or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Why do people think East Coast Skiing sucks???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why do people think East Coast Skiing sucks??? - Page 7

post #181 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by skieast569 View Post

This is going on my mental list for top 10 worst threads I've read. The West is better, plain and simple. There is really no argument.
The argument, if there is one, is: "why do people think east coast skiing sucks?" not "is east coast skiing better than west coast?" or some variant there of. So... like, learn to read better, and stuff.

I ski in the east because I live in the east and I like to ski. East Coast skiing is much better than not skiing, I travel out west to ski whenever I have the opportunity to do so and I pretty much always enjoy myself. Would I prefer all my skiing to be 'out west'? Only if it meant I would be skiing the same amount and having the same quality of life and job opportunities that I have now... and that isn't as easy to find 'out west'.

Oh yeah, the Red Sox are the best run pro sports franchise anywhere, you haters are jealous 'cause you probably like the Cubs.
post #182 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by skieast569 View Post

This is going on my mental list for top 10 worst threads I've read. The West is better, plain and simple. There is really no argument. Any skiing that you may enjoy in the East can be found in numerous places out West, EVEN icy conditions (albeit rare). You might think that you can't ski trees like Jay and Stowe have, but you can. You might think you can't ski groomers like Okemo and Sunapee have, but you can. And on top of that, even on non powder days, the moguls are always better, there are always more cliffs to drop, and you can almost ALWAYS hike to fresh snow behind resorts or even on the side of the road. Sure, the East can feel a lot like the West on maybe 10-15 days per winter IF you're lucky (in terms of powder days). Conversely, the West might feel a lot like the East on maybe 5-10 days per winter IF they're unlucky (speaking in terms of icy days). Oh, and most East Coast daily lift ticket prices are absolutely atrocious ....this is coming from a well traveled East Coast skier, mind you.
$9 at wildcat last friday
post #183 of 879
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Rockwood View Post



The argument, if there is one, is: "why do people think east coast skiing sucks?" not "is east coast skiing better than west coast?" or some variant there of. So... like, learn to read better, and stuff.

I ski in the east because I live in the east and I like to ski. East Coast skiing is much better than not skiing, I travel out west to ski whenever I have the opportunity to do so and I pretty much always enjoy myself. Would I prefer all my skiing to be 'out west'? Only if it meant I would be skiing the same amount and having the same quality of life and job opportunities that I have now... and that isn't as easy to find 'out west'.

Oh yeah, the Red Sox are the best run pro sports franchise anywhere, you haters are jealous 'cause you probably like the Cubs.

 

Edited by skier232 - 2/13/10 at 1:16pm
post #184 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post





You may resent that, but after you said that, you went on to bash numerous groups of people that evidently surround you, which I tend to just group together.  Sorry about that.  I will save you some trouble and suggest moving to Boulder, Co instead of SLC unless you do not like fun.  I don't live there but sure would if I could.  Yes, the sawks suck balls.

Yeah most of us upstaters don't like the downstaters but it's understandable that you would lump them into one group.
post #185 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Rockwood View Post



The argument, if there is one, is: "why do people think east coast skiing sucks?" not "is east coast skiing better than west coast?" or some variant there of. So... like, learn to read better, and stuff.

I ski in the east because I live in the east and I like to ski. East Coast skiing is much better than not skiing, I travel out west to ski whenever I have the opportunity to do so and I pretty much always enjoy myself. Would I prefer all my skiing to be 'out west'? Only if it meant I would be skiing the same amount and having the same quality of life and job opportunities that I have now... and that isn't as easy to find 'out west'.

Oh yeah, the Red Sox are the best run pro sports franchise anywhere, you haters are jealous 'cause you probably like the Cubs.

 

Point taken. I decided to rant a little bit. True, it doesn't suck at all...I just happened to find some arguments in here that argued the point of West vs. East skiing.
post #186 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier232 View Post




    Dude your awesome!!! BTW who resurrected this thread??!!??? I want to know now!!!
 


It may have been me suggesting everyone should read this wonderfully hilarious and awesome thread in "what do you love about gapicski?"  I just wish that the OP would go back to not realizing when people were messing with him.
post #187 of 879
Today's entry in the Northeast:

40 degrees, raining. Then pouring.
Winds at top: sustained 40mph so top lift closed.
Like the lyrics from Rolling Stones, "Shattered":
"People skiing in plastic bags, Some kind of fashion?!"
Fog, rain, wind, but hey, "the skiing was good"
Goretex: best thing ever for Eastern Skiing

post #188 of 879
Wow you're lucky here in PA its 60 and Pouring. Snow disappeared a week ago. Even the highest elevation mountains are down to thin cover or no snow. Looks like PA may not even get a ski season this year outside of the 2 weeks we had end of December and early January. Season usually closes up in early or mid March and its not supposed to dip back below freezing until February. 4 mountains are already closed because of conditions today (not wind the actual ski conditions). Not looking like I'm gonna get much more skiing in this year 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

