ski at the place 45 minutes away, I'm checking conditions/trail reports a week out and looking at the upcoming weather. I don't understand some people. My thinking is this, if Baldy is closed and it's not looking like they're opening anytime soon, they should be reporting to Liftopia. It shouldn't be the other way around.

On the other hand, skiing ain't cheap. It should be approached as such by doing a little due diligence prior to purchasing a trip.

post #45 of 54

Liftopedia is a terrible company that is not accredited with the BBB and will NOT address your concerns made through the BBB.  The US dollar is much stronger anyway and you are better off just buying Canadian ski tickets once you are at the ski resort.  Also, they will NEVER give you a refund.  Just like hotels, it is better to buy direct from the hotel than from a discount site because places like Liftopedia and Expedia have NO CUSTOMER SERVICE or recovery whatsoever.  They just want your hard earned money and if anything goes wrong, they hire snarky people to answer the phone to basically tell you to eff off.  DO NOT BUY FROM LIFTOPEDIA!

In my case, I bought a child ticket that was FREE at the resort.  Should I have done due diligence.  Perhaps. Should I warn people to not use Liftopedia because they will not give you this information at face value and take your money for 10x the cost of a child ticket. Absolutely.  Only use Liftopedia...AT YOUR OWN RISK.  Terrible company.  Moms and Dads everywhere, beware! Most children 6 and younger are free at most ski resorts and season passes are like $15 for children...not the $99 that Liftopedia is charging.  They even ask for your childs birthday and instead of telling you that children are free, they let you purchase tickets anyway.

post #46 of 54


I'll never use them again.

 

I bought an advance 2-out-3-day tickets through them for skiing at Squaw/Alpine.

 

The weather turned bad, so I assumed I was out of luck, but then found out that

the ticket office at Squaw was refunding for the unusable day.   But only their portion:

about 2/3.  The other 2/3 would be kept by Liftopia.

 

Had I purchased the same ticket for the same price directly from Squaw I could 

have gotten a full refund.

 

Squaw suggested I contact Liftopia to see if I could get a full refund.   After 20 minutes

on hold, I gave up, but the staff at Squaw offered to help and got through for me, 

telling me I had a full refund.

 

Guess what?  Next I get an email from Liftopia telling me I have a CREDIT with them

against my next purchase, not a refund.

 

If you want to get nickled-and-dimed, that's your money, but I'm totally fed up with them.

 

Now I need to decide if I just want to reject their deal and get the 2/3 refund from Squaw.

 

I really have better things to do with my time than get jerked around.

post #47 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInCA View Post
 


I'll never use them again.

 

I bought an advance 2-out-3-day tickets through them for skiing at Squaw/Alpine.

 

The weather turned bad, so I assumed I was out of luck, but then found out that

the ticket office at Squaw was refunding for the unusable day.   But only their portion:

about 2/3.  The other 2/3 would be kept by Liftopia.

 

Had I purchased the same ticket for the same price directly from Squaw I could 

have gotten a full refund.

 

Squaw suggested I contact Liftopia to see if I could get a full refund.   After 20 minutes

on hold, I gave up, but the staff at Squaw offered to help and got through for me, 

telling me I had a full refund.

 

Guess what?  Next I get an email from Liftopia telling me I have a CREDIT with them

against my next purchase, not a refund.

 

If you want to get nickled-and-dimed, that's your money, but I'm totally fed up with them.

 

Now I need to decide if I just want to reject their deal and get the 2/3 refund from Squaw.

 

I really have better things to do with my time than get jerked around.

 

Signing up to the site to rant is generally poor form and you'll not garner much sympathy in this case I don't think. As you said, you thought you were out of luck. You're lucky to have anything and should be thanking Squaw for working on your behalf and offering any refund, and thanking Liftopia for being reasonable by offering you a credit.

 

Based on this part of Liftopia's policy :

 

Quote:

WE DO NOT GUARANTEE WEATHER OR SNOW CONDITIONS


We do not guarantee snow conditions, weather conditions, open terrain or number of lifts operating.

 

...you're not owed anything. I've known that going in, every time I've used Liftopia. You even said you expected as much when the weather turned bad.

post #48 of 54

Always a pleasure to hear from Captain Obvious, especially if he's dickishly condescending.

 

Of course Liftopia did not have to refund me, or even credit me, as you apparently felt compelled to repeat.

 

But guess what?   There's another part to the contract between me and Liftopia:  if I'm unhappy with them

FOR ANY REASON, I can choose to stop doing business with them.  Moreover, I'm free to tell others why,

self-important wannabe censors notwithstanding.  And if people are explicitly asking a question, it seems

more than a bit bizarre to call it bad form for supplying directly relevant information.  

 

In this case, I realized that for future business transactions, I had two options:  buy the tickets from Liftopia

or directly from Squaw, with exactly the same price, terms and restrictions.  Squaw appears happy to

immediately refund me, no questions asked, when the weather turns sour (in spite of their ability to say no)

because they value my continued business, whereas Liftopia appeared to be more interested in taking a

one-time windfall.  That was not a difficult IQ test.

 

However, as it turns out, Liftopia reconsidered and decided to give me a full and direct refund.  So they put 

me on an annoying indefinite hold when I tried to contact them, and did attempt to first offer a half-hearted

refund, but in the end they did the right thing by me, so they get due credit for that and have earned the right

to compete for my future business.

 

Those are the simple facts of my experience.   You can make your own judgements about your own dealings

with them.  

 

(Whether you or anyone else is sympathetic with me or not is frankly of no interest to me whatsoever -- that's

your problem.  I'm just trying to be helpful to the original person who asked for advice.)

post #49 of 54


Update:  Liftopia did reconsider and gave me a full refund to my credit card. 

 

So their process was a bit rough but in the end they did do right by me and I will

consider buying tickets from them in the future.

post #50 of 54
Yowzers.
post #51 of 54

post #52 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInCA View Post
 

Always a pleasure to hear from Captain Obvious, especially if he's dickishly condescending.

 

Of course Liftopia did not have to refund me, or even credit me, as you apparently felt compelled to repeat.

 

But guess what?   There's another part to the contract between me and Liftopia:  if I'm unhappy with them

FOR ANY REASON, I can choose to stop doing business with them.  Moreover, I'm free to tell others why,

self-important wannabe censors notwithstanding.  And if people are explicitly asking a question, it seems

more than a bit bizarre to call it bad form for supplying directly relevant information.  

 

In this case, I realized that for future business transactions, I had two options:  buy the tickets from Liftopia

or directly from Squaw, with exactly the same price, terms and restrictions.  Squaw appears happy to

immediately refund me, no questions asked, when the weather turns sour (in spite of their ability to say no)

because they value my continued business, whereas Liftopia appeared to be more interested in taking a

one-time windfall.  That was not a difficult IQ test.

 

However, as it turns out, Liftopia reconsidered and decided to give me a full and direct refund.  So they put 

me on an annoying indefinite hold when I tried to contact them, and did attempt to first offer a half-hearted

refund, but in the end they did the right thing by me, so they get due credit for that and have earned the right

to compete for my future business.

 

Those are the simple facts of my experience.   You can make your own judgements about your own dealings

with them.  

 

(Whether you or anyone else is sympathetic with me or not is frankly of no interest to me whatsoever -- that's

your problem.  I'm just trying to be helpful to the original person who asked for advice.)

 

Sure you have the right to come on here and say all of that, and to stop doing business with Liftopia. There's no censorship going on and you're not violating any rules by stating that you don't like Liftopia. 

 

But I'm free to feel you're being completely unreasonable and unduly harsh toward Liftopia, and state that. And whether or not you ultimately got a refund is immaterial. 

 

We do tend to get a lot of first time posters who sign on simply to rant about a perceived injustice. Sometimes it's warranted, but often, as in this case, I don't think it is. 

 

My remaining questions is, if Squaw had the same price, why bother with Liftopia at all? I was under the impression that the main purpose of Liftopia was a discount, due to the restrictions on the tickets. Is there some other benefit buying from them offered over Squaw?

post #53 of 54
Quote:
if Squaw had the same price, why bother with Liftopia at all?

I was in a hurry.  I looked at Squaw, then looked at Liftopia and since they were 

identical I just went ahead and ordered from the site (Liftopia) that I was currently at.

In retrospect that was a mistake, although not as much of one as I first thought.

 

At any rate, I think I've clearly explained my experience, so anyone can make their own

judgements about what to expect with Liftopia vs. Squaw.

 

Apparently frank assessments are considered inappropriate here, so I'll delete my account

and move on -- it's not worth the hassle.

post #54 of 54

moderator note: this thread has been locked to prevent future "misunderstandings" between those who have been disappointed by their Liftopia experience and those who have the opinion that they paid their money and took their changes. There's enough info in the thread to answer the original question and help people using Google to make up their own mind.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
This thread is locked  
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Purchasing liftickets from Liftopia?