EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Who is getting out today or tomorrow?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Who is getting out today or tomorrow? - Page 2

post #31 of 49
Has anyone been up to ABasin the last couple days?  I know they haven't gotten a ton lately, but I am curious how it looks.  Do they make snow up towards the top, or do they just wait for the natural stuff, I can't remember...  Just wondering how far off they are from having something open, top to bottom.  Anyone got any inside info?
post #32 of 49
I doubt anything is opening soon. They only had around 9" out of the storm and lots of wind.

Just a quick look at the webcams shows the base still has very thin coverage.
post #33 of 49
Summit County, Colorado, where I live, didn't get much.  On looking out my window this morning I can't see the mountains to the east, as it is socked in to the deck.  The NPR radio this morning said there was an avalanche on Loveland Pass.  Don't be fooled by the dump in Denver.  It takes a lot more than a few inches to cover the rocks. 
post #34 of 49
Angrysnowboarder is up there right now.  I'm sure he will be tweeting all day today.  He's already announced he made it there from Breck.
post #35 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by crudmeister View Post

Summit County, Colorado, where I live, didn't get much.  On looking out my window this morning I can't see the mountains to the east, as it is socked in to the deck.  The NPR radio this morning said there was an avalanche on Loveland Pass.  Don't be fooled by the dump in Denver.  It takes a lot more than a few inches to cover the rocks. 

Yeah, I know they are a long, long way from opening the whole top portion of the mountain.  I was more curious if there is a chance of opening a WROD soon, top to bottom.  Trying to decide if it is worth it to head up tomorrow for a few turns...
post #36 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagneforbreakfast View Post

Has anyone been up to ABasin the last couple days?  I know they haven't gotten a ton lately, but I am curious how it looks.  Do they make snow up towards the top, or do they just wait for the natural stuff, I can't remember...  Just wondering how far off they are from having something open, top to bottom.  Anyone got any inside info?
I was at the Basin Monday and they were blowing snow at the top early on, but then seemed to shut it down.  They have reported 9" from this storm, but as others have said, much of it likely blew away.  It definitely feels/looks like winter here in Summit and is snowing lightly as I write this, but natural accumulation is still thin in most places.  My guess is that A-B will be open top to bottom within the next week or two on mostly manmade snow with limited terrain.

The webcams still show lots of rocks outside the areas where they have been blowing
http://www.arapahoebasin.com/Abasin/snow-conditions/web-cams.aspx
post #37 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagneforbreakfast View Post




Yeah, I know they are a long, long way from opening the whole top portion of the mountain.  I was more curious if there is a chance of opening a WROD soon, top to bottom.  Trying to decide if it is worth it to head up tomorrow for a few turns...

Grab your rock skis and go hit up Berthod Pass. A-basin and Loveland will probably be packed tomorrow with people coming up from Denver after this storm.
post #38 of 49
At least there are a few areas open.  We have had some snow in Montana but the earliest opening dates are still around the first of December.    Another month.  Arrrrrrrrrrrgh.
post #39 of 49
I drove to A-Basin after seeing a client and drove on by, around noon. The Exhibition maze was full and there were only two trails open: High Noon and Ram Rod. Although I had lots of stuff to try out that I picked up over the summer, the only thing I put on was the boots to help set B-Net at Loveland Valley where I work part time as a coach. Loveland Basin (I'm told, I didn't pull in there as I don't have my pass yet, but will now that I filled out my paperwork) didn't have the lines that A-Basin had, as usual.
post #40 of 49
Winter Park Resort got alot of this storm.

All Pictures courtesy of Winter Park Resort:



Up on nearby Berthoud Pass


post #41 of 49
If sking was easy they'd call it snowboarding.

If snowboarding was easy they'd call it pegger ski biking
post #42 of 49
Daysailer1 sniffs bait, tries to swim away as quickly as possible.    As daysailer1 is an extremely competitive person by nature this is very hard to do. 

BTW, daysailer1 has already sold a peg ski bike lesson and a $3000.00 peg ski bike and Winter Park is not even open yet.
post #43 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastersRacer View Post

I drove to A-Basin after seeing a client and drove on by, around noon. The Exhibition maze was full and there were only two trails open: High Noon and Ram Rod. Although I had lots of stuff to try out that I picked up over the summer, the only thing I put on was the boots to help set B-Net at Loveland Valley where I work part time as a coach. Loveland Basin (I'm told, I didn't pull in there as I don't have my pass yet, but will now that I filled out my paperwork) didn't have the lines that A-Basin had, as usual.

 

I rode the lift at Loveland with a couple from Indiana that had skied several days at A-Basin and Loveland.  They said Loveland had more terrain open, fewer crowds, and a better vibe.
post #44 of 49
I think the bulk of the storm went just north of A-Basin and Loveland.  Someone told me Eldora got 30 inches (of course, they aren't open and don't have a manmade base, but still...)
post #45 of 49
Back on the first page I posted a link of a map with snow totals all over the state. Areas got anywhere from 40"-0" mst heavy snow was on the front range away from the resorts.

Here is link again.
www.crh.noaa.gov/bou/precip/precip_map.php
post #46 of 49
Oops, missed that.
Here is another view of the data, as post-processed by snow-forecast,com
post #47 of 49
Looks like A-Basin is trying to get the Norway lift open for Nov 7

http://arapahoebasin.blogspot.com/

but looking at the sunny forecast with highs in the 40s and lows in the 20s, this will have to come via the blowers at night.  Copper and Keystone are suppose to open on the 6th, so at least that should help spread out the (increased) crowd somewhat.
post #48 of 49

The Upslope Phenomena
Why sometimes big storms hit the Front Range, skip the mountains

http://www.summitdaily.com/article/20091102/NEWS/911019990/1078/NONE&parentprofile=1055

 

Skier rescued from avalanche
A 19-year-old skier was buried up to his neck but survived a weekend avalanche near Copper Mountain.

http://www.summitdaily.com/article/20091102/NEWS/911019985/1078/NONE&parentprofile=1055


Food for thought.
 

post #49 of 49
As long as the weather allows it I'm skiing Bretton Woods on Saturday!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Who is getting out today or tomorrow?