or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › Breckenridge 11/14/09
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Breckenridge 11/14/09

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

Breck was reporting 5" fresh on Saturday morning so M and I met up on the resort for a few runs. The snow was very nice on Springmeier. When the crowds got too much to deal with around 10:00, we headed over to Beaver Run and toured up to just below the top of C chair. The tour up was a little thin at the bottom, but once we hit about tower 12 on C chair, there was a nice base covered with 5" of the previous night's snow.


M touring up under C Chair

A had already been hiking and skiing American with a run on Peerless. He said Peerless was a bit crustier than American. I traversed to just under C chair to ski the fall line back to the shady side (skier's right) of American. (sorry, my cell phone resolution is pretty low)



For these turns.



You basically skied the base under the pow; it was very pleasant if a little breakthrough.

I was checking out my new (used $10.00) Alpine Trekkers and K2 Big Kahunas (used $15.00), M was using his Dukes for the first time. He liked his setup, I liked mine.


M (camoflaged behind tree) and A skiing

We skied down American, under C chair, then crossed to follow the Super Connect the rest of the way down. We only had a few snow coverage issues near the bottom.

A pleasant first tour of the year.

Ski ya later,

MR

post #2 of 10

DonDenver likes this

[Funny how that FB nomenclature works so well here  ]  

post #3 of 10
 Today found 5 more inches of snow at Breck. The skiing was quite good; it was better than some days last December!  It did get busy, but with only 5 runs open, what can you expect! 
post #4 of 10

They've been running the snow makers non-stop this last weekend, plus the 10+ natural.  What do you think?  Peak 9 open by Thanksgiving?

post #5 of 10
And, BTW, nice TR.  Thanks for sharing. 
post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkier View Post

They've been running the snow makers non-stop this last weekend, plus the 10+ natural.  What do you think?  Peak 9 open by Thanksgiving?


That's a hard call. I think they are going to focus on 8, but 9 could have a run or two.

The biggest problem with 9 is going to be access to the base of the lifts as they need to blow a lot of snow to get that outrun to the SuperConnect and Beaver Run skiable. It'll depend more on how much they want to open on 8 before they move their focus to 9

 I was surprised today at how much natural terrain was open on 8. I stayed off it as I was on my 'The CLAW' skis www.epicski.com/products/the-claw-185-arcing-rockets/reviews#880 and wanted to put them through their paces, but the natural didn't look too bad. It is an elevation thing, as anything below about tower 12 or so on C chair was just fresh snow, no base.
post #7 of 10

It's hard for me to say which I'd prefer - more open on 8, or the same amount and have 9 open.  Hmmm.  I guess I'd prefer people just spread out a little around the mountain! 

Maybe I'll do a little touring like you.  Also, I'll have to check out the natural terrain you pointed out.  Be up on Saturday for a week.

Thanks again.

post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastersRacer View Post


 I was surprised today at how much natural terrain was open on 8. I stayed off it as I was on my 'The CLAW' skis www.epicski.com/products/the-claw-185-arcing-rockets/reviews#880 and wanted to put them through their paces, but the natural didn't look too bad. It is an elevation thing, as anything below about tower 12 or so on C chair was just fresh snow, no base.
 
I was pleasantly surprised also, but I did ski over 1 rock (no damage) and did good to avoid 2 others.  Happy how my Contacts (10/Lts/11) performed, but might have been able to relax a bit more on some rock skis. 
post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
FYI, Breck has a new uphill policy for early season. You need to check with Breck Winch Cat Ops at 547 5627 to see what is open for hiking. As usual, stay clear of hoses, cats, etc.

As they are going full guns on both 8 and 9 (from the plumes I saw when I went to the P.O.), 10 might be the best bet. Send me a PM if you are interested in a Breck tour. I'm trying to get my legs back and can go anytime.
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEfree30 View Post



I was pleasantly surprised also, but I did ski over 1 rock (no damage) and did good to avoid 2 others.  Happy how my Contacts (10/Lts/11) performed, but might have been able to relax a bit more on some rock skis. 

 

I did a bit of minor surface and edge damage on the out, nothing while actually making turns on the slope. Don't worry. They are making new skis all the time!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Trip Reports
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › Breckenridge 11/14/09