EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › AC50 or Grizzly?? What to get!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AC50 or Grizzly?? What to get!

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

Need some assistance making a decision on a new pair...

I'm 27, 5'9" 170 and have been skiing for 15 years.  I raced for 6 years through high school in NY and consider myself a L3 skier now.  I always raced on Atomic, but more recently I have skied AC40's with old 110 flex Atomic race boots.  I'm thinking of going down to an 90 or even an 80 boot this year.  I do not ski that often now as I live in the southeast but I try to take at least one trip out west a year.  I'm planning a trip to Telluride in mid Jan and possibly a late season trip this year.

I'm trying to decide between the AC50 & the Grizzly for a new pair this year.  I want an all mountain ski that can zip down groomers and get through the steeps and crud.  I dont do alot of deep pow skiing, but would like a ski that can get through upwards of a foot of pow.  If I was going to do a deep day I would rent a pair and get an instructor.  I stay mostly on the blacks, but ski the whole mountain when I'm with others that are not experts. 

So I'm looking for help/recommendations on the AC50 vs the Grizzly & 163cm vs 170cm.  I'm leaning towards the Grizzly in a 170cm.  Also, if anyone can recommend a good boot to look at I'de appreciate it.  Thanks! 


Edited by whitie8lax - 10/16/09 at 10:17am
post #2 of 11
Can speak highly of the AC50 for the conditions you speak of.   They will eat up the soft snow and crud, and hold an edge on the firm stuff too.  Skied them in 2' new with a loose base they did just fine.  Not the fastest thing in the west for short radius turns but they work well.  At your weight and background go at least the 170. 
post #3 of 11
The Grizzly is a very very heavy ski. It holds an edge like it is locked in and will blow through crud. It will never be descibed as playful and really does not vary turn shape very well. IMO it is too heavy for deep pow.
post #4 of 11
i'm new here and can't comment on the skis, but one thing i can tell you is that you are about to get 15 posts about how noone can help you with a boot because eveyone's foot is different and no one will give you any advice but to see a boot fitter (NOT A PUNCHER!!!).  all of the boots companies that are still alive and kickin make good products, just different.  As a huge fan of Italian products, I would go with Nordica, but then again, my foot is different than yours.
post #5 of 11
At your size I would go to the AC50 over the Grizzly..  As stated VERY heavy and both are considered a frontside ski..  I would Seriously looking into the Blizzard 8.7 VERY similar to the Volkls and many people consider them a better ski (I do)..  Keep in mind that the engineers that developed the 8.1 & 8.7 at Blizzard worked for Volkl..  I've skied them all and personally Love the 8.7.. I'm a solid level 8 and 5'11" 180...  Keep in mind these are more frontside wide carvers than a true all mtn ski...    Good luck..
post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
Understand that, but having always skied a race boot im looking for recommendations of what to look at.  I'm going to buy them somewhere I can get them custom fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post

i'm new here and can't comment on the skis, but one thing i can tell you is that you are about to get 15 posts about how noone can help you with a boot because eveyone's foot is different and no one will give you any advice but to see a boot fitter (NOT A PUNCHER!!!).  all of the boots companies that are still alive and kickin make good products, just different.  As a huge fan of Italian products, I would go with Nordica, but then again, my foot is different than yours.
post #7 of 11
I am 5'11", 235 and fairly aggressive skier. Last year I upgraded from european Techinca xlplosives after a 8 year run...I selected the Salomon Impact pro model and was concerned they would be too stiff...but they are the most comfortable and reactive boot I have ever worn...highly recommend them!! I did replace the insole with a "aline" insole...can''t be happier...I can't comment on the skiis..good luck!!!
post #8 of 11
 I skied both last year. Wasn't expecting much from the Grizzly but ended up liking it a lot. I then got on the AC50. That's the one I'd buy. It was much more agile and playful.
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post

 I skied both last year. Wasn't expecting much from the Grizzly but ended up liking it a lot. I then got on the AC50. That's the one I'd buy. It was much more agile and playful.

...Then I skied the Blizzard 8.7 and THAT was even more playful w/o sacrificing performance. 
post #10 of 11
 Personally, I felth that the 8.7 was a clown shoes type of feel. I liked the 8.1 better, and I didn't looove that. I liked teh AC50 better than either of those. The next ski I'd look at would be the CX80.
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post

 Personally, I felth that the 8.7 was a clown shoes type of feel. I liked the 8.1 better, and I didn't looove that. I liked teh AC50 better than either of those. The next ski I'd look at would be the CX80.

If you didn't love the 8.1, I am sure you will love the new AC30. I found the CX80 to bee too heavy and too stiff. 
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › AC50 or Grizzly?? What to get!