or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › What do airlines think of dual-ski bags?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What do airlines think of dual-ski bags? - Page 2

post #31 of 55

Yeah I just weighed my new GS skis, 191cm, with lifter plate and Head FreeFlex 17 Binding at 17.4 lbs.  My other two useful pairs are 17.0 and 15.6 lbs.  Add the heaviest 2 with an 8 lb bag and we're only at 42 lbs.  I don't think poles will add much.

post #32 of 55
I'm in this same situation right now. Flying American Airlines next week - MUST BUY a bag or Sportube TONIGHT so I get it in time...Would like to bring 2 skis but DON'T want to trigger that $150 bag check.

I'd like to check a Sportube with 2 skis and my ski bag with CLOTHES in it, and carry my boots, helmet, goggles and ski clothes in a duffel on the plane with me.

Your thoughts?
post #33 of 55

50lb limit is the key.  I use a Rossi wheeled two ski bag and have never had a problem.  Just skis, poles and tuning supplies.  If you stuff clothes and other things in there be prepared to lose them as they will open the bag.

post #34 of 55
Clothes are no problem as long as you don't go over the limit.
post #35 of 55

50 pound total, skis AND bag?

 

Or separately?

 

They are clear about checking ONE set of skis and ONE set of ski boots...

 

But like I said, what I'd like to do, as long as it won't trigger the crazy bag fee, is bring a double Sportube and check my boot bag (used as luggage)...

 

and bring boots, helmet, goggles and clothes in a duffel on board with me...

 

If I knew I'd transition to the Prophet 98's without a problem this would not be an issue...I would just bring those.

 

Otherwise I was hoping to bring my Salomon Rocker 2 90's (and the Line Prophet 98's I haven't skied yet).

post #36 of 55

Each piece of checked luggage has to weigh 50 lbs. or less.  As I can't visualize them taking the contents out and weighing them separately I think it's safe to say that that is the combined weight.

 

I have had to take things out of a bag at curbside check and move them to other bags when a bag weighs more and I weigh my bags at home.  All scales are not created equal I guess.

post #37 of 55

They do say one pair, but I've done this many times and never had a problem. The baggage check-in people don't open the bag, only TSA does and TSA doesn't care about the baggage policies.

 

By the way curbside baggage check-in is the way to go.  

post #38 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiMangoJazz View Post
 

Each piece of checked luggage has to weigh 50 lbs. or less.  As I can't visualize them taking the contents out and weighing them separately I think it's safe to say that that is the combined weight.

 

 

You may have contradicted yourself there - or written that in such a way to be interpreted as a contradiction.

 

First you say "each", and then you say "combined"...

 

Those are two opposite and entirely different things!

 

I don't mean to be a pain in the ass...

 

and some people here think I am!

 

But I have to be very clear about this!

 

 

 

2 pairs of skis in Sportube: at or under 50 pounds.

 

PLUS

 

1 boot bag, used as and in the place of a suit case, with clothes inside: less than 50 pounds...

 

 

$150 fee or not?!

post #39 of 55

Not sure what wasn't clear TCC.

 

Each PIECE of checked luggage has to weigh 50lbs or less.

 

On Southwest you get 2 checked bags free.  That's a total of 100lbs.

 

American I believe charges for each bag.  Each bag (piece) can't weigh more than 50 lbs.

post #40 of 55
The confusion is because of the number of pairs of skis. Officially, there is supposed to be only one pair, and poles, in the ski tube. However, Mango is saying, his theory, is that as long as the tube weighs less than fifty pounds, they won't open up and check that. However, years ago, I did have them open up and check and I had to pay up.

Also, it's not the weight of the skis, it's the weight of the packed bag. I'm not sure that is clear. Ski tubes are pretty heavy by themselves. Throw in two pairs of skis and clothes, you're pushing it.
post #41 of 55

So if I have less than 100 pounds TOTAL in

 

ONE checked bag (in this case a boot bag with clothes in it)

 

AND 

 

a Sportube with 2 pairs of skis in it,

 

and BOTH come in under 50 pounds each?!

 

 

 

sibhusky, do you remember how much you had to pay up?

 

 

This is really kind of stupid...if I could be sure that I'd adjust to the 98mm ski quickly I'd just bring that...

 

Perhaps I should just purchase the single Sportube and bring the Rocker 2 90's and then demo wider skis 3 out of 6 days...

post #42 of 55

90 under foot is fine.  If you're comfortable on those skis, just bring them.  Last year there wasn't a lot of snow in CO so I brought only my Blizzard Magnum 8.0 CA's, which are 80 underfoot and they did fine, including on the one powder day we lucked into.  

 

You can't buy skill, believe me I've tried.  

post #43 of 55
I don't remember at all. I'm sure whatever it was has changed by now, anyway.

I owned 88s and it took me a bit to adjust to my 98s. And if you are going to be spending most of your time on groomed runs, you don't need them.... unless of course you have a midday storm dumping 12 inches of HEAVY snow. If it's down feather type fluff, you'll still be fine. You'll sink down to the groomed stuff is all. I'd go with just the 90s, and if you get there and there's fresh stuff that is a struggle, start demoing. Just don't leave it too long or all the good stuff will be snatched up early in the day.
post #44 of 55
Each checked bag needs to be 50 lbs or less. Typically, skis plus a boot bag can be counted as one checked bag together and together (if you want to count them as only one), they should be under 50 lbs.
post #45 of 55

I use a Dakine Double Concourse Wheeled bag. From what I've read, it's one of the heavier bags our there. Always have brought 2 pair of adult skis and my sons skis with 3 pair of poles. Also throw in a few misc lightweight items. I've never hit 50 lbs, but I've been pretty close. Curbside check and they almost never check for weight on the ski bag.

 

If a Double Sportube with 2 pair of skis topped 50 lbs, nobody would be using them. You should be fine bringing both pair. Why own the 98's if your not bringing them out West where your most likely to want that added width.

 

If you're carrying on your boots (as you should) the weight of that bag won't matter.

post #46 of 55

I think I'll purchase the Sportube single and bring the 90's. That's a safe bet and then I can try to demo skis over 100mm. I have my eyes on the Quest 105's to round out my quiver, even though I'm a rookie gaper with no business owning a quiver!

post #47 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherPlayThanWork View Post
 

I use a Dakine Double Concourse Wheeled bag. From what I've read, it's one of the heavier bags our there. Always have brought 2 pair of adult skis and my sons skis with 3 pair of poles. Also throw in a few misc lightweight items. I've never hit 50 lbs, but I've been pretty close. Curbside check and they almost never check for weight on the ski bag.

 

If a Double Sportube with 2 pair of skis topped 50 lbs, nobody would be using them. You should be fine bringing both pair. Why own the 98's if your not bringing them out West where your most likely to want that added width.

 

If you're carrying on your boots (as you should) the weight of that bag won't matter.

 

This is exactly what I want to do as long as the extra skis do not trigger the $150 extra/heavy/large fee

post #48 of 55
But it sounds like he's sticking clothes in the ski bag and also in the boot bag. But I admit to not having retained things mentally that much for this thread. Had a good ski day, mind pretty exhausted.
post #49 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by twochordcool View Post
 

So if I have less than 100 pounds TOTAL in

 

ONE checked bag (in this case a boot bag with clothes in it)

 

AND 

 

a Sportube with 2 pairs of skis in it,

 

and BOTH come in under 50 pounds each?!

 

 

 

sibhusky, do you remember how much you had to pay up?

 

 

This is really kind of stupid...if I could be sure that I'd adjust to the 98mm ski quickly I'd just bring that...

 

Perhaps I should just purchase the single Sportube and bring the Rocker 2 90's and then demo wider skis 3 out of 6 days...

I'll make it simpler for you.  To fit into AA's rules:

 

Option 1

Bag fee #1) skibag/sportstube with skis only (technically should be only 1 pair of skis only for AA, but not always enforced)  (less than 50#)

Bag fee #2) rollerbag/duffel with anything you want in it  (less than 50#)

Carryon: Bootbag with boots +helmet/small carryon.

 

 

Option 2) risk your boots may not make it.

Bag fee #1) skibag/sportstube+bootbag (with skis and boots only).  Total must be less than 50#

Carryon: rollerbag with clothes+ helmet/small carryon

 

 

If you are within US+CAN, then AA's fees will be bag#1=$25, bag#2=$35.

post #50 of 55

oh one more hint.


Be on a look out for upgraded or premium seats that may include luggage, especially the last minute offers at checkin.  If business class is only $75 more than coach, but includes 2 free bags, then it's worth it to go for it.

post #51 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytseng View Post
 

I'll make it simpler for you.  To fit into AA's rules:

 

Option 1

Bag fee #1) skibag/sportstube with skis only (technically should be only 1 pair of skis only for AA, but not always enforced)  (less than 50#)

Bag fee #2) rollerbag/duffel with anything you want in it  (less than 50#)

Carryon: Bootbag with boots +helmet/small carryon.

 

 

Option 2) risk your boots may not make it.

Bag fee #1) skibag/sportstube+bootbag (with skis and boots only).  Total must be less than 50#

Carryon: rollerbag with clothes+ helmet/small carryon

 

 

If you are within US+CAN, then AA's fees will be bag#1=$25, bag#2=$35.

 

 

If you can assure me that a $60 fee is the worst case scenario for Option 1 with the second set of skis, this is the way I want to go...

 

I just don' want ANYTHING triggering that $150 fee.

 

CAN that second set of skis trigger the $150 fee? 

post #52 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by twochordcool View Post
 

 

 

If you can assure me that a $60 fee is the worst case scenario for Option 1 with the second set of skis, this is the way I want to go...

 

I just don' want ANYTHING triggering that $150 fee.

 

CAN that second set of skis trigger the $150 fee? 

because the rules for AA specifically say 1 pair of skis only (other airlines only care about weight), then possibly yes you trigger a surcharge if they are being a stickler for their policies. As stated previously, to minimize this, if there is curbside checkin, use that and tip a few bucks.  Or if you are able to get in the status lines by getting a business or firstclass upgrade, then much less chance for them being sticklers/surcharges are automatically waived

post #53 of 55

Decided on the Sportube 1 - just want to take the anxiety out of everything. I'm sure I'll have a blast on whichever skis I choose to bring. And then there is the demo treat option!

post #54 of 55
Good choice icon14.gif
post #55 of 55
You won't be as exhausted either from dragging all that weight around.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › What do airlines think of dual-ski bags?