Today's entry in the Northeast:

40 degrees, raining. Then pouring.
Winds at top: sustained 40mph so top lift closed.
Like the lyrics from Rolling Stones, "Shattered":
"People skiing in plastic bags, Some kind of fashion?!"
Fog, rain, wind, but hey, "the skiing was good"
Goretex: best thing ever for Eastern Skiing

post #189 of 879
The East may get some Epic snow and have some awesome resorts, but if you go out West the quality of the snow is so much better.  If I lived out west I would not vacation east...I would go to a resort that just had one heck of a storm and ski in waist deep POW.  Is there something off in my logic or am I going crazy?
post #190 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by BordzUpMark View Post

The East may get some Epic snow and have some awesome resorts, but if you go out West the quality of the snow is so much better.  If I lived out west I would not vacation east...I would go to a resort that just had one heck of a storm and ski in waist deep POW.  Is there something off in my logic or am I going crazy?

This guy pretty much nails it. I don't know many people out West that choose to go to the East Coast for a ski vacation.
post #191 of 879
Stephen Stills said it best: "Love the one your with"....    If you live on the East Coast getting in 30-40 days of east Coast skiing is a lot better than 4-5 days of Rocky skiing.    IMOH the BEST conditions were in Utah.  HOWEVER the best ski day was the day when the weather was great and I got to the mountain with fresh snow, well rested and in good shape.  Since I live on the east coast those were all East Coast days,.,,,    Also IMOH the frontsides are not that different, the real benefit to the west is the backside conditions......
All things being equal I'll take a Blue Bird March day with 12" of fresh powder in China Bowl...    But I wouldn't trade 3 East Coast days for that...    If you live here - enjoy it. 
post #192 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve06877 View Post

 Also IMOH the frontsides are not that different, the real benefit to the west is the backside conditions......
Who ski's the groomers?
post #193 of 879
I guess this is a thread for those of us that are bored.

I'm not bragging, but I've skied British Columbia, California, Nevada, Idaho, Colorado, New York, Vermont, Massachussets, New Hampshire, Maine, Switzerland, and Austria and I've never had a bad day whether it was raining, snowing, blazing sun, or bulletproof ice.  But then again I rarely ski alone, so I always enjoy the company of friends, the shared exhilaration, the joy of watching a rookie friend learn your favorite sport, or the awe of watching  in person the best in the world do their stuff. 

From my first day at Windham Mountain in New York with some friends where we were all clueless wearing jeans and woollen sweaters to last week at Kirkwood in 7ft of untracked fresh it's all been great - and it's still the best legal rush I can find. 

It's like saying redheads are better than brunettes - if they bring you joy then it's all good!

However, living in the west I will concede that I get a lot more sunny days here than when I lived in New England, but what's even better is having 12 ski areas 30-120 mins from my house!
post #194 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by skieast569 View Post

This is going on my mental list for top 10 worst threads I've read. The West is better, plain and simple. There is really no argument. Any skiing that you may enjoy in the East can be found in numerous places out West, EVEN icy conditions (albeit rare). You might think that you can't ski trees like Jay and Stowe have, but you can. You might think you can't ski groomers like Okemo and Sunapee have, but you can. And on top of that, even on non powder days, the moguls are always better, there are always more cliffs to drop, and you can almost ALWAYS hike to fresh snow behind resorts or even on the side of the road. Sure, the East can feel a lot like the West on maybe 10-15 days per winter IF you're lucky (in terms of powder days). Conversely, the West might feel a lot like the East on maybe 5-10 days per winter IF they're unlucky (speaking in terms of icy days). Oh, and most East Coast daily lift ticket prices are absolutely atrocious ....this is coming from a well traveled East Coast skier, mind you.

Amen! (Now get ready for an incoming hissy fit from the usual suspects)

Only one more least coast trip (k-mart in March) on the horizon thankfully. I see the winter thaw / HEAVY rain, deep freeze cycle is being played out in the least coast again right now - then will come the desperate attempts to groom it into loose granular, then maybe a 6 inch dump, which will have that boilerplate beneath it, then........... (life's too short)

Anyway, almost a foot of fresh here at Whistler, with Blackcomb glacier probably going to open today as it's been closed due to wind. No doubt it'll be awful
post #195 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymick View Post


From my first day at Windham Mountain in New York with some friends where we were all clueless wearing jeans and woollen sweaters to last week at Kirkwood in 7ft of untracked fresh it's all been great - and it's still the best legal rush I can find. 

It's like saying redheads are better than brunettes - if they bring you joy then it's all good!
 
