or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:


post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
3 Questions:
1. Paul, when you say that you ski better than 97% of other skiers, tell me how you define better. Please be specific.
2. Bob Barnes, you say that 99% of skiers push the skis out to the side. Does this necessarily make the other 1% better skiers?
3. If the answer to 2 is yes, and Paul is in that 1% (which I believe he is), does that make his claim true?
post #2 of 6
Not an answer, but I think this focus on 'percentage' is misleading. I'm an accomplished skier - been doing it for a long time. PSIA-wise, I'm somewhere between 8 and 9. I'm also 'only' 52. I used to race. I call myself an ex-expert. Anyway, here's the point (you mean there is one?): When I go skiing in New England, I normally see no more than 10 people in a day who I consider to be 'better' than me. OK, how many people are skiing on a normal day at an average Eastern ski area? Let's say it's 4000. So, if my observations are reasonably objective, I'm 'better' than 99.75% (no, not quite 103%) of all the skiers there! Am I that good? I doubt it. The point is that most people don't ski REALLY well. The whole 'better than X%' thing seems somewhat silly. By the way, if I were 'better' than only 97% of all the skiers there, there would be 120 skiers on the hill 'better' than me - maybe I can look forward to that at the next Bears Gathering!

BE the skis!

<FONT size="1">

[This message has been edited by Tominator (edited June 19, 2001).]</FONT>
post #3 of 6

Lets drop the 97% thang. It's way too confrontative and that's not my agenda. I'm looking to make friends, not enemies.

You know, I was way too into the Harb thang -"blinded by the light". Sure, it's been great for me and I'm proud of my skills. But Miles, I've put a lot of time and effort in and I think I have some natural ability.

I will say that I watch skiers of all abilities and I see major "flaws" in their skills. The skiers I see first movement is with the uphill ski - they twist it to start the turn. And, the skiers I see don't; relax, flatten, flex their stance ski (downhill) to start the new turn. Now, this is not an endorsement of PMTS - I'm over being a walking/talking Harbian. Bob B has said that this is a basic flaw and teaches skiers ways to overcome it.

You know, for me, skiing is no longer about being better - it's about having fun. Along the way, my personal goals are expert skiing anywhere on the mountain and in any conditions. I'm working to perfect my skills and I'm getting close. And I'm having a blast! I'll leave it at that.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to take one foot out of my mouth. Now I just have to work on the other one - ha ha.

post #4 of 6
Okay.... Who hit Paul with the "nice" stick?!?!

I'm concerned that it may get a bit boring around here now.

G-dubs, you still out there?

Other than that, I agree with Tominator. It gets even worse when you start looking at only paying customers, and not at professionals.

I think it says less about how good I am, to say that I'm better than xx% of the skiers, than it says how pathetic the general skiing population is. I love it when I go to a "real" ski area, and I see people that can actually ski.

**Due to the power shortage, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off indefinitely.
post #5 of 6
I think that a majority of the people you see on the average ski slope are not interested in becoming expert skiers - in fact not really very interested in improving all that much. If they can get around the mountain well enough to keep up with their friends/family and have fun, that seems to be enough to keep them happy. They are more into the overall vacation experience than they are into the skiing activity itself. If you are looking at skiers at a destination area, most of them probably don't get out more than a few times per year.

Those of us who participate in this forum are far more dedicated to skiing and motivated to learn than average, or we wouldn't be here. One of the challenges that faces the ski resort industry is motivating guests to take higher level lessons. I don't know what the overall industry statistics are, but where I teach part time I would estimate that less than 10% of ski school students ever takes a lesson more advanced than the first one (excepting kids). They probably feel like they don't ski frequently enough to make it worthwhile.

post #6 of 6
Don't worry JohnH, I have not gone anywhere, I am still lurking and making the occasional post, but an oppurtunity for something big has not presented itself. Just wait friends and something will strike me. In the meantime the real MPK has returned and is currently putting everyone back in line over at Powdermag, wait for his return here to set you right...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Instruction & Coaching