or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › SKIS OF THE GOLDEN ERA, which did you rock? a poll
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SKIS OF THE GOLDEN ERA, which did you rock? a poll - Page 3

Poll Results: Which of these classics did you rock back in the day? Quick review ?

Poll expired: Jan 4, 2010 This is a multiple choice poll
  • 10% of voters (7)
    Kaestle Metal GS or similar
  • 4% of voters (3)
    Fisher Alu
  • 13% of voters (9)
    Rossignol Strato
  • 9% of voters (6)
    Dynamic VR17 or comp
  • 13% of voters (9)
    Head Competition, Master, Standard
  • 10% of voters (7)
    Hart
  • 13% of voters (9)
    Kneissel White, Red, Blue Star
  • 6% of voters (4)
    Volkl Tiger
  • 9% of voters (6)
    other (French)
  • 7% of voters (5)
    Other (Austrian)
65 Total Votes  
post #61 of 81
Thread Starter 


With the sucess of Billy Kidd and Jimmy Huega at the '64 Olympics, popularity of Head skis was way up. We teenage kids were devoted fans. The reason the logo is so clear in this photo is that I maintained the decal with black ink, so Head would always show clearly on the ski base.
note: it was drizzling for my run. made a last second decision about goggles in what was a fast race. I know, not very aero.


Some last minute voting (perhaps by skiers who didn't want Strato to win) gives us a three way tie. Pictures of the winner(s) ? I'll cover the Head Competion GS. Kneissel anyone, we won't say you're wealthy
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex View Post

The Strato had a full paragraph, in french, on the ski's undying awesomeness.
 

You mean printed on the ski, like in the binding area? Those French!  modest not. My Arc's (late 80s I guess, not an apt comparison, but....) have a lot of data about the ski printed there in four languages. Different national styles again. It's awesome.
Edited by davluri - 1/3/10 at 3:51pm
post #62 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by davluri View Post
You mean printed on the ski, like in the binding area?

Ayup, the 'surly glace' bit of rodomontade.   

Always wondered if that's where the likes of Elan got the idea of stamping Stenmark's wins on the skis.

Anyone know of self-promotion blurbs -prior- to the Strato?
post #63 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi Smash View Post




Sorry comprex but the pic I've got is too far away to read. It's there, you can see it.



Anyone remember the Stratix?


 
How about the White Star blurb?

post #64 of 81
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex View Post




Ayup, the 'surly glace' bit of rodomontade.   

Always wondered if that's where the likes of Elan got the idea of stamping Stenmark's wins on the skis.

Anyone know of self-promotion blurbs -prior- to the Strato?

 


You've got to be impressed by the acute detail of the historical data getting tossed around here.
post #65 of 81
Thread Starter 
For Austria and Switzerland in the 60s world cup wins were their version of who lands on the moon first.
post #66 of 81
Thread Starter 
What was the Stratix. If that color is blue, I'm going to say it was what was then called a combi, which meant a de-tuned or softer version of the Strato in this case, or Red Star to Blue Star, Or Alu GS to Alu Combi and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi Smash View Post



How about the White Star blurb?



 


When I wanted a translation of Stockli it didn't take long around here. I have a little German. Gefertigt would mean finished, so it's something like : finished with durable epoxy

then: perhaps: White Star, the premier model of the oldest ski factory in Austria.

Next block is a list of world cup and olympic victories.

Kufstein hosted the world luge, in which I was on the brand new American junior team. We stayed in Kufstein for the comps. niiiice.
post #67 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by davluri View Post




Phil, I'm doing the sixties, not the 80s. Does in the day mean the 80s? I thought in the day meant whenever you were 15 to 25 years old.
 


Well, to me..yes! :-)
post #68 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi Smash View Post



How about the White Star blurb?


 

Listing the Kandahar by name is actually pretty  
post #69 of 81
Thread Starter 

That would have been exactly like Bicycle Racing at the time, and listing Paris-Rubaix, World Championship Barcelona 1962, Ghent Wenvelgem, and so on.
 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex View Post




Listing the Kandahar by name is actually pretty  
 
post #70 of 81
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post





Well, to me..yes! :-)


I guess In the day  gets farther and farther back in time as you age. A sliding reference of Nostalgia.
post #71 of 81
All of the old Legnano, Frejus, Fiorelli, etc. bicycles of the same era had their victories mentioned somewhere on the frames. The early VR17s w/the "V" in victories written w/two skis is the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davluri View Post

That would have been exactly like Bicycle Racing at the time, and listing Paris-Rubaix, World Championship Barcelona 1962, Ghent Wenvelgem, and so on.
 

 




 
post #72 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSobran View Post

All of the old Legnano, Frejus, Fiorelli, etc. bicycles of the same era had their victories mentioned somewhere on the frames. The early VR17s w/the "V" in victories written w/two skis is the best!
 


 

For the record my 1964 Bianchi Specialissima has no such panel

post #73 of 81
Going a little off topic here but that is a beautiful Bianchi. I almost bought a very similiar bike over Christmas. It was early 60's. integral headset, Universal 61, early Record front changer...even one REG cage.Not complete, just the above mentioned parts. These are rare and two sightings in a week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi Smash View Post




For the record my 1964 Bianchi Specialissima has no such panel



 
post #74 of 81
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi Smash View Post




For the record my 1964 Bianchi Specialissima has no such panel



 


bellisimo!                  (is that a word or something out of Breaking Away)

Sweet ride. Do you take it out? looks like it, sew up nicely tucked under the saddle. I have a Raleigh Supercourse of the same era, not restored, brown metalic, chromed frame and fork, ornate lugwork, but it has mixed original french and english parts I think.

On a bicycle sometimes it was just the World Champion rainbow stripes somewhere. I didn't know if bicycles printed victories on the frame, more as if the races named would be like such and such.
post #75 of 81
Thread Starter 
Smash, Is the Stratix blue or black. If blue, is it the combi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davluri View Post

What was the Stratix. If that color is blue, I'm going to say it was what was then called a combi, which meant a de-tuned or softer version of the Strato in this case, or Red Star to Blue Star, Or Alu GS to Alu Combi and so on.

 



When I wanted a translation of Stockli it didn't take long around here. I have a little German. Gefertigt would mean finished, so it's something like : finished with durable epoxy

then: perhaps: White Star, the premier model of the oldest ski factory in Austria.

Next block is a list of world cup and olympic victories.

Kufstein hosted the world luge, in which I was on the brand new American junior team. We stayed in Kufstein for the comps. niiiice.
post #76 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by davluri View Post

Smash, Is the Stratix blue or black. If blue, is it the combi?
 


 

All I've got is the picture, not the skis. To me it appears black but you know how pictures can be!
post #77 of 81
Nice trip down memory lane, esp those Head Killy's and Slalom skis. When I was at Stowe last February we went to the inn by the stream in the village. The owner was a racer back in the day and had a pair of 210cm Ficher Alu's on the wall. It almost brought a tear to my eye, thinking of all the years since I was on those skis, and it really was fun playing with those lousy Marker Rotomat bindings for a few moments. Those bindings were hardly reliable by today's standards... I'll take modern step-in bindings and tight carving skis any day...
post #78 of 81
The Stratix was a de-tune Strato.  In 1972, I was racing on the Strato, while my sister was free skiing on the Stratix, just as a proper Rossi family should.  Hers were a later model with more tones in the graphics.
post #79 of 81
Thread Starter 

We didn't find a lot of people that skied the Alu, but it was a very popular and superior ski in the day.
 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by bosrocker51 View Post

Nice trip down memory lane, esp those Head Killy's and Slalom skis. When I was at Stowe last February we went to the inn by the stream in the village. The owner was a racer back in the day and had a pair of 210cm Ficher Alu's on the wall. It almost brought a tear to my eye, thinking of all the years since I was on those skis, and it really was fun playing with those lousy Marker Rotomat bindings for a few moments. Those bindings were hardly reliable by today's standards... I'll take modern step-in bindings and tight carving skis any day...
 
post #80 of 81
Hey - Joined Epic too late to participate, but knew a lot of the models well. Raced on 205 Dark Red Fischer Alu steel RS in Switzerand 1967 and 1968 while I was at school there. Kneissel White Stars or Kastle Snow Kings were the gear to own, but a little too steep in price for me. I tried them and the Rossignol Strato.  Liked my Alu's though.  My set-up was a Look Nevada Toe and Marker Rotating heel with red long lanyards. Hell of a ski - good for Slalom and good for GS but a bear to get unwound and back on if you fell. Still looking for a pair still today.
post #81 of 81

Ive still got my Strato 102's, never going to part with them though its a long time since ive been fit enough to ski them to anything like their potential.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › SKIS OF THE GOLDEN ERA, which did you rock? a poll