or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Indoor Skiing USA? - Page 2

post #31 of 57
The ultimate groomed surface. No terrain, no moguls, no change in pitch, no nothing. Except... Other skiers. To avoid the Grey vs. Red situation (reference to a classic thread here), are there "lanes"? Are you allowed to pass? Or do you have to stay behind the guy in front? Clearly you don't want to go so fast you get ahead of the front roller, but how many turns will you want to take before you say, "I'm done."? At least on a hill with a continuous fall line, you can vary turn shape to some degree depending on traffic, but the skiers in the video are far closer than I've seen since I left Camelback. If you suddenly want to do GS or SG type turns, are you supposed to pull over and get behind everyone? Change which machine you are on? It reminds me of a roller rink when I was growing up, going round in circles until the guy called out a change in direction. Is there an equivalent for this?
post #32 of 57
It seems to me that the skiers are just demoing to show off you could use it like a squad. So thats a bit of an odd nit to pick on. Its not required to have 4 peiple on there st a time. Just like you wouldn't have 2 people running on a treadmill at a time. I think it will just depend how much it costs and if you just rent the machine for an hour how you decide to use it is up to you
post #33 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

The ultimate groomed surface. No terrain, no moguls, no change in pitch, no nothing. Except... Other skiers. To avoid the Grey vs. Red situation (reference to a classic thread here), are there "lanes"? Are you allowed to pass? Or do you have to stay behind the guy in front? Clearly you don't want to go so fast you get ahead of the front roller, but how many turns will you want to take before you say, "I'm done."? At least on a hill with a continuous fall line, you can vary turn shape to some degree depending on traffic, but the skiers in the video are far closer than I've seen since I left Camelback. If you suddenly want to do GS or SG type turns, are you supposed to pull over and get behind everyone? Change which machine you are on? It reminds me of a roller rink when I was growing up, going round in circles until the guy called out a change in direction. Is there an equivalent for this?

 

Yea I don't think you go to a facility like this for a fun day out on the slopes.  I imagine the people that go are looking for technical instruction and movement analysis.  I'm sure it appeals to race teams looking for an opportunity to train in the off season without making a costly trek to Mt. Hood, Whistler, or the southern hemisphere.  Direct all questions to the Indoor Ski USA people though.  I'm sure they would be thrilled to chat with you on this subject :rolleyes

post #34 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

So, rather than answering why it appeals to you, you paste in advertising copy?

 

Well actually I did not think you spent any time reading about it.  From the nature of your response. I posted a sarcastic response to your nasty response. Now you get it?

post #35 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrmac View Post

This is a great thing thats happening.
http://www.indoorskiusa.com
I asked why you thought it was appealing. You chose to find that offensive. And apparently continue to be offended. You thought it was cool enough to post about it. So, either you are a franchisee, or you think it's neat. I was just trying to find out which. I think I'm allowed my own opinion, which is that it doesn't appeal to me, without you getting upset/insulted about it.
post #36 of 57

Other than working on a specific skill set, which by default would have to be one related to a beginner, my interest in that type of skiing would be pretty limited. I would probably still go there just to experience the facility and maybe go back a few times with friends for a laugh (watch this - hold my beer). There's too many other things to do if you have the time and money. All of them for me would involve being outside, away from crowds, and have an element of danger: bike, swim, skate, surf, hike, sail etc.

 

So yeah, I'd rather ski frozen death cookies at Jay Peak than ride a magic carpet in New Jersey (or Florida for that matter)

 

- and yes, I've almost killed myself in each of those activities at one time or another.

post #37 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
 

Other than working on a specific skill set, which by default would have to be one related to a beginner, my interest in that type of skiing would be pretty limited.

 

See now a statement like this one to anyone who has skied on a deck is proof positive this poster had never been on a ski deck

 

 

 I would probably still go there just to experience the facility and maybe go back a few times with friends for a laugh (watch this - hold my beer). 

 

And a few laughs there are, by those watching when each member of the group jumps on the deck for the first time.

 

Not picking on you personally Fuller.  This is the general thinking before someone steps out on a deck w/o the horizontal pole or a harness for the first time.

 

I have a pretty significant number of hours on a deck and can tell you it is nothing like being out on the hill.  Things pretty much happen in slow motion, and a move like edge and pressure doesn't  "turn" the ski.  Edge and wait does.  Want to make some short swing turns and use an edge ?  Have fun....and make sure your friends have a camera.

 

Every action (at least till you are very skilled on this thing) requires exacting movements MADE BY THE SKIER at EVERY level of skiing.  The deck is an incredible training device.  Do something wrong and 2-3 second later the deck lets you know....you failed.

 

Everybody should try this thing at least once. It WILL humble you.  

 

Let me tell you the girl in the video is smooth.  I'll be she has a ton of hours on this thing.  Watch her again in the video.  The pole plant is a blocking one and she exibits significant vertical motion for the turn she is making.  Both are essential moves.

post #38 of 57

You're right, I've never been on one so maybe it's harder than it looks. But you say it's not anything like being out on the hill so are you just perfecting skills that don't translate?

post #39 of 57

Sorry, but I'd rather go for a bike ride...

post #40 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
 

You're right, I've never been on one so maybe it's harder than it looks. But you say it's not anything like being out on the hill so are you just perfecting skills that don't translate?

That's the odd part.  The skills do translate, but if you use a certain skill set on the deck and use the exact same skill set out on the hill you get a different result. (ie a different turn)  That's a result of the skis interaction with the snow vs the carpet. Angulation/ Inclination will happen on the hill where it can't on the deck so the turn will be different on snow. (though knee angulation can happen....watch the guy in front when all 4 are skiing on the deck)

 

The one thing you should notice about the skiing shown on the deck is that there is minimal to no chance of getting the hips to the inside of the feet on a given turn.  You really can't get a ski into a reverse camber situation on the deck.  There is no rebound on the deck. Skiing on the deck feels a little like skiing on a perfectly groomed intermediate run on a ski with no edges and a rounded base. Cautious perfect moves would be required there to make a turn that looks like the turns shown on the deck.

 

What the deck does do for you is teach you exactly how much internal movement you need to make for a given turn.  

post #41 of 57
But can you traverse?:-)
post #42 of 57
Thread Starter 

I recall seeing a film of someone doing ballet moves on one of those decks a long time ago.  It was beyond impressive.  You could tell that they were very unforgiving when it came to less than smooth edge transitions.  

post #43 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieFlippinNM View Post

 

Any recent updates on Xanadu??  I remember seeing that building when I was visiting friends in NJ a few years ago (no offense but that Turnpike area might very well be the armpit of the country).  If they still have plans to move forward with that they should definitely reconsider the use of real snow.  These synthetic ski surfaces have come a long way in the last 5 years and are far more cost effective in the long run.  No water bill, no elaborate plumbing system, no grooming or snow making staff, and no insane electric bills from running massive air conditioners.

What was called Xanadu at the Meadowlands in NJ is grinding away. As of April 2014, the projected opening date is in 2016. Has indoor skiing/boarding on the list.  The developer is the Canadian company that built the successful megamall in Canada.

* * * 
Key components of American Dream Meadowlands, according to the project developer’s website and previous announcements this year:
 

  • More than 400 retailers, restaurants, and services, including “global retail |influenced by high streets from Bond Street to La Rambla to Soho”
  • 639,000-square-foot indoor amusement park and water park complex
  • Indoor ski and snowboard park |12 stories high and 800 feet long
  • Observation wheel similar to the |London Eye
  • 200-foot “drop ride” similar to |bungee jumping
  • Performing arts center that seats 2,400 to 3,000
  • National Hockey League-sized |ice rink
  • 180,000-square-foot movie complex with more than 5,000 seats |(700 of them VIP)
  • Aquarium featuring more than 10,000 “sea creatures”
  • 18-hole miniature golf course

- from 

http://www.northjersey.com/news/ame...t-2016-opening-1.1004344#sthash.taudY4CC.dpuf
 
 
post #44 of 57

Having seen footage of veteran WC skier (& multiple Olympian) Chemmy Alcott on the rotating carpet (I think at one point she was a spokesperson for the company punting them in the UK) it certainly didn't look very easy or intuitive.  As above I suspect the physics is all wrong, great for getting comfortable with basics of balance on skis, horrible for developing specific real world skills.

 

Lots of hype herein also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oPIROXsRi0

 

Having spent formative time both skiing and snowboarding on dryslope I wouldn't however write it off if as with dryslope, the difficulty of the medium means that first exposure to snow is subsequently a piece of cake. 

post #45 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
 

I recall seeing a film of someone doing ballet moves on one of those decks a long time ago.  It was beyond impressive.

 

 

http://skidoctors.com/lessons/simulator


Edited by jc-ski - 9/15/14 at 11:07am
post #46 of 57

Guys, it's mid September. Real snow skiing starts soon... :snowfall :ski

post #47 of 57

Sure, for some lucky folks...

 

http://opensnow.com/news/post/pictures-of-last-week-s-snow

 

One can be time/money/weather/distance poor - treadmills exist for a reason. As might indoor slopes.   ;-)

post #48 of 57

Indoor skiing threads aren't a total bust, the video above lead me to Raymond Bodley's "A Study of Skiing". I found it quite useful as I am a person who is burdened by an overly analytical mind. I hadn't really thought about MA in the way he presents it.

 

However I wouldn't follow him too far for interior decorating advice unless I needed a basement wrapped in visqueen (think of the parties!).

 

 

post #49 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 

What was called Xanadu at the Meadowlands in NJ is grinding away. As of April 2014, the projected opening date is in 2016. Has indoor skiing/boarding on the list.  The developer is the Canadian company that built the successful megamall in Canada.

* * * 
Key components of American Dream Meadowlands, according to the project developer’s website and previous announcements this year:
 

  • More than 400 retailers, restaurants, and services, including “global retail |influenced by high streets from Bond Street to La Rambla to Soho”
  • 639,000-square-foot indoor amusement park and water park complex
  • Indoor ski and snowboard park |12 stories high and 800 feet long
  • Observation wheel similar to the |London Eye
  • 200-foot “drop ride” similar to |bungee jumping
  • Performing arts center that seats 2,400 to 3,000
  • National Hockey League-sized |ice rink
  • 180,000-square-foot movie complex with more than 5,000 seats |(700 of them VIP)
  • Aquarium featuring more than 10,000 “sea creatures”
  • 18-hole miniature golf course

- from 

http://www.northjersey.com/news/ame...t-2016-opening-1.1004344#sthash.taudY4CC.dpuf
 
 

Seriously? A big ferris wheel like in the one in London? Sweet? I've always wanted to see the beauty that is N. Bergen from upon high. lol

The rest of it sounds kind of cool. I live a 20 min train ride from there.

post #50 of 57

If you think the traffic on the Turnpike is bad now, just wait!!

post #51 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieFlippinNM View Post
 

If you think the traffic on the Turnpike is bad now, just wait!!

Hence, my mention of the train! :D

post #52 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post

I drove by the Meadowlands earlier this month and saw the currently in limbo Xanadu ski run building from the interstate.  I can't stop thinking about how nice it would be to have an indoor ski run to play on once or twice over the summer.  You know, a little joint to take a few turns on those brand new boards before the first real snow falls. 

Is anybody else on this wavelength?  Wouldn't an East Coast Epic gathering in July or August be sweet?  Who cares if the terrain is kinda a joke?  I wanna ski now!

 

Someone else apparently is...

 

http://snowbrains.com/ski-mountain-planned-orlando-mega-resort

 

I just hope we don't end up seeing these in the Sierras.

post #53 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc-ski View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post

I drove by the Meadowlands earlier this month and saw the currently in limbo Xanadu ski run building from the interstate.  I can't stop thinking about how nice it would be to have an indoor ski run to play on once or twice over the summer.  You know, a little joint to take a few turns on those brand new boards before the first real snow falls. 

Is anybody else on this wavelength?  Wouldn't an East Coast Epic gathering in July or August be sweet?  Who cares if the terrain is kinda a joke?  I wanna ski now!

 

Someone else apparently is...

 

http://snowbrains.com/ski-mountain-planned-orlando-mega-resort

 

I just hope we don't end up seeing these in the Sierras.

The plan for Orlando is based on Snowflex, meaning plastic.  The outdoor slope at Liberty Univ in Virginia uses Snowflex.  If the Meadowlands indoor ski slope ever happens, supposed to be based on manmade snow.  Like the place in Dubai.

post #54 of 57

 

Drove by there once. Interesting, but I couldn't bring myself to patronize anything connected to Jerry Falwell.

 

That said, not above trying to ski on a surface like that. Could be a nice option where/when there is no other.

 

Curious if anyone's ever built a mogul run on an artificial surface like that?

 

Edit: Apparently so...

 

 


Edited by jc-ski - 2/19/15 at 10:00am
post #55 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc-ski View Post
 

 

Drove by there once. Interesting, but I couldn't bring myself to patronize anything connected to Jerry Falwell.

 

That said, not above trying to ski on a surface like that. Could be a nice option where/when there is no other.

 

Curious if anyone's ever built a mogul run on an artificial surface like that?

 

Edit: Apparently so...

 

 


The Liberty Snowflex has been around for several years.  Remember reading trip reports on SkiSE in the first year by guys who gave it a try during the summer.  They noted that Snowflex messes with bases so either should use true rock skis or rent.  It hurts if you fall so better to wear long pants and long sleeves, and gloves, even when it's 70+ degrees.

 

Apparently the Park City Olympic Park uses Snowflex for summer training.

post #56 of 57
I miss the Ober Gatlinburg from the 70s.

post #57 of 57
Thread Starter 

I'm not interested in skiing on anything that isn't frozen.  If I fall I want my pants and jacket to slide along smoothly, not interested in strawberries and rug burns or worse.  I tried grass skiing once.  It's not really that much fun wearing real ski boots when the temps are over 50 degrees.  The only summer weather skiing activity I enjoy is water skiing.  I did enjoy doing the freestyle water ramp jumps when I was a teen.  Not for me these days though.

 

Bring on an indoor manmade snow hill or I'll pass and just bike, skateboard, surf, and maybe waterski during the off months.  Turf and bristles don't do anything for me unless there is a pool or lake at the bottom of it I land in.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion