New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Marker-Griffon-Schizo

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
I am thinking about putting these on a pair of Prophet 90's. I wonder if anyone has a on-snow experience with them.
post #2 of 22
 From what I've seen of these, they're pretty new.  I'm not sure if anyone has had them on snow, but Whiteroom seems to know something about them.  Perhaps he'll pop in to help you.
post #3 of 22
 I think they're ingenious. I'll be using a pair this year.
post #4 of 22
I've heard some problems with the durability but don't hold me to that. And like trekchick said they're pretty new.
post #5 of 22
They seem worthwhile for the fat twin tip if you want to use skis in park and for pow. Not sure about other applications.
post #6 of 22
 I was not impressed by the build quality, kinda looks like it was designed in 10th grade shop class. I liken the design to picture in picture on your TV, you will use it a couple of times then forget about it. 
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

 I liken the design to picture in picture on your TV, you will use it a couple of times then forget about it. 

I figure that's about right, but you can mount it any funshape ski without agonizing over mount point. Once you find the spot, you''ll stop moving it, but you won't have a bunch of extra holes in your ski.
post #8 of 22
I don't really believe that many people will put these on a fat twin tip and "screw'um" back and forth between the park, all mountain and powder positions.

That's what a ski quiver is for.....

There's and old saying that goes "make something adjustable and it will ALWAYS be in the wrong position for what you are currently doing with it".

This is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist
post #9 of 22
 I am stocking it..but more for the kid that is getting a twintip that he will take into the park, then want to freeride it. 
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

 I am stocking it..but more for the kid that is getting a twintip that he will take into the park, then want to freeride it. 

I miss the days when you could just "go skiing"
post #11 of 22
My Wife rented the line celebrity for a day last year at snowbird.  The specs are the same except the weight.  The conditions were mostly windblown and packed powder.  She said they did not hold very well in carving but were fun in some softer bumps.  The next day she tried the Volkl Auras and said they were way more versitile and carved alot better.  She also tried those Auras on a powder day at vail, and the were awesome.   I hope this helps a little.
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

 I am stocking it..but more for the kid that is getting a twintip that he will take into the park, then want to freeride it. 

I think you will be surprised at how popular these will be. I just bought 4 pair of Jester Schizos for the household.  For the same reasons I think lots of other people in the "enthusiast" market will snag these. And not for making day to day tweaks.

First, there are skis where you really want to dial in the fore/aft thing. I fully expect that once this is done, I'll never move them for myself. Nonetheless, a few days of pushing and pulling a cm or three using a key is better than re-drilling a bunch - and then deciding you want to go back to one of your previous holes. That said, if I had a loaner pair w/ schizos for a few appropriate days, I'd just do that, scope out my true preference, and slap non-schizo Jesters, STHs or FKSs on my skis. But, that's not what the world is giving me at the moment.

Second, it has many of the properties of a demo binding. Not super convenient for on the hill stuff. But easy to trade skis among friends and family with different BSLs or mount point preferences. With the benefit of Jester performance - which has served us well the past couple years.

Overall, I'm impressed with the quality. The toe and heel are standard. While the cable thing looks goofy - it appears solid in a minimalist way (time will tell if my read on this is wrong). The "rail" plate system is virtually the same as the std Jester/Griffon track. The rear baseplate supports exactly the std forward pressure screw mechanism. The stack height penalty appears to be 4mm. Overall, the tradeoffs seem way more attractive than a taller typical demo or railflex.

Like I said, time will tell. But there are some definite benefits with what are hopefully minimal trade offs compared to other "similar" options.
post #13 of 22
Thread Starter 
Now I'm not so sure. Thanks for the input, I think.
post #14 of 22
 Well, I put my money down and bought the Jester Schizos (and a pair of Rossi S7s to put them on) today. I held them in my hand, I really don't see how there is anything wrong with the build quality. Ii was actually impressed by how easily the key turns them. I thought it would take a little more to make it move.
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post

 Well, I put my money down and bought the Jester Schizos (and a pair of Rossi S7s to put them on) today. I held them in my hand, I really don't see how there is anything wrong with the build quality. Ii was actually impressed by how easily the key turns them. I thought it would take a little more to make it move.
Are you mounting them yourself?
post #16 of 22
 Not planning on it. I've got my man Whiteroom on retainer. I think I'll center the binding on +3 so I can go from 0 to +6.
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post

 Well, I put my money down and bought the Jester Schizos (and a pair of Rossi S7s to put them on) today. I held them in my hand, I really don't see how there is anything wrong with the build quality. Ii was actually impressed by how easily the key turns them. I thought it would take a little more to make it move.

I was very unimpressed with the cable and metal retainer mechanism in the heel, I would think the finish for a $400.00 would be of higher quality. 
post #18 of 22
 Is it possible they've impoved it since spring? Whatever the case, if it does what it's supposed to do (and I don't see why it wouldn't), I'll be happy regardless of how it looks to anyone else.
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post

 Is it possible they've impoved it since spring? Whatever the case, if it does what it's supposed to do (and I don't see why it wouldn't), I'll be happy regardless of how it looks to anyone else.

We have ours in, no difference. Maybe I am just expecting too much. 
post #20 of 22
Thread Starter 
Is there any difference between the Jester and the Grifffon other than the higher DIN. I am 185 can I go with the Griffon or should I go up to the jester?
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSkier55 View Post

Is there any difference between the Jester and the Grifffon other than the higher DIN. I am 185 can I go with the Griffon or should I go up to the jester?

Some parts on the Griffon are composite where on the Jester they are Magnesium. Personally, I could not tell the difference in performance. You should be fine with the Griffon. 
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi Smash View Post

I don't really believe that many people will put these on a fat twin tip and "screw'um" back and forth between the park, all mountain and powder positions.

That's what a ski quiver is for.....

There's and old saying that goes "make something adjustable and it will ALWAYS be in the wrong position for what you are currently doing with it".

This is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist

We can't all afford a ski quiver (not to say that i wouldn't if i could). That being said I just got upselled into the griffon schizos and I'm crossing my fingers that if they do break down it'll be within the three year warranty.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion