or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Purchasing liftickets from Liftopia?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Purchasing liftickets from Liftopia?

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
 I am thinking of purchasing lift tickets for this weekend for Camelback in PA from liftopia.
Has any one used liftopia for Camelback tickets? If so how did it work out? Any problems? I would also appreciate hearing from people who have used liftopia for other mountains as well. It would be nice to have some peace of mind knowing the tickets I buy from their site will actually work?  

Thanks
post #2 of 23
Yes, it works. I've done it last season.
post #3 of 23
yes it works,but check the mountain you want to ski first for any specials that they are doing. liftopia won't let you know the area is having $15.00 special day when they are selling the ticket for $25.00
post #4 of 23
I just used it to ski Windahm yesterday with a group of 6.  Three in the group were beginners and bought lift/rental packages and the other 3 bought lift tix only.  Between all of us we saved around $140.  We had to redeem the vouchers at Group Sales.
post #5 of 23
Thread Starter 
 Thanks for the info Everyone!!
As it turns out I went to buy them this morning for tomorrow and the tickets were gone :(
So for tomorrow we will have to pay full price at the mountain. I will definitely use liftopia in the future. We would have saved $63.00 for the 3 of us. Either way I am happy to be getting in our first day of skiing for the season!

Thanks again,
post #6 of 23
 As I understand it, the tickets must be redeemed by the person who’s name they are purchased in. Once they are redeemed do the actual tickets have a name on them? I have family coming to town and we are planning on spending a few days up skiing in Summit county, I also have a little one, 9 months old, so each day someone will be staying behind to watch him. The plan is to buy the tickets now and then determine on a day by day basis who will get to stay back and watch the little one. Is this possible with Liftopia?

 

Thanks

post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddorband View Post

 As I understand it, the tickets must be redeemed by the person who’s name they are purchased in. Once they are redeemed do the actual tickets have a name on them? I have family coming to town and we are planning on spending a few days up skiing in Summit county, I also have a little one, 9 months old, so each day someone will be staying behind to watch him. The plan is to buy the tickets now and then determine on a day by day basis who will get to stay back and watch the little one. Is this possible with Liftopia?

 

Thanks

I would ask them directly on their Facebook page.
post #8 of 23
I've used liftopia and it works great.  Don't recall there being a name on actual ticket once presenting voucher/printout and obtaining ticket at ski area. 
Also, keep trying their website right up until the last moment you have internet connectivity.  I seems like they run out and add more available tics at a high rate especially within 48-24 hrs of intended date. 
Good advice from darent to not give up searching for better deals elsewhere, including checking with the area's website and www.snowjunkies.com  Deals for Catskill areas often available at Potter Brothers ski shops and website. 
post #9 of 23
Liftopia is terrible. Don't bother using it. I bought a three day lift pass, but then found out that my party was only boarding for two days instead of three. I called customer service to change my order, and the customer care representative pretty much told me to screw myself in the most polite way possible. Way to build customer loyalty.
post #10 of 23

What part of "non-refundable" are you struggling to understand?

post #11 of 23

I like liftopia but you have to be careful since tickets are non-refundable, only for the named person on the ticket and only for the dates on the ticket.  However, I know that many ski areas will cut you some slack if you have a reasonable story.  So if your flight was canceled and you get there a day late, they likely will give you credit for your ticket from yesterday but they may make you pay the difference to the full price ticket and even such an offer isn’t guaranteed. 

 

So my advice is to be sure you’re going to ski there that day.  That often means I don’t buy from liftopia for day 1 of the trip because delays happen.  It also means the deal better be significant or it’s not worth the hassle.

post #12 of 23
Quote:
 Liftopia is terrible. Don't bother using it. I bought a three day lift pass, but then found out that my party was only boarding for two days instead of three. I called customer service to change my order, and the customer care representative pretty much told me to screw myself in the most polite way possible. Way to build customer loyalty.

It's a discount site. They tell you it's non refundable. It's like booking a hotel through Hotwire, or buying something on clearance that says no returns. If you want flexibility and customer service, you will have to pay more for that, elsewhere.

post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post

What part of "non-refundable" are you struggling to understand?
I'm not "struggling" to understand anything. I'm merely pointing out that their service could benefit from being a tad bit more flexible. If a customer decides to exchange a lift ticket with enough time for it to be bought by someone else, it shouldn't be a problem. By the way, you've got some brown on your nose.
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanvg View Post

 

So my advice is to be sure you’re going to ski there that day.  That often means I don’t buy from liftopia for day 1 of the trip because delays happen.  It also means the deal better be significant or it’s not worth the hassle.

Excellent advice!

 

I often only buy the ticket on the night before, right before I go to bed! That means I'm typically already at the resort and nothing will prevent me from arriving at the ticket window.

 

(granted, some discounts do sold out, it's a bigger risk to buy in advance. So the saving better be bigger to worth the risk)

post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by angleribs View Post

Liftopia is terrible. Don't bother using it. I bought a three day lift pass, but then found out that my party was only boarding for two days instead of three. I called customer service to change my order, and the customer care representative pretty much told me to screw myself in the most polite way possible. Way to build customer loyalty.

 

Did you just join to post on this company?  Just get over it, move on with your life and don't use liftopia again.  

Come on, it's just 1 day out of your 3day pass not the end of the world.  Find someone in the parking lot to sell your 3rd day to if you want to hustle. 

 

You don't have to get satisfaction by posting negative experience on every link and review site you find; it makes you look petty.  Next you'll be asking for a refund since it didn't snow or a lift was closed.

 

Please check out the rest of the forum, there's a lot more fun topics to read about which can maybe make you happier. 

 

If you want to shout into the wind about your sob story about liftopia, you'd have better results talking to them directly.  

post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by angleribs View Post


I'm not "struggling" to understand anything. I'm merely pointing out that their service could benefit from being a tad bit more flexible. If a customer decides to exchange a lift ticket with enough time for it to be bought by someone else, it shouldn't be a problem. By the way, you've got some brown on your nose.

 

They have a limited amount of tickets that they get, and they're first come-first served.For the benefit of receiving a discount on normallly undiscounted tickets, there are some rules - like no refunds. Keep the overheads low, and the rules simple. Well, not simple enough apparently.

post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by angleribs View Post

I'm not "struggling" to understand anything. I'm merely pointing out that their service could benefit from being a tad bit more flexible. If a customer decides to exchange a lift ticket with enough time for it to be bought by someone else, it shouldn't be a problem. By the way, you've got some brown on your nose.

I think you confused a online ticket broker from a local business.

 

A ticket broker has no incentive to offer any sort of customer service except perhaps to fix their own mistake. Anyone shopping online from a discounter are bargain hunting. They would go to the next website that offers $1 less in a heartbeat. So there's no benefit for liftopia to be "flexible" as you would have hoped. 

post #18 of 23
Does anyone know if their deals get better the closer to the date of skiing they get? Ie: Are tickets for tomorrow cheaper than tickets for a few weeks out?

They have some amazing deals to Loveland for the days we're going to be in that area, but I don't want to prebuy and then have whiteout conditions. If the weather is crappy I'd rather go to Copper and buy $85 tickets through them or liftopia.

Do most people just wait and buy right before they ski when they know what the weather will be like? It's nice that they show how many tickets for each deal they have left to sell.
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post

Does anyone know if their deals get better the closer to the date of skiing they get? Ie: Are tickets for tomorrow cheaper than tickets for a few weeks out?

They have some amazing deals to Loveland for the days we're going to be in that area, but I don't want to prebuy and then have whiteout conditions. If the weather is crappy I'd rather go to Copper and buy $85 tickets through them or liftopia.

Do most people just wait and buy right before they ski when they know what the weather will be like? It's nice that they show how many tickets for each deal they have left to sell.

My experience is that the prices go up as you get closer.  They can also run out of tickets for the date in question.  

post #20 of 23

Hi Bob,

 

Off the Liftopia tangent, you may be able to find discounts from local ski shops when you get closer to PA, the discount may not be as deep but it is something.

post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by crank View Post

My experience is that the prices go up as you get closer.  They can also run out of tickets for the date in question.  

Good to know. I love that they have the 'number of deals left' thing so you can know whether you need to actually pull the trigger on a deal or not.
post #22 of 23

I probably bought 25 Liftopia tickets last year, maybe more, they even sent me their swag package which I thought was funny because it actually said "Here's our swag, thanks for buying tickets". 

 

What I learned:

 

You have to put in the skiers name and it will be printed on the receipt you bring in, which is handed into the ticket window.  I always got a generic lift ticket that didn't identify anybody, but the ticket window will probably ask for your ID to get the tickets themselves as you are the purchaser.  I think it states this in the terms somewhere.

 

Tickets are limited and do get pricier as the date gets closer (in my experience, not by much).  The best way to see if they are going to sell out is to monitor it for upcoming weekends and just see when they sell out, i.e., Monday they will have no numbers, Tuesday they will have 8 and Wednesday they will have 6 left at that price.  A local mountain here (Bear Mountain) was selling out Friday dates by Wednesday and then they stopped selling tickets on Liftopia at all, everything is "greyed" out. 

 

Which comes to my next point that some resorts don't really deal with Liftopia because they have the clout not to.  All in all, I've been paying 40-60% less for tickets regularly but you have to watch what is happening.  YMMV.

 

Good luck,

 

~S

post #23 of 23

A couple of things I've noticed recently:

 

Copper tickets never sell out.  You can get every ticket offer they have for any day for the rest of the season.  None have 'XX tickets left' listed.   Copper must be dying for more skiers and letting Liftopia move as many tickets as possible.

 

Loveland, on the other hand, has very limited deals on many of the days they have listed.  I was planning on trying to buy tickets for loveland off liftopia the day before we skied based on the weather (march 10th and 11th) but I think they'll likely be sold out by then.

 

A-basin has many different packages so if the normal lift ticket deal is sold out you can just buy the lift ticket + bloody Mary deal and still save a ton of money.   A basin is less likely to sell out way in advance due to these options.

 

If you're going to use the site for a busy resort, check on the deals ofter to see where they are at.   Looking at tickets for tomorrow's ski day also gives you an idea of the demand and if the price will increase or decrease.   Both A basin and Copper have lower prices for tomorrow than they do for almost any other day this month.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Purchasing liftickets from Liftopia?