EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Jacket help: Skiing and Walking around NYC in winter
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Jacket help: Skiing and Walking around NYC in winter

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Hi,
I'm 20 years old and my mom said that she wants to get me a jacket for Xmas =D.  I don't really have a good waterproof/windproof jacket right now and i need one for 1) Skiing in the Northeast and 2) walking around NYC in the bitter cold.  She said that $450 is pretty much the budget limit on this one.  So now i have a few questions.

Insulated Vs. Shell:  I know that just a hardshell is probably better for skiing, but how will it hold up in the city?  Do you guys use your shells just walking around on a cold winter day?  This is my number 1 concern

Brand:  Which one should i go with for that price range?

Material: eVent?  Gore? which one???

Thanks for your help.
post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordAws View Post

Hi,
I'm 20 years old and my mom said that she wants to get me a jacket for Xmas =D.  I don't really have a good waterproof/windproof jacket right now and i need one for 1) Skiing in the Northeast and 2) walking around NYC in the bitter cold.  She said that $450 is pretty much the budget limit on this one.  So now i have a few questions.

Insulated Vs. Shell:  I know that just a hardshell is probably better for skiing, but how will it hold up in the city?  Do you guys use your shells just walking around on a cold winter day?  This is my number 1 concern

Brand:  Which one should i go with for that price range?

Material: eVent?  Gore? which one???

Thanks for your help.

Arcteryx Fission AR. Problem solved.
post #3 of 13
Good grief.  $450 for a parka?  For walking around the city?  And skiing inbounds?

It sounds like you're more interested in fashion than practicality.  I can't help you here.
post #4 of 13
For walking around, try www.sportsmansguide.com for a Swedish military winter parka: $40.  For $20 more you can get the matching insulated pants.  You could ski in it, but probably not at Beaver Creek or Deer Valet. 
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
I didn't realize there would be a reason not to get top quality products if i had the funds to do so.  Anyway thanks for the suggestion of the Fission AR looks like a dope jacket.
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post

Good grief.  $450 for a parka?  For walking around the city?  And skiing inbounds?

Dood.  You're in Michigan.   NYC gets bitter cold.  

post #7 of 13
Check out Backcountry for anything Cloudveil makes that catches your fancy. The Parol Parka is warm and handsome in a functional way. If you are near  a TJ's check there. I got mine there for $150 - less than half retail. Then put the extra $300 in a retirement account. You will have that cash looooong after the jacket is a lost memory.
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex View Post




Dood.  You're in Michigan.   NYC gets bitter cold.  






 


For sure.  This time of year in Michigan has a Caribbean vibe to it...
post #9 of 13
Arc'Teryx

or Nau if you are looking for something a little more suited to the wilds of Mannahatta
http://www.nau.com/za/NAU?PAGE=product&REFID=307M205
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiRider View Post

For sure.  This time of year in Michigan has a Caribbean vibe to it...
 

Well, there were some kids skiing in T-shirts on Saturday. 

But I digress.  It never ever gets as bitter cold here as it does in NYC.  (c:
post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
I don't ever remember asking for advice on how to spend my money.  i asked for advice for a baller jacket.  I got a suggestion with the Arc and i'm thankful.  If you don't have any actual input then please don't post? If i want to blow some cash on a sweet jacket then i will i just want to know which one is the best.  Thanks to those who decided to post something useful.
post #12 of 13

In general, for walking around the city, I'm much happier with a parka than my shell.

Goretex? eVent? I've owned jackets and shells with several different waterproof/breathable fabrics. Granted, I rarely ski in the pouring rain, but all seemed to work equally well in the waterproof department. As far as breathability goes, they would have been unbearable for skiing (or anything else athletic) without pit zips or some other kind of venting.

Beyond that, I think it's hard to give you much useful advice. Just like skis, helmets, etc. there are plenty of good waterproof/breathable jackets out there (many for much less than $450), but it's really a question of fit (every manufacturer, and sometimes different models by the same manufacturer are cut differently) and what features you're looking for (hood, pockets, etc.).

If you're in NYC, go to a place like Paragon that, while pricey, has a big selection. Get some idea of what's out there, then shop on line.

post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by garylk View Post

In general, for walking around the city, I'm much happier with a parka than my shell.

Granted, I rarely ski in the pouring rain, but all seemed to work equally well in the waterproof department. As far as breathability goes, they would have been unbearable for skiing (or anything else athletic) without pit zips or some other kind of venting.
 


Well, I do ski in the pouring rain (too stubborn to come in) and the basic waterproof/breathable fabrics like GoreTex, HellyTech, etc seem to work adequately well.  Be aware that the waterproofing does wear off after a season or two and needs to be re-applied.

Agree that pit zips are a must for any ski parka.  The rest is not all that critical for casual in-bounds usage - ski clothing is mostly fashion.  My experience is that a light-to-medium insulated parka is best if you're just going to have one parka/shell.

I almost never wear my ski parka for just walking around - the exception being fly-to vacations where luggage is limited. Something like what crudmeister suggests or from the llbean catalog is sufficient.  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Jacket help: Skiing and Walking around NYC in winter