New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Recommend me a ski!

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
 Hi guys,

I am looking for some recommendations on skis. I am 6'5" 220lbs living in the Northeast. I currently own the Atomic Nomad Ti in 178cm. They are a great ski for most of the things that I like to do - high speed GS style turns, crud, northeast ice, great edge hold, stable. However they are not so good in other areas that I am trying to get better at - bump, uneven terrain, some basic park stuff. They are an extremely stiff ski, race like IMO, and I just get destroyed when i hit medium to large moguls. I understand that my bump technique is poor and will look to take some lessons this season, but also from what I understand the characteristics of my current skis are the opposite of what is best suited for moguls and park - softer flex, softer tail.

So I am looking for ski that is playful, works very well in bumps, some powder, maybe some park and that is also fairly stable for some high speed carving. I would use this ski as a supplement to a less playful, more race fit Atomic Nomad Ti. 

Any suggestions on skis that you think could work well for me would really be appreciated. Thanks!
post #2 of 10
Line Prophet 90...
post #3 of 10
I'm considering the Prophet 90's as well.  I spend 90% of my time in NH/VT and an occasional trip to ME but typically get west for a couple days a yar.  My inlaws are now in Summit County so I suspect that'll be the destination of choice unless a get a "hall pass" for an Alta trip. I'm 6', 175, typically on Race GS/SL skis.  I would classify myself as an aggressive/ very capable skier and am looking for something that can do better in ungroomed conditions without giving up too much hardpack performance.  A dedicated powder ski would be a waste for me, but I want something that'll handle powder/crud better than my current options.  Is the 90 a good choice?  Any other suggestions?  Length recommendations would be appreciated as well.  I'm running 180's in GS right now I think.
post #4 of 10
Just get a pair of old K2 Public Enemies.  There's tons of pairs of 179s for sale @ around $200 and it's a great softer ski that you can use in the bumps and park too.  There's many choices out there but the PE is probably the cheapest and easiest to find that meets your criteria.  Good luck man, let us know what you end up getting! 
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdecker View Post

I'm considering the Prophet 90's as well.  I spend 90% of my time in NH/VT and an occasional trip to ME but typically get west for a couple days a yar.  My inlaws are now in Summit County so I suspect that'll be the destination of choice unless a get a "hall pass" for an Alta trip. I'm 6', 175, typically on Race GS/SL skis.  I would classify myself as an aggressive/ very capable skier and am looking for something that can do better in ungroomed conditions without giving up too much hardpack performance.  A dedicated powder ski would be a waste for me, but I want something that'll handle powder/crud better than my current options.  Is the 90 a good choice?  Any other suggestions?  Length recommendations would be appreciated as well.  I'm running 180's in GS right now I think.

Yeah i would go with the prophet 90s in a 179 but if you like skiing really fast and if your a really really good skier you might go with the 186. Also the public enemys are a great ski but there more specific to the park while the the Prophet 90 "in my opinion" is a little more like backcountry sidecountry all Mt ski. Anyway the 90s are a great everyday ski. Also i have heard some people say the 90s are great in moguls while i have heard some say they stink in the moguls... I think overall your technique is going to decide how well you ski the bumps as well as any other kind of terrain (this is not to say having a good pair of skis isnt going to help you)...hope this helps.
post #6 of 10
I'm sorry to say I would work on your technique first by taking a mogul lesson this year.  Gear isn't going to make up for poor technique.  The Atomic is a great ski and considering the length, your height & weight, it should ski fine in the bumps. 
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do Work View Post

Just get a pair of old K2 Public Enemies.  There's tons of pairs of 179s for sale @ around $200 and it's a great softer ski that you can use in the bumps and park too.  There's many choices out there but the PE is probably the cheapest and easiest to find that meets your criteria.  Good luck man, let us know what you end up getting! 

+1  They do what your looking to do well and are cheap enough.

Your current skis are actually pretty good skis. A lesson in the bumps will do wonders.
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4snow View Post

I'm sorry to say I would work on your technique first by taking a mogul lesson this year.  Gear isn't going to make up for poor technique.

     I totally agree! Good equipment is not a substitute for good technique...however once you do improve your technique and if you are really into skiing investing in a good pair of skis for the type of skiing you want to do is a good idea.
post #9 of 10
However, the op did state that he was planning on taking lessons this year.  Since that area is covered, I think recommendations could just follow.

Perhaps more importantly, he wants a more playful ski.  So I think we can find one for him and not say that in order to have fun and experience a playful ski he needs to take playful lessons, right?

This is where I would recommend skis if I had much experience demoing, but I just ski my own skis and am pretty useless in this regard.  If you're looking cheap, I've heard that pocket rockets / guns are light playful skis that are pretty friendly in the bumps.  Not too great at speed though.  So I think you might have to take a hit in the high speed carving department in order to fulfill your earlier requirements.  Perhaps there is a perfect ski for you, but I don't know it. 
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
Thanks for advice and all the responses. I think that I will try to spend this year with my Atomics. I will work to improve my bump skiing technique and pick up a pair next year. If you'd like to keep the ski suggestions flowing that would be really helpfull in deciding what ski I should take a look at.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion