EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › SKI RACERS' VICTORY CELEBRATIONS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SKI RACERS' VICTORY CELEBRATIONS

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
When a ski racer completes a great run, a possible winning run, his/her behavior is tempered by restraint, as have ski racers all through time:
for example:
They don't:
throw their poles in the air and spike their skis
dance around the finish area pounding their chest 
They do:
congratulate other competitors
wave to friends and family
smile humbly and bow their head

What differences exist between the sports and the people that account for this difference of behavior in moments of triumph?

Top skiers at Squaw have established a modest ethos over the years and it has been a model of behavior for other upcoming champions.

Have there been skiers who celebrate with more flamboyance than the current norm? (Tomba?) Has the restrained behavior of the Austrian and Swiss champions through the years become the model for a winner's behavior.
post #2 of 24
 Anja Paerson is a good celebrator. There's a few in this video after 2:40 or so. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAFEBMrh5AY
post #3 of 24
Thread Starter 
I can't do U-tube on dial up. Is she a golfer?  boy, I'm displaying some ignorance here If she's a ski racer, I'm screwed.
post #4 of 24
 No not a golfer, just one of the great ski racers of our time.
post #5 of 24
post #6 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post

 No not a golfer, just one of the great ski racers of our time.

uh, oh. I was aftraid of that.   aaaaaaack. comes from not having any acess to ski races on TV or computer. my bad.
Oh, I am such a noob. hup, hup Anja.
so, what does she do when she wins? please indulge me.
post #7 of 24
 Penguin slide. Sometimes she dances, she likes to win.
post #8 of 24
 
post #9 of 24
Thread Starter 
Epic: quick work. nice. she has bigger thighs than most of the wide receivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post

 Penguin slide. Sometimes she dances, she likes to win.

Nice. hope Julia has something to say about penguins.

I fell face first on firm moguls skiing with my 10 year old (then) son. he said that I had looked like a penguin. no victory there, and it did hurt.
post #10 of 24
Cuche flips his ski from the toe of his binding into the air & catches it (most of the time).
Tomba would often do a gymnastic flip when he won.
Rainer Schoenfelder would do some pretty R rated dances with his skis.
Jonna Mendes would usually do a more G rated dance in the finish area.

There are a few others I've seen, but along with Anja's slide those are the ones that come to mind.
JF
post #11 of 24
 It is tough to compare the behavior of ski racers to that of other athletes, such as foot ball players and basketball players. Those ywo sports have some of the worst behaved athletes in the entire world IMO. So many of them get passed through their classes just so they can play and make money, they become spoiled little children who have an over inflated sense of self worth. 
post #12 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoyal View Post

 It is tough to compare the behavior of ski racers to that of other athletes, such as foot ball players and basketball players. Those ywo sports have some of the worst behaved athletes in the entire world IMO. So many of them get passed through their classes just so they can play and make money, they become spoiled little children who have an over inflated sense of self worth. 
It's refreshing to read a post that doesn't beat around the bush and make weak equivocal statements.

A person who grows up in Stoos, Schweiz has a different approach to everything (winning and losing) than a person who grows up in West Oakland, USA.
post #13 of 24
One of the reasons I love ski racing is because the athletes stay pretty classy compared to other sports. No finger pointing at the sky and thanking Jesus, the athletes seem pretty friendly to each other, and the crowd appreciates a good run no matter what the nationality. If the athlete does do something like Anja's slide, it looks more like a display of joy rather than an arrogant gesture.


Quote:
Cuche flips his ski from the toe of his binding into the air & catches it (most of the time).
 
That's not a winning thing--he does that at the end of every run, unless he's hurt or maybe pissed (like the other week after he broke a rib--first time I've seen him not flip).
post #14 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy319 View Post

One of the reasons I love ski racing is because the athletes stay pretty classy compared to other sports. No finger pointing at the sky and thanking Jesus, the athletes seem pretty friendly to each other, and the crowd appreciates a good run no matter what the nationality. If the athlete does do something like Anja's slide, it looks more like a display of joy rather than an arrogant gesture.


 

That's not a winning thing--he does that at the end of every run, unless he's hurt or maybe pissed (like the other week after he broke a rib--first time I've seen him not flip).

 

QFT
I do some gate-keeping for the local program, so I'm around the start area a lot. The racers are friendly and supportive. As  you said, every aspect and level of racing is respected, appreciated, and celebrated. and with class. It's a great community.
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by davluri View Post



It's refreshing to read a post that doesn't beat around the bush and make weak equivocal statements.

A person who grows up in Stoos, Schweiz has a different approach to everything (winning and losing) than a person who grows up in West Oakland, USA.
 
I am a rather blunt person, for better or worse. I used to coach some a ski team at a private school in Maine. I had one of my top skiers throw his goggles after a bad run, lets just say he was on gate keeping for a few races after that. It sickens me to see so called "professional" athletes act like complete assholes.
post #16 of 24
who says rocker is not appropriate for hard snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post

 
post #17 of 24
Thread Starter 
many racers will make the argument that Ingmar Stenmark was the best racer in history. Now there was a class act!
post #18 of 24
Glad someone got the penguin slide pic, I couldn't find one.

Perhaps it is because an huge celebration could be in bad taste since most of the time there are still other racers to go and the race is not yet over.
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by narc View Post

Glad someone got the penguin slide pic, I couldn't find one.

Perhaps it is because an huge celebration could be in bad taste since most of the time there are still other racers to go and the race is not yet over.

Well the game isn't usually over when someone scores a touchdown and dances in the end zone or scores a  goal and removes their shirt to wave it like a flag.

How bout spraying all the spectators along the snow fence and netting at the end of the run-out from the finish line?  I think that would have been my trademark celebration regardless of what my time was...
post #20 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post




Well the game isn't usually over when someone scores a touchdown and dances in the end zone or scores a  goal and removes their shirt to wave it like a flag.

How bout spraying all the spectators along the snow fence and netting at the end of the run-out from the finish line?  I think that would have been my trademark celebration regardless of what my time was...

 

spray them with what? not a lot of loose snow on speed event courses. that works better for a pond crossing
post #21 of 24
 Cultural bias bordering on racism.
post #22 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by telerod15 View Post

 Cultural bias bordering on racism.

That is a fine line here, and your point is well taken. Styles of expression are in part culturally determined. HOWEVER, the ski community represents a huge number of cultures, some with more flamboyant styles of expression than others. Ski racing must have as many cultures as any sport. I'm not sure that being repulsed by an individual's actual behavior is racist, whereas being repulsed by a person's culture or race is racism.
post #23 of 24
It was probably racist of me to suggest the flamboyant excessive displays of American football players is due to the culture/race of the players. Basketball players are predominately African-American and they act professional on the court. Football is a show, like Wrestling and almost as popular among American sports fans.

Yes skiers behave more sportsmanlike than American footballers.

What are some other signature moves? Didn't Ligety used to carve a circle? Does he still? Did Mosley do worm turn or something after landing his jump in big air comps? Sorry my memory is bad. 

If you haven't seen Cuche's flip, you should. He kicks his ski in the air and catches it after it has gone around one complete rotation plus to vertical.
post #24 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by telerod15 View Post

It was probably racist of me to suggest the flamboyant excessive displays of American football players is due to the culture/race of the players. Basketball players are predominately African-American and they act professional on the court. Football is a show, like Wrestling and almost as popular among American sports fans.

Yes skiers behave more sportsmanlike than American footballers.

What are some other signature moves? Didn't Ligety used to carve a circle? Does he still? Did Mosley do worm turn or something after landing his jump in big air comps? Sorry my memory is bad. 

If you haven't seen Cuche's flip, you should. He kicks his ski in the air and catches it after it has gone around one complete rotation plus to vertical.


I have not seen it. I'm getting Universal soon and won't be so out of the loop. He must keep his gloves on, eh?

A buddy of mine demonstrated what he called the Hollywood mount: poles in hand, you lay your skis down on the snow and coming in from the tails jump into both bindings simultaneously. click and you're good. I'm easily impressed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › SKI RACERS' VICTORY CELEBRATIONS