- 29 Posts. Joined 12/2008
- Select All Posts By This User
- itemJackson Holetagged by System, 9/14/09
Related Forum Threads
- Jackson Hole March 10 - 15 Last post on 3/6/17 at 2:25pm in General Skiing Discussion
- JH Steep and Deep vs Alta Powder Tracks vs. ? Last post on 2/20/17 at 7:10am in General Skiing Discussion
- Jackson Hole CLOSED on 2/8, re-opened on 2/13/17, wind damage meant NO POWER for a few days at... Last post on 2/21/17 at 3:32pm in Skiing News
- Jackson Hole Closed, hits 400" Last post on 2/10/17 at 7:22am in General Skiing Discussion
- Jackson hole ski trip Last post on 2/12/17 at 8:36am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki Interview with Jess McMillan
Last edited: 11/21/16
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass OptionsLast edited: 10/24/16
- Jackson Hole Mountain Resort - An Unofficial Guide to Skiing...Last edited: 10/8/13
- Back Home in the Jackson BackcountryLast edited: 9/12/16
- Jackson Hole Guide To Skiing Jackson Hole Mountain ResortLast edited: 10/25/11
After seeing only two reviews, both of them from five years ago, I decided to add to Apex's reputation. If you're into skiing and don't care for the extras like shopping, cafes, restaurants,...
This is a great mid week mountain. Plenty of corduroy and no lift lines. They offer mid week deals depending on what state you live in which saves over 30 dollars. Nothing here that is called a...
Spent 5 days there during fairly low snow conditions with about of foot of new snow the night we arrived and 6 inches later in the week. It was cold and windy for most of our stay which meant that...
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
Jackson Hole Snow Conditions Over New Years?post #1 of 99/11/09 at 8:39amThread StarterA buddy and I are looking for a long weekend ski trip over the holidays, and desire to use airline award miles. At the moment, only award availability I can find to a ski destination is to Jackson Hole over New Years. I am pleased to be able to find award travel availability over the New Year's holiday, and I do love Jackson Hole, but how are the snow conditions? I am concerend it may be too early in the season. Obviously no point in going if there's no snow. What's the word? Thanks for your help.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 99/12/09 at 8:46pmpost #3 of 99/14/09 at 11:26ampost #4 of 99/14/09 at 11:50amWe usually have great snow at that time. We also have crowds. It's still a great time, if you could arrive on Jan 5 it would be a ghost town. If I could accuratly predict the snow, I wouldn't be posting here. If it seems really crowded take a lesson and cut lines. In fact if you have 4 people I would strongly suggest budgeting the cost of a private into the trip so you can cut lines and get the early tram on your best powder day of the trip. You would have a good chance of getting some of the best lines of your life and you might even learn something. I would book.post #5 of 99/14/09 at 12:02pm
I'd never plan a trip to Jackson that early in the season. On the other hand, just over the pass is Grand Targhee which usually has some of the best early season coverage in the Rockies. If you go to Jackson for New Years get a rental car with AWD & be ready to drive to Targhee.post #6 of 99/15/09 at 6:35amIf JH doesn't have the goods, there's a good chance Targhee will. Targhee will also have a fraction of the people even at peak time. I skied Targhee last year in Dec for 4 days. They had a slow start to the season and I was sweating a bit but it turned out to be absolutely sick. Got about 4 feet of snow while I was there and there wasn't a soul on the mountain. I used to ski the rockies right after New Years as well and if the snow is good it can be the best time to be there as it's cheap and not crowded. Prices used to drop on Jan 2 but now it's as late as the 4th-5th. Good luck.post #7 of 99/16/09 at 8:26amQuote:
I must say the early tram(s), is the one thing I don't like about Jackson. It's BS that you can get in line at 6am for first box and still have 200 people in front of you, just because they paid more. It's the only place I've ever been were locals hire all the guides on big days.post #8 of 99/17/09 at 5:02pmOn average Jackson has adequate snow by New Year's. There have been several recent years where it's looked very sketchy and limited mid-December but a big dump right near Christmas has saved the day.Quote:Yes, Jackson's prime time is from the end of the holiday crunch through about President's weekend, when the sun will start affecting the numerous SE-facing slopes more rapidly.It's still a great time, if you could arrive on Jan 5 it would be a ghost town.
Jackson's lift system does not strike me as one that would handle crowds well. So tetonpwdrjunkie's advice to come after January 5 sounds wise to me.post #9 of 99/20/09 at 7:53amQuote:
I would have agreed to to that a year ago, but the new tram really moves people up the hill. There was very seldom more than a two-tram wait at the bottom last year, even on powder days. Also, because the tram is now such a attractive alternative, there are much shorter lines on the other two mountain-access lifts, the gondola and Apres Vous.
People DO still line up for the tram at 7:00am on powder days, but I've seen the same things at Alta and Snowbird.
- Jackson Hole Snow Conditions Over New Years?
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › So the NE is going to have a "weather event starting Thursady night... 38 minutes ago
- › How do I screw bindings on Stockli speedplates? 58 minutes ago
- › Anyone had MSC (aka Regenexx) done to knee and ski'd to tell about it? 1 hour, 36 minutes ago
- › New ski advice [northeast, Mantra? Bonafide?] 1 hour, 44 minutes ago
- › Semantics 3 hours, 23 minutes ago
- › Mammoth Mountain for 2016-2017 3 hours, 52 minutes ago
- › Zipfit Owners 4 hours, 5 minutes ago
- › My 2nd annual Banff trip: March 9 – 11, 2017 4 hours, 19 minutes ago
- › Race Skis - Can't get side edges sharp in certain places 5 hours, 4 minutes ago
- › Praxis Custom Sale Up 5 hours, 33 minutes ago
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview