EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › places out west that appeal to teenagers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

places out west that appeal to teenagers

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
i'm 17 and i'm going out west to ski this year and although the skiing is obviously the most important part, i was wondering if anyone knew of any resorts where kids my age go? maybe ones with a lot of college age students? I'm going with my family and i don't have any siblings so i want to be able to meet other avid skiers my age.

thanks!
post #2 of 20
Skiers your age go everywhere -- since they mostly go with their families.  (Off the top of my head I know of two 17 y.o. boys that will be in Utah over President's week.)

But you really didn't ask the right question.  Unfortunately, I don't have the answer to the right question since in the evening they will be sitting in their rooms texting, playing computer games on their laptops, or grudgingly eating dinner with their families.  Maybe on the ski lift?
post #3 of 20
Mmmmmmm..... well anything on the I70 corridor will be crawling with teens from Denver and on vacation. Crested Butte has a college (Western State) about 30 mins away. I'd say the teens in CB will be the more ski oriented while the teens on I70 will be more apres ski oriented if that matters. Park City should be pretty decent. I think unless you pick something like Grand Targhee which is more of a skiing destination rather than a resort you should be fine. Try heading over to newschoolers to meet up with some folks http://www.newschoolers.com/ns3/web/forums/forums.php
post #4 of 20
northstar-at-tahoe
post #5 of 20
If you go to Jackson Hole you won't come home.    My friend's son spent 4 years  at Jackson Hole skiing 110+ days a year.  He worked and lived at the HostelX 300 feet from the TRAM. 
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastSkiGrl View Post

i'm 17 and i'm going out west to ski this year and although the skiing is obviously the most important part, i was wondering if anyone knew of any resorts where kids my age go? maybe ones with a lot of college age students? I'm going with my family and i don't have any siblings so i want to be able to meet other avid skiers my age.

thanks!
 

Breckenridge would be the place for you. Best terrain park, Best hang outs, Colorado Mountain College right in town. If I was a kid, that's where I'd want to hang.
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars View Post




Breckenridge would be the place for you. Best terrain park, Best hang outs, Colorado Mountain College right in town. If I was a kid, that's where I'd want to hang.

Also easy to get around by shuttle and can walk the town. Go during Spring break.
post #8 of 20
Probably what you're thinking of is being able to meet kids in evening or at condo complex.For that you're looking at someplace with a village where teenagers can roam. Like Whistler, Vail village, etc. For college kids, unless you catch spring break, amybe someplace like Snowbird where a bunch of kids from Univ. of Utah have season passes. I used to take my kids to Whistler for spring break and they would roam around the village meeting other kids. In addition, as MDF said, I do know of two 17 year old boys who will be in SLC for President's Day week.  
post #9 of 20
My friends and I used to always go to Kirkwood.  One of my buddies had a cabin 45 mins away and i can't tell you about all the partying we did.  So much fun.  There are kids everywhere except Bear Valley because that place sucks balls.  Everclear, smoke, beer, and girls to do bikini snow angels... tough to beat.
Andy
post #10 of 20
Teenagers = Brighton in Salt Lake City.  It's crawling with them!  They're everywhere!  Drop the parents off at Solitude first, then pretend your cell phone doesn't work all day.
post #11 of 20
Go somewhere in Canada and it might be easier to sneak into the bars  

Oh . . .

I mean . . . .

Breck.
post #12 of 20
if he is looking to party, salt lake city teenagers are probably not the ones i would try to hang out with.  i realize that slc is now less than 50% Mormon, but it's still cutting into your chances of a good time, especially since mormons pop out 8 kids per family.  that's why there are so many teenagers there.  Leave it to some little Mormon bombshell to break your heart or make you change gods while you're there too.  whatever the case, NOT what i would go for.
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post

if he is looking to party, salt lake city teenagers are probably not the ones i would try to hang out with.  i realize that slc is now less than 50% Mormon, but it's still cutting into your chances of a good time, especially since mormons pop out 8 kids per family.  that's why there are so many teenagers there.  Leave it to some little Mormon bombshell to break your heart or make you change gods while you're there too.  whatever the case, NOT what i would go for.

Just a detail, but check the OP's screen name.  I think she's a Grl.  Probably run screaming from all these old fogeys kibbitzing on her social life by now.
post #14 of 20
I would second Brighton. Tons of teenagers. Not that I'm recommending them, but for the most part, they look like they party. Although as a father of a daughter, not too sure I would approve of too many of them. 
post #15 of 20
Thread Starter 
I am a girl, just to clear it up hahah. but thanks for all your input, Breck seems like an awesome place and its been suggested a few times. Its also 15 in ski mag's reader resort survey, so I'm thinking that it might be a great option.

thanks so much! and if you have any other suggestions, keep them coming :)
post #16 of 20
enjoy being an old fogey.  if i were a parent, i wouldn't even want to know what 17 year olds do these days (or 9 years ago in my case).
post #17 of 20
Unfortunately, sometimes I know too much. Of course, I never did anything wrong at that age.  Maybe it's that my memory is failing.
post #18 of 20
Your memory may be failing because of all of those things you did wrong!
post #19 of 20
Keystone!
More 14-21 year olds there then any other place in Colorado!
That's a Fact!
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Vertical View Post

Keystone!
More 14-21 year olds there then any other place in Colorado!
That's a Fact!

Lots of kids there as well as a great terrain park but downtown Keystone isn't a downtown. It's Condo town.

(where did you get this fact)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › places out west that appeal to teenagers