EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Feedback/Tech Talk › Site Suggestions (and Compliments) › Help! Can I go back to "old" home page?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help! Can I go back to "old" home page? - Page 4

post #91 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiMangoJazz View Post

and I used the back button (mac safari) and it worked fine for me.

Have you logged out and back into epic?

ben, would  a "clear all cookies" button somewhere possibly help?  

also a good suggestion... sibhusky if you're ok clearing your cookies... i would try that next... or at least picking through them and delete any extraneous ones as well as your epicski ones.
post #92 of 114
Thread Starter 
I've cleared my cookies (the "everything" option..hope that doesn't come back to haunt me....), logged out, done it again, logged in.... we'll see.
post #93 of 114
i personally think it's a good idea to flush out cookies on a regular basis (it forces you to re-log into everything which is a pain) but it can help to protect your privacy a bit
post #94 of 114
Thread Starter 
I think Norton does that for me all the time anyway based on how often I have to do that. 
post #95 of 114
    
Pretty amazing.  Thanks for the clarification!


     Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider View Post

We actually do get a lot of people reading off google searches and who never sign up to post.  The ratio of readers to participants is about 10 to 1.

     Quote:
Originally Posted by nolo View Post

The numbers don't lie. It appears to me we have 9 guests for every 1 member at the time I am posting (not to correct Cirque, but to substantiate).
post #96 of 114
Thread Starter 
It must have something to do with using the back button...I forgot about only using the HOME page link and went to using the back button again and the problem returned.  The reason I use the back button is I have to scroll to find the Home page link whereas I only have to click the back button in Firefox to get back to the Home page otherwise.  I shouldn't have to worry about this.  And I am NOT unclicking that box at any time anywhere.  
post #97 of 114
I really like the new home page, but man, it is ever slow to open sometimes. (most times)
post #98 of 114
Cirquerider, can you tell me what you're doing that's slow? Is it clicking the home tab? Or refreshing the page? or clicking more? Also, what environment... browser and OS
post #99 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

It must have something to do with using the back button...I forgot about only using the HOME page link and went to using the back button again and the problem returned.  The reason I use the back button is I have to scroll to find the Home page link whereas I only have to click the back button in Firefox to get back to the Home page otherwise.  I shouldn't have to worry about this.  And I am NOT unclicking that box at any time anywhere.  

It may be a combination of factors such as clicking the back button and the norton anti-virus you're using. I'm not able to replicate the issue clicking the back button on Safari or Firefox yet doing what you're describing. For testing purposes, would you be willing to disable your norton and any other add ons or utilities you have running and try again? Are you using any special features like private browsing?
post #100 of 114
Benjamin, I click the home page tab or link, or a bookmark to http://www.epicski.com/ and the page takes 15 to 20 seconds to load.  My connection isn't great, but isn't really the problem either.

post #101 of 114
 I have not had the slow issue.
post #102 of 114
Cirquerider,
We've spotted your longish load times in our logs and we're looking into it... sorry for the inconvenience, our goal is to have the page be very very fast... we're not sure why you're experiencing these abnormally long load times yet, but once we have some insight, I'll get back to you. The speed tests were very helpful, too.
post #103 of 114
Thread Starter 
I am using Norton 360 and no I am not willing to disable it.  I'll put Google Toolbar on Not Viewed, but not sure that disables it....  No other add-ons.

Also note that I have been able to get this to happen in Safari which has NO add-ons at all, it's just as issued...
post #104 of 114
Just a though benjamin, it could be the size of my subscription file and even PMs.  The moderating duties have a price.
post #105 of 114
Thread Starter 
I've now gone in and specifically REMOVED two cookies about preferences that I saw and am going to see what happens.....
post #106 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

I am using Norton 360 and no I am not willing to disable it.  I'll put Google Toolbar on Not Viewed, but not sure that disables it....  No other add-ons.

Also note that I have been able to get this to happen in Safari which has NO add-ons at all, it's just as issued...
 
Sibhusky,
I didn't mean disable permanently... just to test. If you think that's too risky, though, or you don't want to fool around with it, that's totally understandable. Thank you for reporting the problem regardless, and we'll try to replicate it to the best of our ability, or until we get more clues from other user reports. Again, sorry you're continuing to experience this issue...
post #107 of 114
Thread Starter 
The problem is that I don't just sit here doing one thing, reading Epic, and it's not like Epic is a closed system, you've got ads and stuff that occasionally I can't block.  If the problem happened instantly as soon as I did something like a recipe, then fine, but it doesn't all the time.  It's usually takes a bit of reading through a few threads before it occurs. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamink View Post



Sibhusky,
I didn't mean disable permanently... just to test. If you think that's too risky, though, or you don't want to fool around with it, that's totally understandable. Thank you for reporting the problem regardless, and we'll try to replicate it to the best of our ability, or until we get more clues from other user reports. Again, sorry you're continuing to experience this issue...

 
post #108 of 114
Sibhusky,
I take your point, and I would be embarrassed if epic were not able to coexist with any site on the Internet. I'd be very concerned if a particular site were breaking our site or any other site... and honestly that's not my first guess...seems unlikely since the browser is built to sandbox off sites. It's a bit more likely that tools or add ons could be involved, since they can interact with the browser cross-site. Though, it may not be that at all...but I'm just trying to pinpoint the problem by attempting to eliminate variables. I understand you have better things to do than troubleshoot for us, and like I said we'll continue to try to narrow it down. if anything comes up to illuminate this further, loop me in!
post #109 of 114
Here we are a year deep (or more?) into this new platform and we're still missing features we took for granted on vBulletin.

Oh how I long for the days when we had Epic on vBulletin.  I really love hanging out on TGR's forums much more now precisely for that reason.  This new platform is still just difficult to navigate and non-intuitive.  The only thing I appreciate is the threaded PMs.  

And for unknown reasons I can't reply to posts when using Firefox so I have to use Chrome.

Sorry for the thread hijack and the belly-aching, but it was just on my mind...
post #110 of 114
Sorry to join this thread late (and without reading the 4 pages of posts), but I can't believe how much slower responsiveness is lately.  Not sure if it's the interactive ads or some other cause, but it really makes site utilization unpleasant.  I don't tamper with all of the advanced settings, I just like to get on the site and browse/interact ... candidly, I joined Alpinezone and am spending a bit more time there because I just don't want to deal with the slow response here.
post #111 of 114
Thread Starter 
Just an update on this Summary View thing.  I'll go days without the problem and it suddenly comes back.  To fix it, I go into the list of cookies, delete the globalprefs cookie and it clears up for a while. 

Now, not sure if it has anything to do with this or not... I'm usually in Facebook at the same time as I'm on Epic....  That has a live feed as well?  No "globalprefs" setting, but just wondering... 
post #112 of 114
Hi sibhusky.  We pushed some site updates to EpicSki on Monday which included some changes to the feed (not so much in the display but to the behind the scenes workings) which should hopefully take care of any issues with the Settings preference "unchecking" when you use the back button on your browser or in any other situations.  Hope it's been behaving better the last few days!  Keep us posted on how it's looking.  Thanks again for your patience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

Just an update on this Summary View thing.  I'll go days without the problem and it suddenly comes back.  To fix it, I go into the list of cookies, delete the globalprefs cookie and it clears up for a while. 

Now, not sure if it has anything to do with this or not... I'm usually in Facebook at the same time as I'm on Epic....  That has a live feed as well?  No "globalprefs" setting, but just wondering... 
post #113 of 114
 stins, the new feed is working well for me.  the only issue is I have is sometimes the more button spins and spins and spins and there ain't no more.   an occasional problem.

my remaining suggestions are threefold.

1. When I select "subscriptions only" the link should change names to "show all new posts" or something like that.

2.  On the personal homepage add the forum nav selections, or at least the "mark forums read" link.

I have bookmarked All New Posts and use that as my landing page now, because I like to mark forums read for ease in my next visit.  The homepage would be the place to go if it had that function.

3.  When "Mark Forums Read" is clicked on the display should change to get rid of the red boxes.  I thought it used to do this.

Keep up the good work!
post #114 of 114
Thread Starter 
I'll let you know if I experience problems again. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stins View Post

Hi sibhusky.  We pushed some site updates to EpicSki on Monday which included some changes to the feed (not so much in the display but to the behind the scenes workings) which should hopefully take care of any issues with the Settings preference "unchecking" when you use the back button on your browser or in any other situations.  Hope it's been behaving better the last few days!  Keep us posted on how it's looking.  Thanks again for your patience.
 


 
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Feedback/Tech Talk › Site Suggestions (and Compliments) › Help! Can I go back to "old" home page?