New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Warm weather

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
Hard to believe with this warm weather that last year, the Saturday after Thanksgiving, I was skiing at Hunter and it was 75% open!  And conditions were decent!
post #2 of 24
So much for the colder than usual winter. I guess the snow will all be in the west this year
post #3 of 24
 The East can be fickle. I remember a couple season's back, most Eastern resorts never really got into full swing until early Janurary. I know the next couple of weeks don't look good in terms of temperatures below freeezing, but the forecats are hard to predict beyond five days. It appears there is some type of SE jet stream keeping the cold air out of the NE. The next 14 days show highs in the 40's and 50's, but that can change quickly. Sometimes you just have to wait a bit. Such is the luck of the draw. 
post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylrwnzl View Post

So much for the colder than usual winter. I guess the snow will all be in the west this year

We'll get ours, dont you worry....
post #5 of 24
 A year ago this past Friday, I was skiing 10-12" of powder with Johnnys Zoo at Snowshoe WV, the earliest I have skied in the mid-A in years (and arguably the best opening day conditions I've ever seen since moving here).  This year, I still have summer plants growing in my vegetable garden, and ski area openings have been pushed into early December (even that may slip).

On the other hand, if we can avoid the typical January thaw, it would be a fair trade.  Most eastern resorts crank up in Nov/Dec, only to see a good portion of snow loss in January.  Maybe we're getting that out of the way early this year.  Hard to say.  I guess I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I didn't have to complain about ski weather living in the east....
post #6 of 24
Don't fret.....I've lived east and west and it's a fair trade...........out west they get tons of snow but have serious water issues...........they have an expression out there "....liquors fer drinkin and waters fer fightin!...." I'll take plentiful water over snow any day! :-)
post #7 of 24
never heard that expression.  also never experienced water issues in 9 years of living in tahoe. 

i don't think they have issues in the PNW either... or utah, wyoming, montana, etc...

keep telling yourself that, though...
post #8 of 24
 Water issues are huge through the whole west.
post #9 of 24
Quote:
 
Water issues are huge through the whole west.

True. We have ditch riders in our country who decide who gets water to irrigate. The best place for a ranch has always been at the head of the creek. 
post #10 of 24
Wyoming is the 5th driest state in the US. The PNW has been hit with severe droughts in the past........Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Arizona, California, New Mexico and Nevada are all constantly involved in very serious water management legislation. Carson City which you can see from the slopes of Heavenly in Lake Tahoe has serious water management programs in place for their drought exposure and Sacramento was in a state of drought emergency. In early January, the US Department of Agriculture designated every county in Nevada and many in California as natural disaster areas due to drought.

Politicians are made and toppled based on water management out there.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahroy View Post


never heard that expression.  also never experienced water issues in 9 years of living in tahoe. 

i don't think they have issues in the PNW either... or utah, wyoming, montana, etc...

keep telling yourself that, though...

 
post #11 of 24
yeah, sure... that's great.  obviously i'm aware of these things, but i can't say any of that has ever affected me personally.

nor has it ever made me want to leave the west or rationalize that the east coast is better for it.

i doubt many skiers have moved east because of water issues and called it a fair trade, but i'm glad you're happy where you are.

i grew up in NH and have lived in the nyc, baltimore, and boston, and can safely say that the left coast is the best coast (at least for me).  if you're talking about skiing (this is a ski forum), it's a blatant no brainer. 

i also kinda like going from memorial day to labor day without substantial rain, which is fairly normal in tahoe.

troll troll troll your boat...
post #12 of 24
In the midwest it has been very warm for this time year. Almost always many of the hills are open by Thanksgiving. It hasn't even been cold enough to even make snow in 95% of the Midwest yet. 10 day forecast doesn't look to good either for snow making. I think alot of us here will be waiting until mid Dec. to get are first tracks in and that might be a dream.
Edited by skylolow - 11/22/09 at 7:28pm
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdnitedrftr View Post




We'll get ours, dont you worry....
My big ski trip up north for the year is in a month, which is my only real skiing I get to do, if the snow doesn't come soon none of the glades will have enough snow and the mountains will be packed with the limited ammount of trails open
post #14 of 24
 I was appalled to hear a bit on NPR about it being illegal, in CO, to use a rain barrel to collect water from the rain gutters on the roof of your house. 
post #15 of 24
Good Points!......I totally miss living out west.................I'm just jealous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahroy View Post


 that the left coast is the best coast (at least for me).  if you're talking about skiing (this is a ski forum), it's a blatant no brainer. 

i also kinda like going from memorial day to labor day without substantial rain, which is fairly normal in tahoe.

troll troll troll your boat...




 
post #16 of 24
I'd been looking forward to a good snow season, too -- then someone told me it's an El Nino year and a check of the NOAA site confirmed it.  Bummer.
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylolow View Post

In the midwest it has been very warm for this time year. Almost always many of the hills are open by Thanksgiving. It hasn't even been cold enough to even make snow in 95% of the Midwest yet. 10 day forecast doesn't look to good either for snow making. I think alot of us here will be waiting until mid Dec. to get are first tracks in and that might be a dream.

When I came back from my dive trip in mid October I thought for sure it was going to be an early start to the season.  It had been in the low to mid 40's.  Now here we are at the end of November and the local hill has yet to make snow.  I am thinking December 11th or 12th looks like the likely opening date.  That's not unusual by any means but we have been spoiled with Thanksgiving skiing the last 2 or 3 years.
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstreu1026 View Post




When I came back from my dive trip in mid October I thought for sure it was going to be an early start to the season.  It had been in the low to mid 40's.  Now here we are at the end of November and the local hill has yet to make snow.  I am thinking December 11th or 12th looks like the likely opening date.  That's not unusual by any means but we have been spoiled with Thanksgiving skiing the last 2 or 3 years.


Yeah I thought we'd be in for another good winter. Being up in WI we are almost always skiing by Thanksgiving or worse case usually by the first week in Dec.. But are weather is way too warm right now and looks to continue. Though it will get a little colder next week but not much. Heck, I think we've only had a few days that we even got in the 20's at night.
post #19 of 24
The weather situation is really depressing.  Nowhere in VT is open for Thanksgiving (that I know of).  The only way this is ok is if that usual Jan thaw doesn't come.  I have a Jan trip planned for Austria & over there it's the same.  Unseasonably warm.  Many places have delayed opening.  Not what I was looking forward too since those hot July days!!!
post #20 of 24
I read earlier today Herb Stevens the Skiing Weathermans's long range winter forecast for the east. Felt more encouraged that decent prospects existed once we start getting winter weather for it to be more sustained. But for sure our near term prospects are SOL!
post #21 of 24
You know who's to blame? I'll tell you who's to blame. That damn Loch Ness Monster, that's who.
post #22 of 24
Go West. After looking at the forecast, I changed my plans for the week of the 14th. It will be Copper instead of Killington.  Unless we get totally blasted by snow, it doesn't look like the East is going to fare that well the first couple weeks of December. What is open is likely to have very spotty coverage due to rain/snow cycles. Frozen boilerplate in the AM and spring slush in the afternoons.
post #23 of 24
One thing I've learned...  the North-east eventually always seems to get good (at least for a few weeks).  Sometimes it's early (i.e., the October blizzard that opened Killington in October a few years ago), and sometimes it's late (i.e., the Valentine's Day Storm that sent every area from skiing on dirt to unreal conditions in 24 hours).  It comes.  Just need to be patient.
post #24 of 24

I hear you. Those of us who ski in the East know that the weather can be fickle. As far as early season in the East, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.  I just needed to plan a week of vacation away from the office for early December and it looks like my best bet is out West. Then again, the day before I leave for Colorado, the East could get hammered. 
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion