or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ski sizing help

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
 I'm a 5'6, 165 lbs male, age 19. I want an all mountain ski that I can take anywhere on the mountain and it will treat me well. I've been looking through many different skis. One that really caught my interest were Line's Prophet 90's. I know that I would either be getting the 165cm or 172cm, but I'm not sure which ones to get. 

Please help offering advice on which size to get. Also, I am open to suggestions about other skis that would suit me well.
post #2 of 8

Hey i just bought a pair of Prophet 90s myself. Im 5ft 10in and 150-155 pounds and i got them in a 172. However I myself could have gone with the 179s and been fine. Now if you 5ft 6 165lbs I would suggest to play it safe and go with the 165s.

Also if you could include your skiing ability that would help.

You said you like to ski all mountain but are you into anything like park and pipe??? Backcountry or glades? Moguls???

 

post #3 of 8
 I am 5' 9" 150lb. I have the Prophet 100s in 172cm. I love this length for the short turn radius on groomers and the ability to maneuver quickly in tight spots and trees. For what I find on the East Coast this length is fine for me. Fun on groomers and East Coast powder.

Skier232 had a good question regarding you skiing ability. Because on the West Coast I found I would want a longer ski. The longer size would give me a margin of safety in some of the more aggressive skiing I find myself doing out West. Situations like having to straightline out of a chute into some very chopped up snow. A longer ski length would give you a more stable platform. So if you have the abilities to ski steep trees and hike with the locals for out of the way chutes then go a size longer. For me, I used the shorter lengths for the last 5 years to build my experience and confidence in these situations.

I hope this helps. BTW, the folks I know with the Prophet 90s love them!
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia1220 View Post

 I am 5' 9" 150lb. I have the Prophet 100s in 172cm. I love this length for the short turn radius on groomers and the ability to maneuver quickly in tight spots and trees. For what I find on the East Coast this length is fine for me. Fun on groomers and East Coast powder.

Skier232 had a good question regarding you skiing ability. Because on the West Coast I found I would want a longer ski. The longer size would give me a margin of safety in some of the more aggressive skiing I find myself doing out West. Situations like having to straightline out of a chute into some very chopped up snow. A longer ski length would give you a more stable platform. So if you have the abilities to ski steep trees and hike with the locals for out of the way chutes then go a size longer. For me, I used the shorter lengths for the last 5 years to build my experience and confidence in these situations.

I hope this helps. BTW, the folks I know with the Prophet 90s love them!
 


   Those are some really good points mia1220!  Yeah if your a more aggressive skier you defiantly want to get something a little longer. Like i said i could have gone with the 179s or even a little longer then that and i would have been fine. However, I had never skied the Prophets before and I wanted versatility, so i got the 172s...anyway hope these posts help you!
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Thanks so much, these posts have really been helpful!

I would probably consider myself an advanced skier (towards the low-middle edge of advanced skiing). I don't really do much of anything in the park/pipe area. Typically, when I'm on a mountain I find myself looking for the powder and unexplored areas, along with that, I do enjoy having the tight tree runs in there. Also, I want to be able to go on the occasional groomers and have my skis perform well, and I find myself liking the tighter turns as opposed to wider ones.

All that in mind, taking into account the very helpful advice from you guys, I feel like the 165's would be best for me probably?
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpabrotherout View Post

Thanks so much, these posts have really been helpful!

I would probably consider myself an advanced skier (towards the low-middle edge of advanced skiing). I don't really do much of anything in the park/pipe area. Typically, when I'm on a mountain I find myself looking for the powder and unexplored areas, along with that, I do enjoy having the tight tree runs in there. Also, I want to be able to go on the occasional groomers and have my skis perform well, and I find myself liking the tighter turns as opposed to wider ones.

All that in mind, taking into account the very helpful advice from you guys, I feel like the 165's would be best for me probably?
 


  Yeah i agree, i would definitely go with the 165s. Anyway have fun on them. The Prophet 90 is a great ski.
post #7 of 8
I'm going to have to disagree here and suggest you go with the longer ski.  Prophet 90 is a twin and the 165 is going to ski like a 160 or less.  It's very easy to adjust to a bit of extra length, especially if you are a good skier in the first place.  The 172 is going to ski like a 165 non-twin ski, and that is about the right length for someone 165 lbs.

Bottom line is that the extra 7cm is only 2 3/4 inches in ski length and you will quickly adjust to the longer skis.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier232 View Post



  Yeah i agree, i would definitely go with the 165s. Anyway have fun on them. The Prophet 90 is a great ski.
post #8 of 8
 I  agree with MikeC. Do not go shorter than 172cm for the P90s or the P100s. I demoed a ski similar to the P90s at 166cm and let me tell you there is not enough stability for your height and ability. MikeC is right, you will not not notice the extra few inches in the 172cm P90s and your weight will be fine for them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion