My boots are Lange Comp 120 FR MF (I think 2001 model year) size 9.5/42.5. http://galacticsnowsports.com/lange-comp120-frmf-mens-ski-boots.html
I wear a size 10-10.5 shoe. I did not get them at a good boot shop, I was on vacation and blew out my Technica’s and needed some boots fast. I got the custom beds done at the Goldminer’s Daughter ski shop at Alta, the boot fitter did not see any problems with the boots or sizing.
I am wondering if you guys think I can solve this problem or if I should just start from scratch. I would prefer making these work however my goal is to be reasonably comfortable with good performance. I live in Florida so getting work done down here is probably out of the question. If I need to start with a new boots I’ll have to take a trip/vacation to the fitter. If this is what has to be done to achieve the goal of finally, for the first time in my life, being comfortable in boots that is gladly what I will do.
Thank you in advance for your input,
1) What is the shell fit like for length?
Remove the liner, put your foot in the shell only, have your toes lightly touching the front of the boot and see how much room is behind your heel and the boots shell. Use a pen as a spacer and measure this for thickness. You want 5-15mm (3/16 to 5/8 inch) of room. If you have more then 25mm (1") stop here
2) What is the shell fit like for width?
Now center your foot front to back, (same amount of room behind the toe and heel) and is the width of your foot touching the sides of the boots shell? You want anything from lightly brushing to 2mm per side. If you have 3mm per side stop here.
-->SMALL SPACE ON EACH SIDE
3) Do you have any footbeds?
Most people find an off the rack, or full custom footbed more comfortable, and helps to hold the foot in place better, Get one.
-->INSTA PRINT DONE IN WINTER 2009
So if your boot is within all of the above parameters we can go on. If your boot is just too big it is not worth working on. Your foot will still move around; you have to over tighten the buckles, and cramp to foot and cut off circulation (cold toes). Your boots are too big, and nothing will make that much better. Don’t waste your time, and money fixing a broken leg with bandaids. You need boots that are 1-2 sizes smaller. If you really want work on what you have, a boot fitter can do some-things, but it will not get much better, and will be $50 - $150 for not much progress.
So now that your boot is within a workable size range in length, width and with a supportive footbed we can go on to getting more info.
A few basic things to check first:
1) You just have one, thin, clean ski sock in the boots
2) You just have a sock in the boot? (no thermals, jewelry, etc)
3) Your toe nails are trimmed short?
4) They are YOUR boots and not borrowed?
5) You are just skiing in your ski boots? (not walking, driving etc)?
6) You dry your liners out at night either with a dryer or remove liners?
àI DO NOT DRY THEM
7) The left liner, the left footbed are in the left boot and this is on the left foot?
8) You are loosening the buckles if you are not skiing (while standing, on lifts, etc)
9) You are not skiing all day in new boots? They need time to break in
-->NO I HAVE A FEW WEEKS IN THESE BOOTS
10) Buckles are pointing to the outside?
So your boots are the right size, AND you are doing everything else right, but still the boots are not 100% right. These questions will help a boot fitter will have a better understanding of the problem and can start to help you:
Better Or Worse = (BOW)
1) BOW with the buckles tighter or looser?
2) BOW with thinner or thicker socks?
-->BETTER THINNER, I HAVE TRADITIONALLY SKIIED BAREFOOT BUT THE BOOTFITTER WANTED ME IN A SKI SOCK
3) BOW with any footbeds (custom, stock, none, etc)?
4) BOW skiing, standing, or feet un-weighted (hanging off a chair lift)?
5) BOW throughout the day (and when does the pain start?)
-->VERY PAINFUL FOR THE FIRST 3 HOURS, THEN BETTER
6) BOW on the first vs the third day?
7) BOW on harder or easier terrain?
8) BOW with the power straps (Velcro straps) tighter or looser?
9) BOW if you do any particular movements, or actions?
10) Any medical, health, or weight changes since you used them last?