EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › What should I do if a ski shop lost a pair of my skis that were out for warranty?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What should I do if a ski shop lost a pair of my skis that were out for warranty? - Page 2

post #31 of 51

I'm a little bewildered after trying to follow this thread. Do you get most if not all of your equipment virtually free? Why don't you ask the "friend" who dropped a sledgehammer on your ski to replace it!? Oh I know that must be usual behavior where you abide. Why exactly is it you cannot continue with your ski club activities? This ski shop, which probably has not made a nickel on you is likely out a lot of money and completely fed up.

post #32 of 51
This is why many retail chains in other industries make the customer pay warranty shipping up front and refund it later if/when it turns out to be a valid warranty issue.  Are we at the point where ski shops start pushing semi expensive almost never needed service plans for skis like electronics stores do?  I don't buy those but know a friend that got a phone call asking her if she wanted to extend the warranty on her fridge for $75.00 two days after the compressor blew, and right after the regualar warranty had expired. She took them up on it and had a new fridge delivered two weeks later.
post #33 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by oisin View Post

I'm a little bewildered after trying to follow this thread. Do you get most if not all of your equipment virtually free? Why don't you ask the "friend" who dropped a sledgehammer on your ski to replace it!? Oh I know that must be usual behavior where you abide. Why exactly is it you cannot continue with your ski club activities? This ski shop, which probably has not made a nickel on you is likely out a lot of money and completely fed up.



True.  You are a bad customer, and it's people like you that cause the rest of us truthful people to get the shaft when we go into a shop.  Thanks for putting a chip on this shops shoulder.  I bet you go in there talking about your free stuff, have these guys bend over backwards for you and probably never even brought em a 12 pack.  You need to either change your name to Lower Myself to the Lowest Level, or listen to the name you have.
post #34 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oisin View Post

I'm a little bewildered after trying to follow this thread. Do you get most if not all of your equipment virtually free? Why don't you ask the "friend" who dropped a sledgehammer on your ski to replace it!? Oh I know that must be usual behavior where you abide. Why exactly is it you cannot continue with your ski club activities? This ski shop, which probably has not made a nickel on you is likely out a lot of money and completely fed up.


They have actually made quite a bit from me. Like I said, my equipment was billed to another company (at retail price from my knowledge). They have also made alot from me bringing people in for bootfitting, equipment, etc. Last year I brought 4 people up alone to get new boots and to get fitted. Alot of my friends love the place now and go up there all the time.

As for the GS skis, I honestly didn't expect anything back from them. Lucky me I guess.

The two other skis were legitimate claims though, a 2008 Blizzard topsheet failure, which was very common for that model year, and the blown out sidewall, which is apparently a not so common issue.

Going up tomorrow for a visit before/after some speed training. Hopefully my guy is there and we can finally sort things out.
post #35 of 51
please don't make me laugh, i have coaches and instructors who bring 20-30 people a year...4 and you think you are the savior of their business

BTW paid for or not  what you did with the GS skis is fraud, whether you expected a replacement or not you tried to get one...i am so glad you are not my customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise To The Top View Post




 They have also made alot from me bringing people in for bootfitting, equipment, etc. Last year I brought 4 people up alone to get new boots and to get fitted. Alot of my friends love the place now and go up there all the time.
post #36 of 51
4 customers is an absolute joke.  I used to get good deals from a car stereo place because after I got my system from them, half my school with cars went to them.  I bet you made sure all your buddies got 20% off too..there's . to the game, man.  Don't kid yourself.  You are a bad customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEM View Post

please don't make me laugh, i have coaches and instructors who bring 20-30 people a year...4 and you think you are the savior of their business

BTW paid for or not  what you did with the GS skis is fraud, whether you expected a replacement or not you tried to get one...i am so glad you are not my customer
 

post #37 of 51
I'm not sure why so many people are getting upset with you. 

If I read correctly, you said you got your stuff cheep because "the club" helped to foot the bills.  Not that the shop gave them to you.
Am I wrong?

You also said that it was after the fact, that a friend fessed up to dropping the sledge on the ski edge.  Prior to the confession, you did not know.  I could see how, after you got those replaced, he then felt he could tell you the truth, since you had another pair now.  (kids)
Am I wrong?

I'm going on memory now, I'm not going back, and reading all this again now.

It seems those getting pissed are in the business.  If they are so mad, well, maybe they have had too many bad experiences at there places.  That's too bad.  But that's their shoulder chip, and they choose to be in it.  These people don't seem like good business people to me.  Seems like they hate people.  The best shops will always do well, because they always treat their customers well.  That way nobody ever says anything bad about them ever.  Retail will always have returns etc..   It's how they are handled that can make, or break a business.  Maybe those guys are pissed because they are close to going down, and that creates a lot of stress for any owner.

I still feel that all the other stuff is irrelevant to the case.  Just like the court of law. 
I'm I wrong?
post #38 of 51
jacques believe me i am in no way close to going down.... if you knew anythign about my business or those of the others that have commented you will discover that they are all successful, we all treat our custoers well that is why we are successful.......

as i said ealier i handle warranties for a couple of brands and there are so many chancers out there.... impact is not a warranty claim, trying to claim skis as warranty with impact is taking the piss, the shop should not even send them but the customer (especially one with som much background in skiing should know better than to even try)

i have no chip on my shoulders just a very good business which gives me a great lifestyle (but just not quite as much skiing as i would like to get)
post #39 of 51

I think you are missing some of the point here.  Some of his damages should never have been replaced.  Many times, a GREAT shop has things covered under warranty because of a very favorable relationship with a company.  For example, my old boss at the Ducati shop.  He was 65 and had the shop for 35 years.  Ducati would approve any and every OUT OF WARRANTY GOOD WILL claim he issued because they trusted him and his judgement.  If his shop had always tried to shaft Ducati with the bill, as you recommend, he wouldn't have been able to get anything done properly or quickly.  An example: One guy came into our shop, a very pleasant fellow, and said that he was going down the road and ran over a ghastly pot hole.  This royally f'd up his forks.  COVERED.  A different guy walks in the following week with the same bike (Monster S4RS), cocky kid, comes in and says, you guys need to fix my forks and radiator.  I busted 'em up doing wheelies, and this bike is supposed to be able to take it, that's what it's built for.  See ya buddy.  THAT'S ABUSE!!!  Just like RTTT and his sledge hammered edge and other joke of returns. 
And no, I don't hate people.  I hate ass*****.  Actually, the only reason I stayed at that job as long as I did was my built up clientele that really enjoyed what I did for them.  The pay sucked.  As a testament to this, the manager and myself helped all these guys all the time.  That manager went and opened his own cycle shop, and he took about 65% of his clients with him because the owner of the Ducati shop royally f'd over some key people in the Tucson Ducati scene. 

post #40 of 51
 Guroo - I can only imagine what you must have seen in that shop. Must have been entertaining at least.
post #41 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post

 Guroo - I can only imagine what you must have seen in that shop. Must have been entertaining at least.

Surprisingly, the Ducati crowd is pretty awesome and eccentric.  The really ridiculous people ride BMW's.  I must admit I own a BMW F650 GS Dakar.  Oh well.  The D'bag list was quite short at our shop.  Mostly because the owner was so grumpy that it was his client list that was short.  Also, most Ducati owners have 3 bikes, and their duc is the one they don't thrash.  That's what R1s and GSXR 750s are for.  Man, you wanna see some D'bags, just contact all the people that have GSXRs for sale in cycletrader that read.  MY LOSS IS YOUR GAIN!  GSXR 1000 for sale, 1500 miles, needs front fairing and side fairing, no frame damage, never serviced.  $3000. 
I used to work in a parts department for a  huge Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda dealership in San Jose.  That's where it was really interesting.
post #42 of 51
Look, I don't know any of you guys.  So don't take it personal.   OK, the guy has taken a lot of skis back.   For some reason the shop took back the pair in question.   Once they took them back for warranty, or whatever, they need to be responsible for the skis.
If not, they should not have taken them back.  Like I said before, a skilled person in the shop should have been able to handle that.  End of story.   All they need to do is get him back the skis, fixed, or not.   That's all I'm saying.  You loose it, you replace it.

I just can't understand why you guys are being so mean to him.  What did he do to you?   You guys are reaming him a new hole, and well, I don't think that's cool.

I'm glad that you are doing so well with your shops.  But I don't think you are making yourselves look to good to rail on this guy.
At least you should try to be nicer about it.    Why not relax those strings a little!
post #43 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post

Look, I don't know any of you guys.  So don't take it personal.   OK, the guy has taken a lot of skis back.   For some reason the shop took back the pair in question.   Once they took them back for warranty, or whatever, they need to be responsible for the skis.
If not, they should not have taken them back.  Like I said before, a skilled person in the shop should have been able to handle that.  End of story.   All they need to do is get him back the skis, fixed, or not.   That's all I'm saying.  You loose it, you replace it.

I just can't understand why you guys are being so mean to him.  What did he do to you?   You guys are reaming him a new hole, and well, I don't think that's cool.

I'm glad that you are doing so well with your shops.  But I don't think you are making yourselves look to good to rail on this guy.
At least you should try to be nicer about it.    Why not relax those strings a little!

 

You are a good Oregonian.  I mean that with a soft spot in my heart for the place.  We should chill, but as a board that absorbs info from all over the world, the people that do work in retail are trying to help this guy realize what he is doing, and POSSIBLY why he got what he did.  I agree about them being responsible, but this guy needs to be responsible too.  we are trying to guide him towards being responsible.
post #44 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post

If I read correctly, you said you got your stuff cheep because "the club" helped to foot the bills.  Not that the shop gave them to you.
Am I wrong?


You are wrong - He was "comped" - he got them free


You also said that it was after the fact, that a friend fessed up to dropping the sledge on the ski edge. 
Am I wrong?

Wrong again - He said that his friend told him what happened, but he sent them back  to Volkl and, to his amazement they replaced them.

It seems those getting pissed are in the business.  If they are so mad, well, maybe they have had too many bad experiences at there places.  That's too bad.  But that's their shoulder chip, and they choose to be in it.  These people don't seem like good business people to me.  Seems like they hate people.  The best shops will always do well, because they always treat their customers well.  That way nobody ever says anything bad about them ever.  Retail will always have returns etc..   It's how they are handled that can make, or break a business.

Quite a number of leaps you take there. I'm not in "the business", but I see this guy as marginally ethical at best. And the shop owners are pointing out that they get to know their customer's, and if one is taking advantage of situations, they grow tired of them. What others (including me) are saying is that it appears that the shop has lost interest in his concerns, and it seems more and more evident by his behavoir that we can see why, and would probably do the same.


Sure, in a perfect world, the shop should either trot out his old skis, or ship them or whatever, but it looks to me that the shop is trying to send a message that maybe he should start going elsewhere with his dubious claims on comped equipment.

And, by the way, I'm fairly certain that the shop owners chiming in here are doing OK, and command a fair amount of respect in this community in the way they do business, so I wouldn't jump to too many conclusions about how and what they're doing.


Maybe those guys are pissed because they are close to going down, and that creats a lot of stress for any owner.

Maybe they're not and just want to get rid of a parasite.

I'm I wrong?

Yes, yes, and yes. Trifecta!
 
post #45 of 51
Guroo, point taken.  Well said.

Snofun, I think you are going off!   Maybe YOU need to go back, and read the whole thing.   He said his club paid for the stuff, not the shop.   He took the sledged pair back, not knowing his friend had done it.

Anyway the point is:  The shop could not find his skis, and THEY took them back!  Shops problem.  End of story.

I have not dissed any shop, as I have not dropped any names.   I'm just pointing out that some people are being mean to this guy, and it makes them look as bad as him in my opinion.
post #46 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post

I'm not sure why so many people are getting upset with you. 

If I read correctly, you said you got your stuff cheep because "the club" helped to foot the bills.  Not that the shop gave them to you.
Am I wrong?

You also said that it was after the fact, that a friend fessed up to dropping the sledge on the ski edge.  Prior to the confession, you did not know.  I could see how, after you got those replaced, he then felt he could tell you the truth, since you had another pair now.  (kids)
Am I wrong?

I'm going on memory now, I'm not going back, and reading all this again now.

It seems those getting pissed are in the business.  If they are so mad, well, maybe they have had too many bad experiences at there places.  That's too bad.  But that's their shoulder chip, and they choose to be in it.  These people don't seem like good business people to me.  Seems like they hate people.  The best shops will always do well, because they always treat their customers well.  That way nobody ever says anything bad about them ever.  Retail will always have returns etc..   It's how they are handled that can make, or break a business.  Maybe those guys are pissed because they are close to going down, and that creates a lot of stress for any owner.

I still feel that all the other stuff is irrelevant to the case.  Just like the court of law. 
I'm I wrong?

I race independently, so there was no club. There was company that backs me that took care of the bills. I do work for them for time to time, but it is basically a sponsorship.

I had no idea that the kid dropped a sledge on them until the skis were shipped out of the shop. For all of those thinking shipping is a pain in the ass, it really isn't when you are less than 40 minutes from the Marker/Tecnica/Volkl/Blizzard/Nordica US distributor. The shop that I work with has a truck that they usually fill to the roof with warranty skis that they drive up to the distributor for warranty issues. I wasn't expecting anything back. My guy at the shop said that he would take them and see what he could do.

For all of you bitching about rediculous warranty claims, I saw a pair of Volkl AC40s a couple of years ago that got ran over by a truck that got replaced. I have seen 2004 Rossi SG skis that were on their last leg delaminate and get warranty replaced. I have seen alot of absurd ones. Like I said, I had no idea what happened to the skis (the damage looked like an edge separating from a ski, which can happen from skiing relatively hard). I brought them in, was told to leave em there, and new ones came back.



Anyway, I went over to the shop today, and had no intention of even mentioning the SL skis. I was originally going to just stop in and say hi to the crew, but I had a relatively big issue that just came up (GS skis delaminated on the hill less than an hour before), and wanted to see if there was any quick fix available. The shop techs took the skis and looked at them for a few minutes, then the owner (the guy that I deal with) came over and said "ouch". He took a look at them, then said that I shouldn't be racing on them this weekend. He dissapeared for a few minutes, and came back with a pair of Nordica GS skis and another pair (couldn't tell what they were because they were bases up). He gave the the Nordicas and said that I could take them for the week until I get my other pair mounted or get my current GS skis fixed. The other pair was the Volkl SL skis. He told me that he talked to Volkl earlier last week (before I started shooting emails), and that they had indeed lost my skis. They gave him a credit for a new pair for next season, and I was to get this seasons ski off the rack from his store.

So, lessons learned. It is possible for a ski company to completely loose/misplace a pair of skis, and don't second guess your shop when it comes to stuff like this.
post #47 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post

Guroo, point taken.  Well said.

Snofun, I think you are going off!   Maybe YOU need to go back, and read the whole thing.   He said his club paid for the stuff, not the shop.   He took the sledged pair back, not knowing his friend had done it.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise To The Top View Post

I race independently, so there was no club. There was company that backs me that took care of the bills. I do work for them for time to time, but it is basically a sponsorship.
 

Umm, who should reread? Comped means....oh, nevermind..............
post #48 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise To The Top View Post




I race independently, so there was no club. There was company that backs me that took care of the bills. I do work for them for time to time, but it is basically a sponsorship.

I had no idea that the kid dropped a sledge on them until the skis were shipped out of the shop. For all of those thinking shipping is a pain in the ass, it really isn't when you are less than 40 minutes from the Marker/Tecnica/Volkl/Blizzard/Nordica US distributor. The shop that I work with has a truck that they usually fill to the roof with warranty skis that they drive up to the distributor for warranty issues. I wasn't expecting anything back. My guy at the shop said that he would take them and see what he could do.

For all of you bitching about rediculous warranty claims, I saw a pair of Volkl AC40s a couple of years ago that got ran over by a truck that got replaced. I have seen 2004 Rossi SG skis that were on their last leg delaminate and get warranty replaced. I have seen alot of absurd ones. Like I said, I had no idea what happened to the skis (the damage looked like an edge separating from a ski, which can happen from skiing relatively hard). I brought them in, was told to leave em there, and new ones came back.



Anyway, I went over to the shop today, and had no intention of even mentioning the SL skis. I was originally going to just stop in and say hi to the crew, but I had a relatively big issue that just came up (GS skis delaminated on the hill less than an hour before), and wanted to see if there was any quick fix available. The shop techs took the skis and looked at them for a few minutes, then the owner (the guy that I deal with) came over and said "ouch". He took a look at them, then said that I shouldn't be racing on them this weekend. He dissapeared for a few minutes, and came back with a pair of Nordica GS skis and another pair (couldn't tell what they were because they were bases up). He gave the the Nordicas and said that I could take them for the week until I get my other pair mounted or get my current GS skis fixed. The other pair was the Volkl SL skis. He told me that he talked to Volkl earlier last week (before I started shooting emails), and that they had indeed lost my skis. They gave him a credit for a new pair for next season, and I was to get this seasons ski off the rack from his store.

So, lessons learned. It is possible for a ski company to completely loose/misplace a pair of skis, and don't second guess your shop when it comes to stuff like this.

 

If there's one thing I like about this guy, and I'm pretty sure there's only one, it's that he doesn't get all wrapped up in our accusations, bantering, or get all defensive.  That takes a lot on here.  If you don't believe me, read "why do people think east coast skiing sucks?!?"
post #49 of 51
OK, I was wrong about the "Club"  You said "Company".   My point was that the shop was paid for the stuff.   It's not like the shop gave them to you, or sponsored you.   Oh well, I hope you got it all worked out now.  That's all that really matters.  

Looks like people don't like me on this deal either!   I just hate to see people getting pushed around.   Be good, and well, no ski is indestructible!

I almost can't believe you are saying you took more skis back here, after all the railing you got here!  But it sounds like they are taking good care of you now.  

Good skiing to you!
post #50 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post

OK, I was wrong about the "Club"  You said "Company".   My point was that the shop was paid for the stuff.   It's not like the shop gave them to you, or sponsored you.   Oh well, I hope you got it all worked out now.  That's all that really matters.  

Looks like people don't like me on this deal either!   I just hate to see people getting pushed around.   Be good, and well, no ski is indestructible!

I almost can't believe you are saying you took more skis back here, after all the railing you got here!  But it sounds like they are taking good care of you now.  

Good skiing to you!

They have always taken care of me, and have done a real good job. I just didn't believe the "they lost your skis" story, esp after the incident that occurred up at the shop a few weeks before I was told that they had been lost.
post #51 of 51
This is not as rare as readers might think. 

I delamned a pair of G4's back in '02 and sent them back via RA. That RA # was kept in Volkl's file, and showed a replacement was shipped back to my shop. BUT- no paperwork or signature of arrival. Nothing. I was out of the country for 2 months, knew they had been shipped and figured my shop would hang onto them (being as I worked at the resort where the shop was and knew the guys.) 

I was wrong. They, in my best guess, were stolen by a shopman. No record of delivery = free skis to some loser. What cued me off to the fact that they were stolen is that absolutely nobody could account for them. 

Volkl covered the loss and gave me a new pair of goats that I still have because no G4s existed anymore. But it wasn't easy. I was on the phone daily with the warranty department. I'll buy Volkl again for how well they treated me. 

I've worked retail. I've seen employees checking for gear that didn't have a paper trail. Some dirtbags work gigs for the sole purpose of the illegal benefits. "I got a job at Bob's (Bozeman) because they don't inventory anything." 

I've had two pairs of skis stolen in my life. Both were from locations that only friends/colleagues could access. One pair was from the ski team locker room. The other pair was from my home mtn's shop. Just reading RTTT's first post brought back some memories. 

Someone stole your skis, dude. Skis don't get lost. They're not socks. 
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › What should I do if a ski shop lost a pair of my skis that were out for warranty?