EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Wife's 50th birthday present...which skis?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wife's 50th birthday present...which skis?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
My wife turns 50 and it is time to get new skis.  She is 5'1", 110 lbs, outstanding skier, skis mostly at SnowBasin UT, almost daily.  Has had atomic balanze skis and has liked them.  

Wants an aggressive ski, all terrain, stable at high speed still able to carve powder and ski crud.  She is too impatient to demo skis, would rather just get on the snow.  

So, what do you recommend???? 
post #2 of 18
 If she skis almost daily, does she have an opinion on this subject? I'd expect that maybe she would. There are so many ways you could go with this.
post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by zursch View Post

My wife turns 50 and it is time to get new skis.  She is 5'1", 110 lbs, outstanding skier, skis mostly at SnowBasin UT, almost daily.  Has had atomic balanze skis and has liked them.  

Wants an aggressive ski, all terrain, stable at high speed still able to carve powder and ski crud.  She is too impatient to demo skis, would rather just get on the snow.  

So, what do you recommend???? 
I recommend that you buy her these skis, then sell what she doesn't want to keep.
K2 Tough Luv
Volkl Aura
Volkl Aurora
Head Wild One
Nordica Nemesis
Moment Pika(that would be the big guns)


See......I'm brilliant.......eh?
post #4 of 18
I just bought my wife a pair of Line Pandoras.  They are fat (115 underfoot) but are about the most beautiful pair of skis I've ever seen.  And isn't that the best reason of all?
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawBrat View Post

I just bought my wife a pair of Line Pandoras.  They are fat (115 underfoot) but are about the most beautiful pair of skis I've ever seen.  And isn't that the best reason of all?




Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post



I recommend that you buy her these skis, then sell what she doesn't want to keep.
K2 Tough Luv
Volkl Aura
Volkl Aurora
Head Wild One
Nordica Nemesis
Moment Pika(that would be the big guns)


See......I'm brilliant.......eh?
 
Ohhhh, that's a good suggestion,  Add the Line Pandora to the list!

K2 Tough Luv
Volkl Aura
Volkl Aurora
Head Wild One
Nordica Nemesis
Moment Pika(that would be the big guns)
Line Pandora
post #6 of 18
Don't forget Volkl Kiku....
post #7 of 18
 
post #8 of 18
Thread Starter 
 Thanks for the suggestions.  There is so much out there.  She would like a ski that is a bit more substantial than her current Balanze, longer as well.  Looks don't matter at all.  
post #9 of 18
Thread Starter 
 One last question.  We've decided on the Volkl Aurora.  Do we go 156 or 163?  She is 5'1" and is 115 lbs.  Her current skis are 148 and she has always thought that they were too short because at higher speeds they tended to chatter.  She thinks she will go 163, but is a bit worried that that will be too much ski.  Is it a horse a piece???
post #10 of 18
 I'd say 156 that's a pretty beefy ski.
post #11 of 18
Ex GFat 5`2 125lbs very athletic, intructor level skier picked the 156 over the 163
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by zursch View Post

My wife turns 50 and it is time to get new skis.  She is 5'1", 110 lbs, outstanding skier, skis mostly at SnowBasin UT, almost daily.  Has had atomic balanze skis and has liked them.  

Wants an aggressive ski, all terrain, stable at high speed still able to carve powder and ski crud.  She is too impatient to demo skis, would rather just get on the snow.  

So, what do you recommend???? 
Do you really want to buy skis? Does she want to receive skis? Are you 100% positive? 
OK... I hope you won't ask how to recover from head injury ...

Don't know which skis, but I would recommend to look for customizing the design. Make those skis unique, a real present... Not just new boards...
post #13 of 18
I had to jump in.  Who here recommending The Aurora has actually skied them for more than 20 days?

I know several women who purchased and raved about the Aurora when they first got them.  This was a couple seasons ago.
Turns out most liked the ski because it was the first wider ski they had owned.  And yea! wider skis are GREAT when you have lived on a 60 sumthin under foot ski for years.

All this last winter all those women had tried other fatter skis and came to the conclusion that in its class the Aurora SUCKS.  They got replaced.

So I strongly suggest you keep looking.
Moment was a strong suggestion.
Now for your 50th I would think something EXOTIC, rare and very special would be in order.
Ever heard of Igneous Skis?

 http://www.igneousskis.com/html/custom.html
post #14 of 18
 The Aurora does not suck. It's kind of a baby step in the right direction though. The people that I know who ski it say that it rips on hard snow, of that I have no doubt. As for soft snow, I'm sure it's better than the Balanze, and a few years back it would have been called a "powder ski", but it won't hold a candle to a lot of the other recommendations in this thread.
post #15 of 18
Thread Starter 
 Thanks again.  Epic,  of the other skis recommended, which do you lean towards.  Understand that my wife is a bit of a traditionalist, doesn't like alot of change in her skis (or life for that matter).  Just wants a great ski, able to do most anything.  What candle burns brightest to you?  
post #16 of 18
 I think probably the Volkl Aura.  That ski gets great reviews and it's dead gorgeous this year too. I think a rockered ski would be great, but might be a little much in the "change" department. I think the Aurora would be perfect as the hard snow side of a two ski quiver - that and the Rossi BC110 would cover all the bases you'll see out there.
post #17 of 18
I recommend adding a side gift.  Do you folks have Warren Miller's Fifty?
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post

 The Aurora does not suck. It's kind of a baby step in the right direction though. The people that I know who ski it say that it rips on hard snow, of that I have no doubt. As for soft snow, I'm sure it's better than the Balanze, and a few years back it would have been called a "powder ski", but it won't hold a candle to a lot of the other recommendations in this thread.


I would agree with this

Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post

I recommend adding a side gift.  Do you folks have Warren Miller's Fifty?

That is a great idea!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Wife's 50th birthday present...which skis?