tried them for 4 days and what a blast! never skied a rockered ski or anything this fat and they are fun as hell.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- AC50s vs Gotamas Last post on 6/7/10 at 2:37pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- what length for volkl gotama? Last post on 12/26/09 at 10:46pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- Dynastar Legend Pro Rider or... Last post on 12/13/10 at 4:14pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- Dynastar Contact 4X4 revisited, the 172cm size on ice. Last post on 1/26/11 at 3:50am in Member Gear Reviews
- Blizzard Argos and my two Volkls (Gotama & Mantra) Last post on 4/8/09 at 8:53pm in Member Gear Reviews
2011 Big Mountain Ski Reviews By Dawgcatching
Last edited: 4/25/11
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
2010 Gotamas - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Speed limit, well i wasn't tucking groomers on them but I noticed that I could rip thick chunky spring slop WAY faster than anything else I rented in the mornings on my trip. It took some getting used to because I am not use to blasting super G turns down thick chunked up mashed potatos, generally I have to keep my speed a little more in check and be very agressive in my turns, (which is fun as hell). But with the gotamas it was like the conditions didn't exist, I was skiing on steep chunk but felt almost like I was skiing on a slightly bumpy groomer.
Demo, demo demo.
Ski's I like
Want to try the Volkl bridge to see how it compares to the mantra. And no I am not a Volkl fan, it's just totally wierd that I happen to like all the ski's that they make. Seriously.... but after this weekend of skiing I am starting to think that they are putting out some great ski's.
Gotama 2010/2011 ski was the best mid-fat ski i tested all season long, on the groomers they were really confidence inspiring and were stable at speed and in waist deep powder they were great fun, could even ski a zipper line with them with no problems as well.
If i could find it in my heart to sell my pocket rockets then these would be the direct replacement of choice as a mid-fat all mountain ski.
Slider, You asked about speed on Gotamas - I am 55, intermed-advanced skier, but not great. Skied this year on 2010 Gotama 184 on a heavy snow day with a bunch of 18-23 year olds that are all very fast and on ski teams. The snow was not expected and they were all skiing their normal all mountian skis for a fun day. During the snow I had to wait at the bottom of each run, and my lead got better as the moguls built. On normal days I have trouble keeping up with them in any conditions after about 3-4 runs..... The gotams are fast, actually pretty quick and easy to manuver, and forgiving for a ski of this performance.
They are good on hardpack, and OK on ice. You have noticably less feel on ice and can get a lot of chatter depending on how much edge you use, but it is managable.
In the late spring they were also a lot of fun on afternoon heavy snow....
I am very happy and would recomemnd them... Hope this helps...
Well, time for an update. I'm on the 2011 Gotamas now because they warrantied my 2010 due to failure at the top sheet. The 2011's top sheet is much more durable.
Still love these things. I had a chance last winter to ski them in bumps, crud and about a foot or so of powder (I ski in Maine, so a foot or so is good). No doubt, crud and powder is where these skis are the most fun. I get a lot of funny looks from people on the chair when they see these things. They always ask me if they are powder skis. I tell them, "Surprisingly, they work almost everywhere. Not sure they believe me though.
I noticed people here asking if they carve and if they are fast. I'm certainly no pro, but I can get them on edge pretty easy. It takes a bit of patience to get them over, and others were right, it takes a more neutral stance. I was getting forward before and it was fine, but centered seems a bit better. I brought my Garmin with me this season, and so far I have recorded a high of 45mph. Fast enough for this old guy.
Definitely softer in the shovel. But it helps you when you want to go from a 25 meter radius, to let's say, 15 meters :)
I got the goats in 186cm (mounted -1 with Marker Jesters) and I skied the 2010 Gotamas for 40+ days last season in New Zealand.
Stats: 28 years old, 80kg and 5 foot 10, been skiing for about 15years.
They were solid in all powder lines and the steeper it got the better they skied. In heavier crud / cut up fresh / variable they blasted through / over and under it all effortlessly, no catching and stable. On the groomers i found them suprisingly good, considering the dimensions, and it was a lot of fun initiating turns at higher speeds and throwing them from edge to edge.
I really could not fault these ski's except of course they're not anyone's first choice for the park.
Another great ski out there that really works as one ski quiver :)
I,ve gpt a pair of 178's for SALE
Used last season. Top sheets have a few dings, but the bases are sweet.
I you want them let me know.....send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
ship from Bellingham, WA.
- 2010 Gotamas
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Ski Instructor Demo: Short video of TDK skiing in St Anton 15 seconds ago
- › What do you take when resort skiing? 5 minutes ago
- › Cons and Pros. Atomic Vantage cti 90 vs Nordica Enforcer 93 7 minutes ago
- › Rate my workout! 15 minutes ago
- › Race Boot Recommendations 42 minutes ago
- › Kids boot sizing 45 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Northeast Region — Weather, Stoke, Craic . . . 1 hour, 7 minutes ago
- › fischer skis the new curve or progressors 1 hour, 17 minutes ago
- › How do i go from snow plow to a complete parallel turn? 1 hour, 17 minutes ago
- › Holiday Valley, Seven Springs, Snowshoe, Bristol Lets Meetup! 1 hour, 29 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer