- 29 Posts. Joined 12/2008
- Select All Posts By This User
- itemJackson Holetagged by System, 9/14/09
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for an Alta lodge experience at JH or W/B Last post on 9/28/16 at 8:07pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Jackson Hole: Stay in Teton Village or Outside Last post on 10/6/16 at 1:49pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Where do kids ski for free? Daily lift ticket or season-long discount for specific grade -... Last post on 10/14/16 at 5:12pm in Family Skiing Discussions
- Flight Prices from North East to Jackson Hole Last post on 9/26/16 at 2:41pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- 2016-2017 Jackson Hole / Grand Targhee Meetup Thread Last post on 10/9/16 at 7:04pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/17/16
- Jackson Hole Mountain Resort - An Unofficial Guide to Skiing...Last edited: 10/8/13
- Back Home in the Jackson BackcountryLast edited: 9/12/16
- Jackson Hole Guide To Skiing Jackson Hole Mountain ResortLast edited: 10/25/11
- Powder 8 Tracks In Cody BowlLast edited: 9/12/16
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
Jackson Hole Snow Conditions Over New Years?post #1 of 99/11/09 at 8:39amThread StarterA buddy and I are looking for a long weekend ski trip over the holidays, and desire to use airline award miles. At the moment, only award availability I can find to a ski destination is to Jackson Hole over New Years. I am pleased to be able to find award travel availability over the New Year's holiday, and I do love Jackson Hole, but how are the snow conditions? I am concerend it may be too early in the season. Obviously no point in going if there's no snow. What's the word? Thanks for your help.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 99/12/09 at 8:46pmpost #3 of 99/14/09 at 11:26ampost #4 of 99/14/09 at 11:50amWe usually have great snow at that time. We also have crowds. It's still a great time, if you could arrive on Jan 5 it would be a ghost town. If I could accuratly predict the snow, I wouldn't be posting here. If it seems really crowded take a lesson and cut lines. In fact if you have 4 people I would strongly suggest budgeting the cost of a private into the trip so you can cut lines and get the early tram on your best powder day of the trip. You would have a good chance of getting some of the best lines of your life and you might even learn something. I would book.post #5 of 99/14/09 at 12:02pm
I'd never plan a trip to Jackson that early in the season. On the other hand, just over the pass is Grand Targhee which usually has some of the best early season coverage in the Rockies. If you go to Jackson for New Years get a rental car with AWD & be ready to drive to Targhee.post #6 of 99/15/09 at 6:35amIf JH doesn't have the goods, there's a good chance Targhee will. Targhee will also have a fraction of the people even at peak time. I skied Targhee last year in Dec for 4 days. They had a slow start to the season and I was sweating a bit but it turned out to be absolutely sick. Got about 4 feet of snow while I was there and there wasn't a soul on the mountain. I used to ski the rockies right after New Years as well and if the snow is good it can be the best time to be there as it's cheap and not crowded. Prices used to drop on Jan 2 but now it's as late as the 4th-5th. Good luck.post #7 of 99/16/09 at 8:26amQuote:
I must say the early tram(s), is the one thing I don't like about Jackson. It's BS that you can get in line at 6am for first box and still have 200 people in front of you, just because they paid more. It's the only place I've ever been were locals hire all the guides on big days.post #8 of 99/17/09 at 5:02pmOn average Jackson has adequate snow by New Year's. There have been several recent years where it's looked very sketchy and limited mid-December but a big dump right near Christmas has saved the day.Quote:Yes, Jackson's prime time is from the end of the holiday crunch through about President's weekend, when the sun will start affecting the numerous SE-facing slopes more rapidly.It's still a great time, if you could arrive on Jan 5 it would be a ghost town.
Jackson's lift system does not strike me as one that would handle crowds well. So tetonpwdrjunkie's advice to come after January 5 sounds wise to me.post #9 of 99/20/09 at 7:53amQuote:
I would have agreed to to that a year ago, but the new tram really moves people up the hill. There was very seldom more than a two-tram wait at the bottom last year, even on powder days. Also, because the tram is now such a attractive alternative, there are much shorter lines on the other two mountain-access lifts, the gondola and Apres Vous.
People DO still line up for the tram at 7:00am on powder days, but I've seen the same things at Alta and Snowbird.
- Jackson Hole Snow Conditions Over New Years?
- Jackson Hole Mountain Resort - An Unofficial Guide to Skiing...
- › EpicSki is not down - Comcast major DNS outage 2 minutes ago
- › Rate my workout! 9 minutes ago
- › Ski Pole length question? along with decision on what ones to buy 18 minutes ago
- › "The only people who want to carve any more..." 31 minutes ago
- › Recommendation allmountain skis [to replace Armada TST] 36 minutes ago
- › Arc'teryx Theta SVX shell, Large, Carbon Copy color 56 minutes ago
- › New Instructional Video: JF Beaulieu, Andreas Spittle & Nadine... 1 hour, 2 minutes ago
- › Planning a Heli-Skiing trip to BC 1 hour, 5 minutes ago
- › Why WOULDN'T you wear an Airbag when heli or cat skiing? 1 hour, 10 minutes ago
- › Vail to buy Whistler/Blackcomb 1 hour, 13 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer
- › 68 Days: A Story of Skiing's Life...