EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Blizzard Twin Tips/Freeride Skis
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Blizzard Twin Tips/Freeride Skis

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
New here to Epic and looking for some help.  First post and I'll do my best not to mess it up.

About me:  I am 25, 5'9, 170 pounds and have been skiing for about 4 years.  I ski mostly blues and single blacks so I think that would around a level 6/7?  I spend about 10% in the park hitting some jumps, 60% on piste, and 30% off piste.  It is finally time to pony up and pick up my own set of skis.

Previously Used:  I typically use my friends Blizzard Sigma Titan Sevens or rent whenever I ski.  I do like them, but just wish they were wider underfoot (I think they are in the mid 70s.)  Don't think they classify as true twins and are more of a free-ride type of ski.

Important: Mid-fat all mountain free-ride/twin, 80-90mm under foot, solid edge grip for east coast hard pack, stable, easy to initiate turns, makes all types of turns, will float in some powder/crud....and FUN & VERSATILE!  My form is improving and I am trying to get better so I do want a ski that is going to be somewhat forgiving and not too demanding.  Also something that I can grow into a bit.

Looking for:  Since I have experience with Blizzard's and have gotten used to them, I would prefer to stick to something in their lineup or something that is at least very similar and would fit what I am looking for.  In the current Blizzard offerings I am not sure if I would be looking at The Reason or the Titan Cronus to best fit what I am looking for...or maybe neither!


Thanks.
post #2 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTTwin View Post

New here to Epic and looking for some help.  First post and I'll do my best not to mess it up.

About me:  I am 25, 5'9, 170 pounds and have been skiing for about 4 years.  I ski mostly blues and single blacks so I think that would around a level 6/7?  I spend about 10% in the park hitting some jumps, 60% on piste, and 30% off piste.  It is finally time to pony up and pick up my own set of skis.

Previously Used:  I typically use my friends Blizzard Sigma Titan Sevens or rent whenever I ski.  I do like them, but just wish they were wider underfoot (I think they are in the mid 70s.)  Don't think they classify as true twins and are more of a free-ride type of ski.

Important: Mid-fat all mountain free-ride/twin, 80-90mm under foot, solid edge grip for east coast hard pack, stable, easy to initiate turns, makes all types of turns, will float in some powder/crud....and FUN & VERSATILE!  My form is improving and I am trying to get better so I do want a ski that is going to be somewhat forgiving and not too demanding.  Also something that I can grow into a bit.

Looking for:  Since I have experience with Blizzard's and have gotten used to them, I would prefer to stick to something in their lineup or something that is at least very similar and would fit what I am looking for.  In the current Blizzard offerings I am not sure if I would be looking at The Reason or the Titan Cronus to best fit what I am looking for...or maybe neither!


Thanks.




 


Blizzard Answer or Line Prophet 90/100 in a 179.  Should be perfect.  I started your search about 2 months ago and that is the info I have come up with. 
post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 
My only concern about the Answer is that it is 110 underfoot which seems to be much wider than I am looking for and is going to be much slower edge to edge. Thats why I was looking at The Reason since its 85 underfoot.  Would you say that the Blizzard twins are more of a park and pipe type of twin or more of an all mountain?
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTTwin View Post

My only concern about the Answer is that it is 110 underfoot which seems to be much wider than I am looking for and is going to be much slower edge to edge. Thats why I was looking at The Reason since its 85 underfoot.  Would you say that the Blizzard twins are more of a park and pipe type of twin or more of an all mountain?
I honestly don't know a ton about Blizzards.  Sierra Jim is the one to ask about specifics on Blizzard skis.  Based on his review of the Answer, I thought it might fit the bill.  You have quite the contradiction in your demands in that you want something to grip east coast ice, and float in some powder.  I chose to go bigger on the Answer recommendation and the Prophet 100 recommendation based on the fact that ice isn't all that fun period, on any ski, and powder is, so why not enjoy the other end of your demanded spectrum.  F ice, but then again I live in Colorado.  The Line Prophet 100 is supposed to be the most versatile ski on the market, and one of the most lively.  I'm recommending it to any and every one of the newbies that come on here asking, "what is the best twin tip for edge grip on groomed and floating in powder."  Mostly because I was recently that guy, and other bears were nice enough to recommend this beautiful and versitile ski.
post #5 of 18
Thread Starter 

Really appreciate the insight and will look into the Prophet 90.  Wasn't trying to contradict myself, but I know what you are saying.  Just figured that a mid-fat all mountain twin/freeride ski would give me SOME floatation in powder, but I am not really asking for it to excel in that category since I would be on the ice coast the majority of the time.  I am willing to sacrifice some floatation for some edge grip and a shorter/medium turn radius which is why I am looking in that mid-fat category to start with.  I know I can't have it all...unless I save up and buy a few sets of skis!

Sierra Jim - Can you offer any assistance on the Blizzard skis?

 

post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTTwin View Post

Really appreciate the insight and will look into the Prophet 90.  Wasn't trying to contradict myself, but I know what you are saying.  Just figured that a mid-fat all mountain twin/freeride ski would give me SOME floatation in powder, but I am not really asking for it to excel in that category since I would be on the ice coast the majority of the time.  I am willing to sacrifice some floatation for some edge grip and a shorter/medium turn radius which is why I am looking in that mid-fat category to start with.  I know I can't have it all...unless I save up and buy a few sets of skis!

Sierra Jim - Can you offer any assistance on the Blizzard skis?

 


Yes, defer to SJ, as I cannot understand that mind set.  No offense.

Sierra Jim can offer assistance on the Blizzard skis.  Do a search for the skis, then click on the gear review and his full write up is below them.  If you are lazy like me, do a search for the skis on youtube.  his reviews are on there as well.
post #7 of 18
Thread Starter 
None taken! 

Everything I have read about the Prophet 90s sounds very favorable and a great starting point.  The reviews on The Answer are also positive, but I think its going to be a little too wide.

I have yet to find any reviews of The Reason.
post #8 of 18
The Answer is great (we have a pair in our demo fleet) but isn't your answer (no pun intended) if you need much hard snow grip.  It is a bit scary if you lay it over on firm snow at speed, (it skids OK though).  Not really a frontside ski unless you are just getting back to the lift.  The Cronus is right in there though, and even the Atlas does very well on firmer snow. A little slower edge to edge than the Cronus, but still laterally stiff and once on edge, holds as well as any 95mm ski ever will.  You will find that something like the Atlas will be a great day-in/day-out ski for general skiing. If you are out West and you get that 2 foot+ dump, just rent a huge ski for the day.  For example, I have (in Oregon) around 7 days on the snow so far this season: 1 has been in around 6-8 inches of new, and the other 6 have been on hardpack: medium pack bumps, groomers, and packed off-piste snow, where the Atlas shines and the Answer is suspect at best.  You may get a storm cycle and then not see snow for a couple of weeks, which is why versatility is key if you want a ski that does a bit of everything.  Last year's Argos may also be decent, although it definitely is a bit more sluggish and big-turn oriented, lacking the energy of the Atlas. If it hasn't snowed recently, the Atlas is like 10x more fun in bumps, on groomers, and just ripping around at speed, and since you are only giving up 7mm underfoot  (less at the tip and tail) compared to last year's Argos, the float really isn't reduced in softer snow.  At my weight, the Atlas has good float up to, say 1 foot of moderate density snow, and is excellent in crud.  It would be my choice if I could only have 1 ski from the Blizzard lineup.  If I could have 2, it would probably be Answer and 8.1 MAX. I expect the Atlas to be our best selling Blizzi this season. 
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTTwin View Post



Sierra Jim - Can you offer any assistance on the Blizzard skis?

 


Not sure what you asking about specifically, but here are a few general views.

First off, the long reviews that I have linked to recently have referred to the '09 versions of the Argos, Answer and Magnums. In the case of the Magnums, I'd say that those reviews still pertain to the 2010's. In the case of the Answer and Argos, they really don't b/c the new versions are pretty different. the 2010 Argos is wider and has flat camber. It is stellar in crud and powder for it's width (105mm) and still works reasonably well on packed surfaces however, it does feel a little big. The Answer has a rather minimalist tip and tail rocker with a flat section underfoot and is even wider yet @ 110mm. This is a very fun ski for deep snow and crud but feels a little disconnected when you are on the packed stuff. This is a commonality with rockered skis in general and in fairness, the Answer is certainly better than most. You would have to prioritize deep snow pretty highly in order to consider either of these as an only ski. For what you are asking, I think both of these models are a little wide.

The Atlas and Cronus have conventional shapes with a kicktail and are more versatile skis when the broad spectrum of conditions are considered. The Cronus @ 88mm is an amazingly versatile ski for most any conditions. This years version is a little stiffer than in the past and it has a little more grip. This is a very nimble feeling ski that handles all but the hardest snow very well and is good in shallow powder and crud as well. The Atlas is wider @ 94mm is also great in shallow 3-D conditions but it has a metal layup so despite it's width, it is a little better than the Cronus on very hard snow. The Atlas is not quite as playful feeling as the Cronus but has a tad more stability and speed capability. I prefer all the Blizzard skis except the Magnums in the "slider" version which allows the use of any binding. I knew that I was going to get an Atlas or a Cronus this year and agonized a little over which one. Because it will be my primary ski, I eventually settled on the Atlas b/c I wanted the extry grip.

My own Atlas is in the car tonight and will get a few laps tomorrow. Despite the recent storm, Its a little soon for skiing off trail on new skis, so I think I'll keep them on the groomers until the next snowfall.

I have to fess up that I have not skied any of Blizzard's dedicated twins.

SJ
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post




Not sure what you asking about specifically, but here are a few general views.

First off, the long reviews that I have linked to recently have referred to the '09 versions of the Argos, Answer and Magnums. In the case of the Magnums, I'd say that those reviews still pertain to the 2010's. In the case of the Answer and Argos, they really don't b/c the new versions are pretty different. the 2010 Argos is wider and has flat camber. It is stellar in crud and powder for it's width (105mm) and still works reasonably well on packed surfaces however, it does feel a little big. The Answer has a rather minimalist tip and tail rocker with a flat section underfoot and is even wider yet @ 110mm. This is a very fun ski for deep snow and crud but feels a little disconnected when you are on the packed stuff. This is a commonality with rockered skis in general and in fairness, the Answer is certainly better than most. You would have to prioritize deep snow pretty highly in order to consider either of these as an only ski. For what you are asking, I think both of these models are a little wide.

The Atlas and Cronus have conventional shapes with a kicktail and are more versatile skis when the broad spectrum of conditions are considered. The Cronus @ 88mm is an amazingly versatile ski for most any conditions. This years version is a little stiffer than in the past and it has a little more grip. This is a very nimble feeling ski that handles all but the hardest snow very well and is good in shallow powder and crud as well. The Atlas is wider @ 94mm is also great in shallow 3-D conditions but it has a metal layup so despite it's width, it is a little better than the Cronus on very hard snow. The Atlas is not quite as playful feeling as the Cronus but has a tad more stability and speed capability. I prefer all the Blizzard skis except the Magnums in the "slider" version which allows the use of any binding. I knew that I was going to get an Atlas or a Cronus this year and agonized a little over which one. Because it will be my primary ski, I eventually settled on the Atlas b/c I wanted the extry grip.

My own Atlas is in the car tonight and will get a few laps tomorrow. Despite the recent storm, Its a little soon for skiing off trail on new skis, so I think I'll keep them on the groomers until the next snowfall.

I have to fess up that I have not skied any of Blizzard's dedicated twins.

SJ
 
You took the words right out of my mouth!  That is exactly how I felt about those skis.   I was looking hard at an Atlas as well, but decided to keep my other ski narrower, as I have the 1010 for any significant new snow, and didn't need something as wide as 94 for firm snow.
post #11 of 18
Thread Starter 
Thanks Sierra Jim and Dawgcatching.

Based on that I have eliminated The Answer from my list and will look into the Atlas.

