New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to N17 bindings?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
 Please excuse my naivete, but I came across my dads set of skis which he had Nevada Look N17 bindings on, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to use them, specifically the heel mechanism. How does it lock in the boot?
post #2 of 15
 Paging Rossi Smash...Rossi Smash to the white courtesy phone please. 
post #3 of 15
If a picture is worth a thousand words...what's a video worth??? 

Anyway, while these are the later Look 99RS, the operation of the heel piece is the same.

Watch him click in....

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=YCCIuGYiqdk


And in case there are some "younger" skiers out there that don't know what the hell we're talking about....here's a pic, state of the art in the late 60's and still  fine for me to ski on today.
post #4 of 15

I picked up a pair of interesting skis from a garage sale recently (pics below) and they also have LOOK Nevada N17 bindings!  And, like andrewwaldo, I was similarly mystified as to how to click in.  Thanks for the video, Rossi Smash!  (How ironic:  I even have a VHS of Hot Dog the Movie and didn't notice the bindings were the same! :-)

 

Now, my next two questions are:  1) how do you adjust them to the length of your boot sole? and 2) are the numbers for the tension calibrated the same was as modern DIN values or are they something else?  If different, what settings should I try to get around a DIN 5 for a first attempt on these without crippling myself?  (360 spins here we come!!! :-)

 

DSCF4461.JPGDSCF4463.JPG

DSCF4464.JPG

DSCF4481.JPG

DSCF4469.JPG

post #5 of 15



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by renenkel View Post

I picked up a pair of interesting skis from a garage sale recently (pics below) and they also have LOOK Nevada N17 bindings!  And, like andrewwaldo, I was similarly mystified as to how to click in.  Thanks for the video, Rossi Smash!  (How ironic:  I even have a VHS of Hot Dog the Movie and didn't notice the bindings were the same! :-)

 

Now, my next two questions are:  1) how do you adjust them to the length of your boot sole? and 2) are the numbers for the tension calibrated the same was as modern DIN values or are they something else?  If different, what settings should I try to get around a DIN 5 for a first attempt on these without crippling myself?  (360 spins here we come!!! :-)

 

DSCF4463.JPG

 

 

 



First off, the missing Teflon insert (afd) needs to be replaced before you can do anything with these.

 

After you solve that problem, I can walk you though the rest. And these are pre-DIN, therefore the numbers are only a scale of the relative release force.

 

post #6 of 15

Didn't the N-17 heels have a plastic clip that screwed into the boot heel where the roller pivoted?

post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider View Post

Didn't the N-17 heels have a plastic clip that screwed into the boot heel where the roller pivoted?



slider, yes, but not needed with plastic boots. These were because the leather boot welt would deform and not provide a good purchase for the roller.

 

heel piece.jpg

 

post #8 of 15

Thanks, Rossi Smash.  Now that you point it out, I noticed there's another teflon pad missing on the toe part (pic below).  Do you know of a source for teflon that would be suitable for me to make replacements from?  Also, what sort of glue sticks to teflon???

DSCF4478.JPG

post #9 of 15

You may purchase sheets of Teflon material in various thicknesses, 6" x 6" or bigger from McMaster-Carr.

 

www.mcmaster.com

 

Start with Catalog #8545K1 to find the basic area to search.

 

As for adhesive, I've had good luck, after roughing up the two surfaces, with contact cement.


Edited by Rossi Smash - 3/23/11 at 7:03am
post #10 of 15

I just finished rebuilding two pairs of these bindings.  I completly dismantled them and washed out all the old grease and ran them in an ultra sonic parts washer to get all the small grit out.  Make sure that the rollers spin freely.  you can spray them with some tri-flow or similar and work it down in on the axle. 

 

Also I'm still looking for a black heal plate the same style as the ones in your pics.  Anyone?

 

Royal

post #11 of 15

LOVED the video from Hot Dog.  I especially liked the way he blew into his goggles (guaranteed to fog 'em right up) and wrapped his pole straps so his thumb sat on top (guaranteed to dislocate your thumb when you go down).

post #12 of 15

OP, if you value your knees then you will not use these bindings unless you have a parts bin and also know how to set them up. For instance, you will notice from the pics that there are different sized heel blocks. This is because the distance between the heel bocks needs to be adjusted to match the width of the ski boot. Too narrow and the boot won't fit, too wide and your heel will move side to side while you ski. Metal fatigue is another potential problem-- The heel arms are prone to breaking right where they curve and attach to the turntable.

 

N17s are a lot more finicky  to set up than say the later version, the N77, and therefore IMHO very risky to use by someone who is not knowledgeable about them. Bindings are a safety device and using 35+ year old safety equipment at whatever speed going down a mountain is not something that I would ever do.

post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tch View Post

LOVED the video from Hot Dog.  I especially liked the way he blew into his goggles (guaranteed to fog 'em right up) and wrapped his pole straps so his thumb sat on top (guaranteed to dislocate your thumb when you go down).

You'd better take a lesson.  He puts his hand through the straps properly.
 

 

post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi Smash View Post





slider, yes, but not needed with plastic boots. These were because the leather boot welt would deform and not provide a good purchase for the roller.

 

heel piece.jpg

 


I beg to disagree.  The N17 binding always works better with the heel protecter, even on plastic boots.  Without it, the roller is wobbly and less stable.  When we mounted them in our shop we always used the heel protector with plastic boots.

 

post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by renenkel View Post

Thanks, Rossi Smash.  Now that you point it out, I noticed there's another teflon pad missing on the toe part (pic below).  Do you know of a source for teflon that would be suitable for me to make replacements from?  Also, what sort of glue sticks to teflon???

DSCF4478.JPG

 

Darn....  I used to have a bunch of the adhesive backed teflon wing pads (they were notorious for falling off), but I just checked my parts box and couldn't find them.  If they turn up I'd be happy to send you a few.
 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion