or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Yet Another Ski Road Disaster
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Yet Another Ski Road Disaster

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
A MASSIVE rockslide took out I-40 near the Tennessee North Carolina border.  It is expected to be closed for "months".  The detour adds over an hour to crossing beteeen NC and TN.

A rockslide in western North Carolina near the Tennessee state line has closed Interstate 40, and officials say it could take several months to clear the debris. The state Department of Transportation on Sunday issued an emergency declaration. Initial estimates from engineers are that it could take several months to clean up the entire slide and restore traffic.

DOT said a contractor is en route to begin clean up.

The rockslide occurred shortly after 2 a.m. near mile marker 3 in Haywood County.

A detour has been set up. Motorists traveling west to Tennessee should take I-40 West to I-240 West in Asheville to I-26 West. Follow I-26 West from Asheville to I-81 South in Tennessee, back to I-40. Eastbound motorists will follow the reverse directions.



http://www.wral.com/news/national_world/national/story/6278999/
post #2 of 14
 I remember that happened about 10 years ago.  We were going on Vacation from Ft. Wayne to Hilton Head and had to take that detour.  It added about 4 hours all told onto our drive.  A real pain.  Looking at that stretch of road on the TN side, I am surprised it doesn't happen more often.
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post

A MASSIVE rockslide took out I-40 near the Tennessee North Carolina border.  It is expected to be closed for "months".  The detour adds over an hour to crossing beteeen NC and TN.
 
At least I-40 exists.  It wasn't complete back in the 1960's.  It was a major pain to drive between NC and OK for my parents.   Imagine four kids slugging it out in the backseat of the car too.  
post #4 of 14
Gonna make the commute to Cataloochee SUCK, at least for the early part of the season.  Not to mention the Green Race on Nov. 7.  
post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by daysailer1 View Post



At least I-40 exists.  It wasn't complete back in the 1960's.  It was a major pain to drive between NC and OK for my parents.   Imagine four kids slugging it out in the backseat of the car too.  
 
I took that trip from VA to OK and VA to MN in the very early 70s.  But for now, I-40 does NOT exist for anyone that wants to go between Asheville and the TN line.  I'm just glad that most of my spots are on the Asheville side of 40!
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post



I took that trip from VA to OK and VA to MN in the very early 70s.  But for now, I-40 does NOT exist for anyone that wants to go between Asheville and the TN line.  I'm just glad that most of my spots are on the Asheville side of 40!
 
Need some kids to duke it out in the back seat?
post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by daysailer1 View Post



Need some kids to duke it out in the back seat?
 
Nawwww, I've already got these ones
post #8 of 14
Cute kids.   If you ever get tired of peace & quiet in the back seat, I'm sure my brother would be happy to loan you a kid.  Payback time for him.  He doesn't live that far from you.
post #9 of 14
I was moving from north of Nashville to Fayettevill, NC back when the road was closed last time (August, 1997).  Hauling a boat...detour was "interesting".
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by teledave View Post

Gonna make the commute to Cataloochee SUCK, at least for the early part of the season.  Not to mention the Green Race on Nov. 7.  

Hopefully they will get 2 lanes open earlier than expected. 2 season passes already paid for. :( Jan and Feb are the best skiing anyway. Hope I40 is open by then.
 
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post



Nawwww, I've already got these ones

 
I hope you have leather. That one in the middle looks like he might still be wetting the seat.
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by daysailer1 View Post



At least I-40 exists.  It wasn't complete back in the 1960's.  It was a major pain to drive between NC and OK for my parents.   Imagine four kids slugging it out in the backseat of the car too.  
 
Hah!...I could say the same thing about trips between TX and NE when I-35 was being built. Ever notice that the kids of those 4 kid families do not have 4 kids themselves?
As for interstates, I think they'll get I-40 open sooner. The highway department(s) did a good job redoing I-10 after Katrina/Rita
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post



Nawwww, I've already got these ones

 

It gets better-soon, they'll both have Ipods and you won't even know that they're there-except when you crank Led Zep on the car stereo and get groans from the backseat because your music is "gay", or "lame", or whatever adjective du jour they want to use...
post #14 of 14

 

That kid in the middle wearing the tie looks well behaved.  The one on the right has that what me look or he is armed with a snowball. 
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Yet Another Ski Road Disaster