or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Recommendations on how to ski Breck in December?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Recommendations on how to ski Breck in December?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I am going to Breckenridge for the first time from December 17th to the 21st and would love recommendations on how to maximize my enjoyment.

I realize that Dec is still early for CO, but can anyone offer some recommendations on hidden gems or side country that is good to target this time of year?
post #2 of 11
Breckenridge is best skiied from top to bottom.
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post

Breckenridge is best skiied from top to bottom.

^^ I agree. Try the search function this subject has been discussed multiple times
post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
Come on, all mountains have their secrets. Im just looking for the best side country recommendations. I can get.

Ask me about MRG, Alta or Whistler, and I can write pages of such advice... Surely those who know breck can do the same.
post #5 of 11
I will be at Breck or at least at some CO ski hill at the same time.  I am hoping that we have an opportunity to look for some of those places you talk about.  Unless they get a ton of snow between now and then, our choices will be which groomed trail to ski (which is still good).  I am doing snow dances nightly and hope most of the lifts are open not only at Breck but the others as well.
The area behind the peak 9 restaurant is a favorite.  (E chair).
post #6 of 11
 And if you want something a bit more mellow but still fun...all the runs skiers right of 6 chair.  You'll likely have that area mostly to yourself.
post #7 of 11
I've had lots of fun on the C chair. There were no lift lines when I was there. Peerless and American both had bump lines which were easy enough to ski really aggressively to work on technique. They also had groomer lines for working on your GS chops. Some folks were doing gate practice on the right side of American, but since I wasn't invited, I didn't want to intrude.

If there's enough snow to allow it and you try the Peak 7 bowl, remember to cut over to the T-bar, or you'll end up on some kind of boring, kind of busy blues which lead to the Independence Superchair, which is usually busy.
post #8 of 11
It's hard to say what will be open at Breckenridge by mid-December.  As of this afternoon, there was still very little open, and skiing "top to bottom" is impossible unless you're on the ski patrol.  Six-chair, C-chair, E-chair, Independence Superchair, T-bar, and Peak 7 are not open. Coverage is still thin, though it is snowing a little right now and snow is predicted all week. With respect, you can totally forget about skiing "side-country" and our "secrets" in mid-December, unless you bring your AT gear and go out and ski true backcountry.
Edited by raspritz - 12/6/09 at 4:20pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosen View Post

Come on, all mountains have their secrets. Im just looking for the best side country recommendations. I can get.

Ask me about MRG, Alta or Whistler, and I can write pages of such advice... Surely those who know breck can do the same.




Quote:
Originally Posted by garyskr View Post

I will be at Breck or at least at some CO ski hill at the same time.  I am hoping that we have an opportunity to look for some of those places you talk about.  Unless they get a ton of snow between now and then, our choices will be which groomed trail to ski (which is still good).  I am doing snow dances nightly and hope most of the lifts are open not only at Breck but the others as well.
The area behind the peak 9 restaurant is a favorite.  (E chair).
 
This is a good hook up!
If Garyskr is there while you're there, you'd be well served to hook up with him.  He's skied Breck with some folks who know their way around and will likely be able to help you get the most out of the open terrain.
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosen View Post

I am going to Breckenridge for the first time from December 17th to the 21st and would love recommendations on how to maximize my enjoyment.

I realize that Dec is still early for CO, but can anyone offer some recommendations on hidden gems or side country that is good to target this time of year?

 


STONED ???? :-)
post #11 of 11
Read this...and ski with Gary--good egg and good skier too (and he always seems to have chocolate with him!).  Keep in mind snow's been a little sparse in CO to date, so here's hoping for snow storm-o-rama...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Recommendations on how to ski Breck in December?