EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › 2009 Blizzard Magnum 8.1 versus 2010 Magnum 8.1 ti Difference?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2009 Blizzard Magnum 8.1 versus 2010 Magnum 8.1 ti Difference?

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
I posted in another thread about looking for a new ski for this year. One of the skis I have researched a little (with suggestions from this board) are the Blizzard Magnum 8.1's

I can get a pair of 2009 models for quite a bit less than 2010's but did they make any changes (other than cosmetic) to the ski/binding setup for 2010 that should be considered before looking closer at the 09's? I am alos looking hard at the 2010 AC30's. in a 170  the Blizzard in a 172 I am 5'10" 218#. Expert skier.

Thanks
post #2 of 8
Thread Starter 
As I look A little deeper, it looks like the ski itself is the same. The graphics are obviously different, but the dimensions are the same. The binding model is definetly different though. Both IQ setups but different models. The 2010 model is 899 anf I can score the 2009 for 499. What do you guys think? Is there more than this?

I haven't bought or really looked at skis in a long time, so all these names/ technolgy are a bit overwhelming.

Thanks

 
post #3 of 8
The structure of the ski is the same except for a wider track to accomodate the new binding system. There is no appreciable difference in the way they ski. Here is a link to a reveiw of the '09 version. The size tested was 172.

shop.starthaus.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp

SJ
post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 
Thanks for your help today Jim. Looking forward to the new skis! Curious, with the 09' 5.14's, if I ever need to replace a broken binding, what options do I have? I see with the new wider MAX system, they have a plate available to adapt any binding, what about the older 5.14 can you get just the bindings seperately. 4.12's? Others?  I know I will probably never do it, just curious.

Doug
post #5 of 8
The 2010 slider and/or IQ max systems will not fit the older skis. I know that Blizzard has a small number of bindings for warranty inventory but I'm sure it's not very much.

SJ
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post

The 2010 slider and/or IQ max systems will not fit the older skis. I know that Blizzard has a small number of bindings for warranty inventory but I'm sure it's not very much.

SJ

Jim,

I was told the exact opposite by the territory rep: completely new ski (softer tip, different layup) for 2010, but the 8.7 was not changed. Was he/I incorrect?  We had both the 2009 and 2010 on the wall last month, and if I remember correctly, the 2010 felt much softer when flexing it by hand.  Currently, we only have 179's in the 2009 and only 172/165 in 2010 model, so I can't re-check.  It has been so long since I have skied the 2009 version (spring of 2008, before I broke my leg) that I really can't say either way.
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgcatching View Post




Jim,

I was told the exact opposite by the territory rep: completely new ski (softer tip, different layup) for 2010, but the 8.7 was not changed. Was he/I incorrect?  We had both the 2009 and 2010 on the wall last month, and if I remember correctly, the 2010 felt much softer when flexing it by hand.  Currently, we only have 179's in the 2009 and only 172/165 in 2010 model, so I can't re-check.  It has been so long since I have skied the 2009 version (spring of 2008, before I broke my leg) that I really can't say either way.

Scott:

Well you how it is when a rep tells you something/anything................

Seriously though, I was told that both the 8.1 and the 8.7 had the same layup as '09 except for the wider track. I don't have any '10 8.1's to check as I just concentrated on the 8.7 for this year. I do have a few of the 8.7 174's from each year and will check tomorrow when I go in but for sure, the 8.7's skied the same to me. Interestingly though, they said the Cronus was the same and yet I felt like the 173 Cronus for sure and maybe the 180 as well skied slightly beefier.

Only the shadow knows for sure.........................

SJ
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post




Scott:

Well you how it is when a rep tells you something/anything................

Seriously though, I was told that both the 8.1 and the 8.7 had the same layup as '09 except for the wider track. I don't have any '10 8.1's to check as I just concentrated on the 8.7 for this year. I do have a few of the 8.7 174's from each year and will check tomorrow when I go in but for sure, the 8.7's skied the same to me. Interestingly though, they said the Cronus was the same and yet I felt like the 173 Cronus for sure and maybe the 180 as well skied slightly beefier.

Only the shadow knows for sure.........................

SJ
 
Found a 2009 8.1 in 179 to compare to this year's 179 (I wasn't aware we had that length upstairs). Here is what we observed:

1) camber is definitely greater on the 2009 version
2) tip layup is 2mm thicker on the 2009 version (8.1mm vs. 6.1mm on the 2010, according to the analog caliper)
3) the tip on the 2010 feels much softer than the 2009: both Kevin and I came to the same conclusion with that one.

I remember that the old 8.1 was pretty stiff on the snow (again, it has been nearly 2 years since I skied it), and this year's had much more energy, which would make sense if they softened it up for a guy of my weight. 
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › 2009 Blizzard Magnum 8.1 versus 2010 Magnum 8.1 ti Difference?