SJ- I know that you said you have not been on a Blizzard twin, but do you have any information on The Reason?  I have not found any reviews and all I know is what is on the Blizzard website.  Seems that The Reason has the same construction as the Cronus but I can't tell if it is similar to The Answer in terms of having a minimalist tip and tail rocker, if its more of a park and pipe driven ski or more of an all mountain twin.
post #12 of 18
Dawg or jim, not to beat a dead horse, but how is the atlas on short radius turns?  On paper it looks a bit more "GS-ish" but we all know that does'nt mean anything.
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuzz View Post

Dawg or jim, not to beat a dead horse, but how is the atlas on short radius turns?  On paper it looks a bit more "GS-ish" but we all know that does'nt mean anything.

Whiiiinnnnny................

Yep, you're right, we all know that TR doesn't matter all that much. I had a sore throat today that felt like I'd swallowed broken glass so I just skied a little bit. I slapped down a few runs on my '08 Mantras and my new 2010 Atlas. Despite the paper similarities, they skied pretty differently with the difference being primarily back half flex.

With the Mantra I'd lay the ski over, the tip would hook up and start to pull. As the turn progressed, I'd be thinking........

"Hmmmm, that snow gun just leapt into my line, I'd better tighten up a bit.......(roll the ankle a bit)....hmmmm, that snow gun is still right there in front of me me and now it's getting closer (roll the ankle even more, move the outside ski forward)......ok, ok, I think I'm gonna miss it now but I'd better make sure.....(hit the back half of the ski a bit harder with my considerable bulk) whooops.......ok, well I missed the snow gun but now I'm heading for the trees."

With the Atlas I'd lay the ski over, the tip would engage and I'd be arcing toward the rise line......

"Hmmmm.....there's that snow gun again, (roll that ankle) and zip, I finish off the turn and am thumbing my schnozz at said snow gun as I wheel by. Oh....there's the tree line, I'll just roll a little left and roll a little right and pop off a couple turns as I slip back down the fall line again....no fuss, no muss........easy peazy."

So.....how is the Atlas in short turns? better than most mid 90's skis. It's a great blend of power tempered by easy, quick and nimble. Naturally, compared to skis in the 75-85mm range, it is just not as nimble......just the way it is.

SJ
post #14 of 18
Just got on my new Blizzard Atlas's today with the 2009/2010 Look Pivot mounted on the slider. Very pleased with the performance. Conditions were frozen granular with a light dusting on top. The ski held remarkably well entering & exiting the turns. Only my third day out but found the "sweet spot" after just a few turns. The new slider system to me is the best out there. Now I'm about to replace some skis & purchace Blizzards with the MAX configuration & slider to justify the cost of having only one  expensive binding for all my skis.
post #15 of 18
Today was my first day on my Blizzard Atlas's with my new 2009/2010 Look Pivot Bindings mounted on the slider. Conditions were frozen granular with a light dusting of new snow. The ski entered & exited the turns very smoothly & held exceptionally well on the very hard pack. The slider system to me is the absolute best, allowing me to own one expensive binding & switch to soon to be purchased Blizzard skis with slider configuration. Also, there is something to be said about getting back to the Look Binding that had been my choice for many years. It just brings confidence back at every turn
post #16 of 18
I am wondering about the Blizzard Reason, How does it compare to the Blizzard Cronus other than the slight dimensions difference? I know it is a park/pipe ski, but they say it is a good all mtn ski as well. Is the construction the same as the Cronus, and would it be stiffer or softer? (I'm looking at deals I have found for last years Reason and Cronus online).

I know that I like the K2 PE, which dimension wise is identical to the Reason except for being 2mm wider at tip and tail. Overall, the K2 PE I found to be pretty stiff for a park ski and if the Reason is about the same then I may go for it instead of the Cronus Like I was originally thinking.
post #17 of 18
 generally, if a ski is advertised as a park ski, it would be more flexible, and not as good on groomed.  then again, who gives a shh about groomed.  that's just me.
post #18 of 18
The K2 PE (or now the Extreme) has been the exception to a typical park ski. Most have considered it a well suited all mountian, including groomed, stiff rather powerful ski. I am looking for someone that knows if this is how the Reason (from Blizzard) would rank as well? I might even size up to the 185cm in the Reason, if that would make it more all mountain capable?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Blizzard Twin Tips/Freeride Skis