EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › 2010 Atomic Snoop: Amazing or Mediocre?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2010 Atomic Snoop: Amazing or Mediocre?

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
If you ask Ski Mag, the Atomic Snoop is amazing... in fact it earned the best 2nd best overall score of any ski the reviewed:
http://www.skinet.com/ski/gear/atomic/atomic-snoop-2010

Yet if you ask Skiing Mag, scores rather unremarkable, by comparison:
http://www.skinet.com/skiing/gear/atomic/atomic-snoop-2010

What gives?
post #2 of 24
Different testers, different days, different agendas.

SJ
post #3 of 24
I don't think you can put a lot of weight in magazine tests.  Who do you think pays the bills?  They have to be very careful.
post #4 of 24
 Word.  But nice pictures!  And good to get stoked for the season.
post #5 of 24
So I get that they market SKI and Skiing to different consumers.  But, when one is talking about types of skis for a particular purpose, the marketing alone should not matter that much.  So, SJ, what do you mean by different agendas?  Is that a veiled reference to different advertisers, or is that saying that when Skiing uses the "Big-Mountain" category they have different criteria than when SKI uses the "Powder:Wide" category.

Same question to others.  Other than the different days and different testers, do people think that the magazines are trying to achieve different things with their gear tests and could that be part of the OP's original question?  And, if so, what?

Smiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post

Different testers, different days, different agendas.

SJ
post #6 of 24
Thread Starter 
Alright well the real reason why I asked is b/c I'm looking for a good backcountry setup.  I don't care too much about weight in the sense that I don't plan on doing any mega long tours, but would like something I can use for lift-accessed backcountry (i.e. Alpental) and also for a good day tour every once and a while. 

For the skis, I want something about 90-100 underfoot (I really think if you need 115 underfoot to ski powder, you just aren't a very good skier) that can do quick turns in tight spots if necessary.  I'm 5'10" and 180 bls, and used to ride Salomon PRs when I was 155 lbs, but they're way too floppy for me now given my weight.  I think the Volkl Mantra looks nice, but I worry about whether I'd be able to make quick turns in it. 

Anyone got any thoughts?

Also, I was thinking in terms of bindings: Black Diamond/Fritschi Freeride Plus
post #7 of 24
Thread Starter 
Also, anyone have thoughts regarding the Volkl Nanuq?
post #8 of 24
Thread Starter 
bump
post #9 of 24
I've got a pair of '10 Snoops being mounted right now, but probably won't have an on snow report 'til late in the month or early December. I've liked my '07 Snoop Daddys, so we'll see if these are better. If I hate 'em, they'll be in the sale section or on Ebay......
post #10 of 24
Thread Starter 
Anyone else got thoughts on these two?
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by agustaf2 View Post

Alright well the real reason why I asked is b/c I'm looking for a good backcountry setup.  I don't care too much about weight in the sense that I don't plan on doing any mega long tours, but would like something I can use for lift-accessed backcountry (i.e. Alpental) and also for a good day tour every once and a while. 

For the skis, I want something about 90-100 underfoot (I really think if you need 115 underfoot to ski powder, you just aren't a very good skier) that can do quick turns in tight spots if necessary.  I'm 5'10" and 180 bls, and used to ride Salomon PRs when I was 155 lbs, but they're way too floppy for me now given my weight.  I think the Volkl Mantra looks nice, but I worry about whether I'd be able to make quick turns in it. 

Anyone got any thoughts?

Also, I was thinking in terms of bindings: Black Diamond/Fritschi Freeride Plus
 

Sounds like a perfect fit for the Line Prophet 100 (or maybe Prophet 90 or Flite, but I would recommend the wider waist) it has the right waist width and I've heard it's very quick (haven't skied it).

hope this helps

O yea and I don't think the Mantra's are a good idea. I think they're too stiff for your needs
post #12 of 24
I saw a pretty good owner's review of this ski recently somewhere and I thought it was on this site but I guess it could have been for last year's version. 
post #13 of 24
Thread Starter 
If you find it, please post the link!  Thanks....
post #14 of 24
www.epicski.com/forum/thread/81558/review-2009-atomic-snoop-daddy

but according to this site:  www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/product_info.php  it's an all new ski this year.  I've talked to a local that felt about the same about last year's Snoop as what's said in the review but I guess a demo is your best bet on the new one.

Good luck finding your skis.

Quote:


Originally Posted by agustaf2 View Post

If you find it, please post the link!  Thanks....
post #15 of 24
Mods posted my reply above.  This post was to convey the same while waiting and now I cannot delete this one.    

"I've already replied but my post is being held for approval since I posted a link and "I'm new".  Google Atomic Snoop and the review (2009) is like the second result posted."
Edited by Canyonlands - 11/30/09 at 8:16am
post #16 of 24
 Ill let you know I just got a pair of 192s off of Tramdock.com if they are anything like my thugs Ill be pretty happy.
post #17 of 24
Thread Starter 
Thanks Bushwackerin...
post #18 of 24
This weekend I might demo these as they are available at the shop that has the Liberty Helix, which I'm interested in checking out.  Since I'm a relative lightweight, the Snoop might work for me and I'm also going to take the Mantra out on the same day.  Agustaf2, have you considered the Volkl Bridge for your intended use?  Seems like it would be a good option.  I'm hoping that my second round of demos will include it and the Shogun.  I can't promise a great review though because I'm not sure how much snow and terrain will be available.  That said, since I'm looking for a versatile daily driver, early limited terrain is probably a pretty good test for these skis since it will be the worst conditions they'll be used in with me.
post #19 of 24
Thread Starter 
The problem with most Volkls is the metal.  I think for my interests an all wood construction would be better....
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by agustaf2 View Post

The problem with most Volkls is the metal.  I think for my interests an all wood construction would be better....

Try it, you might like it...especially since there's no metal construction in the Volkl Bridge.

volkl.com/ski/skifinder/skis/free-bridge.php
post #21 of 24
Thread Starter 
bump
post #22 of 24
Spent a couple of days so far on my '09-'10 176 Snoops and so far I like 'em. Last Thursday was my first day out and I started on the '06-'07 Snoops-the only open trail was a groomed long green. Decent speeds are attainable on it-I use it for a warm up most mornings. After a break, I decided to try the new boards-better in every respect. Easier turning, better turn release and equal if not better edge grip.
Sunday I got out again in freezing rain and rain (amazing what you'll ski in at the begining of the season). More and steeper trails open and one nice set of fairly soft nicely space bumps.
Handled the moderate steeps we have here and behaved well in the bumps for a 94cm waist ski. No crud to try them in, but I'm sure they be decent if not true crud blasters.

One of my ski buddies has 177 Mantras and the same BSL, so we'll be doing some switching and I'll report the results. So far my expectations have been met-they'll make a good "everyday" ski.
post #23 of 24
Thread Starter 
post #24 of 24
Thread Starter 
Have you had a chance to try them out in the crud?  Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post

Spent a couple of days so far on my '09-'10 176 Snoops and so far I like 'em. Last Thursday was my first day out and I started on the '06-'07 Snoops-the only open trail was a groomed long green. Decent speeds are attainable on it-I use it for a warm up most mornings. After a break, I decided to try the new boards-better in every respect. Easier turning, better turn release and equal if not better edge grip.
Sunday I got out again in freezing rain and rain (amazing what you'll ski in at the begining of the season). More and steeper trails open and one nice set of fairly soft nicely space bumps.
Handled the moderate steeps we have here and behaved well in the bumps for a 94cm waist ski. No crud to try them in, but I'm sure they be decent if not true crud blasters.

One of my ski buddies has 177 Mantras and the same BSL, so we'll be doing some switching and I'll report the results. So far my expectations have been met-they'll make a good "everyday" ski.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › 2010 Atomic Snoop: Amazing or Mediocre?