If anyone is the ginger, it's definitely the east coast.  one time is okay, but do you want to live with that creepiness?   
and you got to ski 7 ft of powder at kirkwood?  jealous.  i miss my old home mountain.
post #196 of 879
I LOV BOILER PLATE!!!! It separates the men from the wussies!!! (lord how I miss night skiing at Blue in ON , you know the nights the ice is so hard and pure you can see through the 8" and see the grass underneath!! Im thinking I should fly into Toronto next month just to go ski it!!
Ghost are you in??
post #197 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve06877 View Post

All things being equal I'll take a Blue Bird March day with 12" of fresh powder in China Bowl...    But I wouldn't trade 3 East Coast days for that...    If you live here - enjoy it. 

I wouldn't trade 20 minutes of the east coast for a day at Vail. But I'll offer you 1 run down the Shuksan Arm for a day and a half at Mad River Glen. Deal?
post #198 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by iWill View Post




 But I'll offer you 1 run down the Shuksan Arm for a day and a half at Mad River Glen. Deal?

That would not be happening today as MRG is closed.  The rain we had yesterday in the northeast has turned everything that's left to boilerplate!

Today MRG was scheduled for "Roll Back the Clock Day" where everyone skis for $3.50!
post #199 of 879
Thread Starter 
.............
Edited by skier232 - 2/13/10 at 1:17pm
post #200 of 879
I can't believe we are even having this conversation.
post #201 of 879
 I think its funny how many people said you never hear someone from the west saying they want to go east. But now that we're getting dumped on the bears out west are bemoaning the fact they cant get out east 
post #202 of 879
Sorry, but a 30" on top of a 400' hill is still a 400' hill. even on a bad year, we still have an 11' base, and we have terrain. Think I'll save the trip east for something other than skiing.
post #203 of 879
 I'm five hundred feet tall, so I need at least 2000 vert to complete a turn.
post #204 of 879
Some places got as much as 40" and calling for possibly another 20" tonight. I'm not saying the east has suddenly become a destination to ski, but I was simply highlighting some previous posters said you never hear people from the west saying they want to make a trip to the east. I just thought it was ironic that now people want to come east that we have snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWill View Post

Sorry, but a 30" on top of a 400' hill is still a 400' hill. even on a bad year, we still have an 11' base, and we have terrain. Think I'll save the trip east for something other than skiing.

 
post #205 of 879
 Actually the people who are trying to fly from Utah to DC live here and are trying to get back from their vacation, but yeah, it is amusing.

Whee, it's back! Just looked out the window and snow is coming down hard!
post #206 of 879
No, I think this should go on a little more.
I feel obligated to this thread to point out the OP, skier232, went to Utah for a trip.
Here's a summation from his nice trip report:
(bold added)
Quote:

Originally Posted by skier232 View Post

....Amazing...I really don't know how else to describe it.  Funny thing was talking with the locals they said that it wasn't really even that great. WHAT!!! 7ft of base not the best conditions they have?!?!?  I will tell you I was stunned, I couldn't believe it could get any better then it was when we were there. Of course you people probably just cant wait for me to admit the skiing out west is better then skiing in the East. Well obviously it is, I never said it wasn't...Anyway because of all the snow it was much more enjoyable experience. Skiing the above treeline was awesome!!! As far as difficulty the trails were about the same if not easier then the East because of all the snow, and open terrain. We skied mostly blacks and skied a fair amount of double blacks. Bottom line it was awesome. Are my expectations lower for the East coast now??? Yes, but that doesn't mean I don't still like skiing my beloved ice crap mountains in the East. I mean I really enjoyed the skiing in Utah but I didn't fall in love with the mountains. Yeah the skiing was probably the best I have ever experienced but I didn't feel the sentimental feeling that I have for the mountains in the East. Anyway it was a great trip!!!
post #207 of 879
So he said exactly what he's been saying all along. Skiing in the east is not the best in the country, however it also does certainly not suck. I was reviving this to highlight that earlier posters said the east did suck and was not worth skiing on the basis that no one from the west wants to ski the east. I simply wanted to highlight how quickly that changed when suddenly we get a powder dump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

No, I think this should go on a little more.
I feel obligated to this thread to point out the OP, skier232, went to Utah for a trip.
Here's a summation from his nice trip report:


 
post #208 of 879
Would anyone like to change their stance now that the East has experienced "Snowpocalypse" and "Snowmaggedon"?
post #209 of 879
absolutely not.  my reasons for not liking the east are still present.  Read previous posts if interested.
post #210 of 879
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

No, I think this should go on a little more.
I feel obligated to this thread to point out the OP, skier232, went to Utah for a trip.
Here's a summation from his nice trip report:
 



 

Edited by skier232 - 2/13/10 at 1:17pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Why do people think East Coast Skiing sucks???