EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ask the Boot Guys › Footbeds and under-pronated feet?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Footbeds and under-pronated feet?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
My feet, especially my right foot, are under-pronated.  Is there a particular type or brand of footbed that would be better suited to under-pronation?  Thanks.   
post #2 of 10
 Define "under pronation"?  Is this the opposite of over pronated?  Have never heard this term?

I would not worry so much about a brand of footbed as I would about finding a good bootfitter or Cped who can custom make you a good footbed to suite your foot needs.

Off the shelf footbeds may help you but custom formed and posted footbeds are the best solution.
post #3 of 10
under pronation is an interesting term, i would normally use it do describe a rigid, possibly supinated) foot  ie a foot which does not pronate enough to have any shock absorpsion

best solution is as Bud says get to a C.Ped or a really good fitter who can build you an insert to suit your feet, there is no one brand which will work best for you it is all down to the fitter..... I would however be very wary of a fully weightbearing mould, the inserts want to be made either semi weight bearing or non weightbearing to get an accurate mould of the foot without distortion

good luck with your quest
post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 
 I wear out the outside of my shoes.  With my right foot I almost feel myself walking on the outside of my foot.  There's a good shoe store near here.  I shopping for shoes, told the sales person about the wear pattern, she looked at my feet and used the term under-pronated.
post #5 of 10
due to the way the calcaneus is located off centre form the tibia, it is perfectly normal to wear the outside of a shoe at the heel, wearing the whole of the outside of the shoe can be as a result of many things, mostly compensation for other things going on, if you have a particularily high arched rigid foot then wear on the outside of the shoe is as a result of the foot not pronating as much as it should to adapt to the terrain
post #6 of 10
what Bud, and CEM said +

heel strike in a shoe, has little to do with your needs for a footbed in your ski boot. the majority of the human race wears out the shoe from heel strike. pronated, supinated, or neutral, your shoes will wear from the outside heel of the sole.

a well made footbed built for ski boots will tend toward being accomodative under the foot which gives great comfort and basically brings the snow into contact with the bottom of the foot.

jim
post #7 of 10
---not to,but, what those guy's said!!!!!! Find a fitter/cped, someone who is trained, not a clerk.
post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEM View Post

due to the way the calcaneus is located off centre form the tibia, it is perfectly normal to wear the outside of a shoe at the heel, wearing the whole of the outside of the shoe can be as a result of many things, mostly compensation for other things going on, if you have a particularily high arched rigid foot then wear on the outside of the shoe is as a result of the foot not pronating as much as it should to adapt to the terrain

I definitely wear the entire outside of my shoes, not just the heel.  And I think my arch is pretty rigid.  The woman at the shoe store suggested I wear insoles with quite a bit of cushion rather than arch support.  Things like gel insoles in walking shoes do seem improve my comfort when walking.
 
post #9 of 10
Quote:
 
I definitely wear the entire outside of my shoes, not just the heel.  And I think my arch is pretty rigid.  The woman at the shoe store suggested I wear insoles with quite a bit of cushion rather than arch support.  Things like gel insoles in walking shoes do seem improve my comfort when walking.
 


find a good bootfitter in your area for further guidance.

Quote:
heel strike in a shoe, has little to do with your needs for a footbed in your ski boot. the majority of the human race wears out the shoe from heel strike. pronated, supinated, or neutral, your shoes will wear from the outside heel of the sole.

a well made footbed built for ski boots will tend toward being accomodative under the foot which gives great comfort and basically brings the snow into contact with the bottom of the foot.
jim
 
post #10 of 10
Not to gang up on you, but I think you are making an error in diagnosing this yourself.  As already said your shoe wear pattern may be completely normal.  There is a list at the top of this section of fitters and there are other places to find good fitters.  Find one and talk to them.

Lou
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ask the Boot Guys
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ask the Boot Guys › Footbeds and under-pronated feet?